Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Nothing is destroying the NFL. The average NFL reg. season game was 17 million. The two BEST CFB games (outside of playoffs) were 10 and 15 million. Keep in mind there are prime time slot network college games that barely break 1M.

I also don't think NFL is too scared about losing it's feeder league. What else are college players going to do? It's not like CFB would disappear, it will just take a beating in ratings, and ESPN and Fox lose money.

The National games on network TV in the NFL typically get 15-28M, with the top being 38M! Now, the NFL network games and the Fox/CBS games that are doubled up and regional tend to get 7-9M. So basically those games' viewership gets cut in about half, which makes sense.

If you open up slots for 3 games on Sunday, that would mean almost every game CBS has is national, with what, two being regional and sharing a slot? So, due to CFB competition you don't just double viewership of what would've been an otherwise doubled up regional game. But you wouldn't have to for it to make sense financially.

Now, who knows if the NFL would allow it, but if CBS stays out of CFB, that would be the first time since the very early days of Fox's NFL coverage where there was an NFL-carrying network that did not have college football.

With that said, I don't think it happens.

It's not just about drafting players, it's about drafting players who come in with name recognition. That's hard to do if nobody watches college football.

Right now the NFL has everything it wants. The players come into the league as marketable stars, the NFL draft gets better ratings than many other sports finals games, and they're going to jeopardize that for what?

It won't happen because it's a fantasy land argument. The NFL tells the networks when and how these games will be aired, not the other way around.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
How do you move media money into NIL?

I was under impression this was just going to allow Nebraska to hire and fire coaches even faster and constantly rebuild facilities...stuff the Big Ten could already do more easily than any other conference.

Even if it becomes easy to just buy players with media money. Somebody has to lose and some of these stadiums like UCLA and Rutgers are already empty. Fandoms are going to get excited and grow from losing?

The whole thing is pretty irrational.

Cash grab so some people make more money in short term. It's not going to expand the sport. Examples of college football growing are Boise State, Utah, UCF, East Carolina, TCU...or ISU and Kansas State now being healthy programs that sell out large stadiums compared to 1988 where they were considering dropping out of major football and had very few actual fans.

College football isn't going to grow by only directly being tied to alumni of just 40 schools (a handful of which aren't even putting butts in seats and eyes on screens now) instead of 120.

It'll be really good for a few people making money right now, and then in 20 years it'll go away for the reasons nobody cares about the Iowa Cubs and Iowa Energy. Unless they find a way to include everybody and keep the only thing that makes college football cool compared to the NFL.
If schools convert media money to NIL or otherwise funnel it to the players, those players legally become employees, which then opens up a whole world or rights for the employees and responsibilities for the universities. It's something the Universities have done everything possible to avoid, so it's hard to see them doing an about-face and going this route.

As it stands, the universities can coordinate NIL money with boosters. Something along the lines of telling a booster "Our QB room is taken care of, but our O-line sure could use a little help" and having the booster give money to the right players.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
It's not just about drafting players, it's about drafting players who come in with name recognition. That's hard to do if nobody watches college football.

This strikes me as a CFB-fan centric view of the NFL. There are tons and tons of NFL fans who don’t follow CFB at all. Most fans in big cities are like this. They do not care if a player was totally unknown in college if he breaks out in the NFL. I don’t think rookie notoriety from time in CFB has much of an effect on NFL popularity or revenue. Maybe a negligible boost if that.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Going to type something controversial: In the decade+ I lived in Ames I only ever went to Hickory Park when a guest was in town and wanted to go. It just really wasn't that good IMO. Average.
Hickory Park ******* sucks and I will fight anyone that thinks its good.

Price to portions are the only thing good about it

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This strikes me as a CFB-fan centric view of the NFL. There are tons and tons of NFL fans who don’t follow CFB at all. Most fans in big cities are like this. They do not care if a player was totally unknown in college if he breaks out in the NFL. I don’t think rookie notoriety from time in CFB has much of an effect on NFL popularity or revenue. Maybe a negligible boost if that.

thats-very-possible-easy.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If schools convert media money to NIL or otherwise funnel it to the players, those players legally become employees, which then opens up a whole world or rights for the employees and responsibilities for the universities. It's something the Universities have done everything possible to avoid, so it's hard to see them doing an about-face and going this route.

As it stands, the universities can coordinate NIL money with boosters. Something along the lines of telling a booster "Our QB room is taken care of, but our O-line sure could use a little help" and having the booster give money to the right players.

I'm sure all of that will be tried.

What I'm skeptical about is if the Pac/Big12/ACC/MWC all fade away into irrelevance or a lower division, that any of this will make people forget about the NFL and be a Rutgers fan instead. I'm also skeptical they are going to get all these people in Ohio and Alabama to suddenly be BIGGER fans of Ohio State and Alabama.

It's all consolidation and contraction where a few make a lot, it's not net long term growth.

There's no real world reason to think fans of the 80 programs being left behind are going to jump ship and be Illinois fans rather than NFL fans or fans of other sports or not sports fans at all. There's no real world reason to think people will choose this over the NFL or that NFL only fans will now be fans of both pro leagues.

It doesn't matter whether the 40-48 team Big 10/SEC has the grandfathered in crap football schools or not. The same would be true if they do a breakaway of 24-30 teams dropping the dead weight. It just doesn't make sense (other than for a small few who will make a lot in next 10-20 years before it fades). They are removing the key aspect that makes me a college football fan over pro football. I know I can't be some rare unicorn.

I'm already done watching this year outside of ISU. There's absolutely no way I would chose to be a UCLA fan (my closest super league team nobody cares about) over being an NFL fan or maybe watching more NBA basketball and international soccer. It's all about my alma mater and the community I grew up in, kill that and you kill the whole thing for me forever.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't know what's more ridiculous. The fact that California passed that law in the first place, or that people think they'd actually enforce it with UCLA when there are millions of dollars on the line. Laws like that don't apply to the elites.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yea, also consider that at best most may know who the first or second round picks are so we are talking 1-3 players on a squad of 53 so if they know their NFL team, they already know 90-96% of their starters for the next year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For future reference before this thread ends up in the cave. And also to ensure it does end up in the cave:

I would agree with going Korean for UCLA rather than traditional american bbq places (which mostly suck), should have gone Korean for USC too. I tried these local Hawaiian bbq places and it's like really bad picnic food, I don't get the appeal at all.

I am sad Ames can't be Battles anymore. No frills but some brisket and texas toast was the taste of ISU to me.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't know what's more ridiculous. The fact that California passed that law in the first place, or that people think they'd actually enforce it with UCLA when there are millions of dollars on the line. Laws like that don't apply to the elites.

Like always with virtue signaling, when it comes time to make any actual sacrifice, they will quickly find a way to justify their change in stance.

It’s all about feel good hashtags and whatnot.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
A dumb question with respect for GORs, and it is dumb, but can a school field two teams in a single NCAA sport?

And if the NCAA prohibits, could a SEC-ESPN led separation from NCAA in football, which has also been promoted by many other ADs in other conferences, allow it as a way to bypass ACC GOR?

I feel like when schools are looking at earning more than $750-$850 million more over 14 years if in a P2, are not as blue sky as they should be

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
A dumb question with respect for GORs, and it is dumb, but can a school field two teams in a single NCAA sport?

And if the NCAA prohibits, could a SEC-ESPN led separation from NCAA in football, which has also been promoted by many other ADs in other conferences, allow it as a way to bypass ACC GOR?

I feel like when schools are looking at earning more than $750-$850 million more over 14 years if in a P2, are not as blue sky as they should be

Andy Staples reported on the actual GOR text. It says School assigns the rights to broadcast “any athletic event emanating from the campus of School” for the period of the GOR.

So your idea would not work but if UNC wanted to play all road games…?

Perhaps Georgia Tech could join the B1G and have a schedule of only “away” games, but half of those “away” games were at the Falcons stadium.

Would need a good lawyer to actually say more here.

Reactions: WhoISthis

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

If you are a Rutgers or Miss St with a smaller booster pool, it seems like it's going to be very tempting to try to turn that media money into NIL money to better compete and outrecruit teams not in the big 2 conferences. Maybe their administrators will just be happy to keep cashing the checks but it does seem like a really strange situation that fans and boosters won't care for.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Nothing is destroying the NFL. The average NFL reg. season game was 17 million. The two BEST CFB games (outside of playoffs) were 10 and 15 million. Keep in mind there are prime time slot network college games that barely break 1M.

I also don't think NFL is too scared about losing it's feeder league. What else are college players going to do? It's not like CFB would disappear, it will just take a beating in ratings, and ESPN and Fox lose money.

The National games on network TV in the NFL typically get 15-28M, with the top being 38M! Now, the NFL network games and the Fox/CBS games that are doubled up and regional tend to get 7-9M. So basically those games' viewership gets cut in about half, which makes sense.

If you open up slots for 3 games on Sunday, that would mean almost every game CBS has is national, with what, two being regional and sharing a slot? So, due to CFB competition you don't just double viewership of what would've been an otherwise doubled up regional game. But you wouldn't have to for it to make sense financially.

Now, who knows if the NFL would allow it, but if CBS stays out of CFB, that would be the first time since the very early days of Fox's NFL coverage where there was an NFL-carrying network that did not have college football.

With that said, I don't think it happens.
I understand the NFL kills all other sports but there are only 15-16 games a week. But how many college a weekend? Two different models. I don't have the numbers in front of me but the NCAA has to be way more gross?

Reactions: isutrevman

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm sure all of that will be tried.

What I'm skeptical about is if the Pac/Big12/ACC/MWC all fade away into irrelevance or a lower division, that any of this will make people forget about the NFL and be a Rutgers fan instead. I'm also skeptical they are going to get all these people in Ohio and Alabama to suddenly be BIGGER fans of Ohio State and Alabama.

It's all consolidation and contraction where a few make a lot, it's not net long term growth.

There's no real world reason to think fans of the 80 programs being left behind are going to jump ship and be Illinois fans rather than NFL fans or fans of other sports or not sports fans at all. There's no real world reason to think people will chose this over the NFL or that NFL only fans will now be fans of both pro leagues.

It doesn't matter whether the 40-48 team Big 12/SEC has the grandfathered in crap football schools or not. The same would be true if they do a breakaway of 24-30 teams dropping the dead weight. It just doesn't make sense (other than for a small few who will make a lot in next 10-20 years before it fades). They are removing the key aspect that makes me a college football fan over pro football. I know I can't be some rare unicorn.

I'm already done watching this year outside of ISU. There's absolutely no way I would chose to be a UCLA fan (my closest super league team nobody cares about) over being an NFL fan or maybe watching more NBA basketball and international soccer. It's all about my alma mater and the community I grew up in, kill that and you kill the whole thing for me forever.

Who is arguing any of this except maybe the first line of your first sentence (and even there that's only a very few blowhards)

I don't know if you're allowing your fears to get the better of you or what.

This will certainly create haves and have nots in college football, but that has always been the case. Maybe it will create some new haves and some new have nots.

Will the Big 10 and SEC get a lions share of playoff opportunities? Yeah probably, but would that very likely not been the case anyway? The end result of realignment and NIL will result in Alabama and OSU's of the world being stronger, and harder for anyone outside of the Big 2 conferences being a consistent playoff threat due to being harder to retain breakout players for more than a year.

Take ISU for example. They weren't a consistent playoff threat anyway so that has no effect on them at all. Where it might have an effect is it might be harder to keep a Purdy for four years so sustained success might be tougher and it might be harder to retain good coaches but you'll be playing in a league with members facing the same difficulties so getting to the playoff might actually get easier while winning in the playoff got much harder.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have no idea how athletes lean politically. But I am going to go on a hunch that most of these athletes don't feel really passionate about this issue compared to other active non-student athletes when it comes to competing. I could see a couple Olympic athletes standing up for something like this, but that's probably still a small number. But I don't think it will be an issue for Football or Basketball.

Do you not know about athletes? Lol. They care. Not for the right reasons, but they care.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron