Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Does NBC have all of NDs games? Or just the home games? If they have only the home games. Oregon could go to NBC and offer to fill the ND away game slots. I think Oregon will try to stay PAC if they don’t get an P2 invite. They have enough subsidies and by beating up on the other teams left, whoever they invite, they may believe they have a route to the playoffs.

Pretty sure it’s the home games. Games at ACC stadiums would fall under the espn contract.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My guess is that is one of their selling points right now, and is what USC is working on as well.

ND would get all its current and past historical rivalries back in the Big 10, keep USC, Bring in Stanford.

Then be able to schedule the remainder out of conference. Navy, Army, Pitt, BC, Miami. Not sure which you consider the top ones that would be noncon at that point. But could schedule 2 or 3 of those each year on a rotation etc.
ND would definitely keep Navy for OOC. Beyond that, who knows.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think Stanford and Cal are more coveted than Oregon by the B1G and I think would be additions either way Notre Dame goes (I think they'll stay independent) The B1G10 channel is still huge for their bottom line. Households are charged like $0.10 if there aren't any "local" teams. If they add Stanford, suddenly they now get like $1.25 per home in that area, the #6 Media Market (MM). That's big money.

Washington is the anomaly here to me. They have great academics, are like 4th or 5th in grant money out of all institutions and are the #12 MM in the US. Actually now that I'm looking at that, I think they'll be B1G as well.

Oregon is in Eugene, #113 MM. For reference, DSM, Ames is #68. (IF you count Portland, they're #21 MM but these are listed as separate media markets, with Corvalis and Oregon State in the middle of the 110 mile drive. I just don't see it from the B1G's perspective.

Here's the reference for the Media Markets:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market
And Oregon's Academics are not that great, they are well below Iowa State, and way below in research (about 1/5 the research expenditure $115M ranked #154th, vs $560M ranked #71) , and somehow not having either metric (Medical school nor Engineering School for AAU) are able to keep their AAU status.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Does NBC have all of NDs games? Or just the home games? If they have only the home games. Oregon could go to NBC and offer to fill the ND away game slots. I think Oregon will try to stay PAC if they don’t get an P2 invite. They have enough subsidies and by beating up on the other teams left, whoever they invite, they may believe they have a route to the playoffs.
Great question and just gave me the thought that really the B1G just needs to grab all of ND's rivals to get that slice of the pie. They don't need to add ND at all, just the rivals as long as ND stays independent.

B1G - USC, Purdue, Mich State, NW, Mich.,Neb, PSU

B1G Adds? - Stanford, Miami? Boston College? Georgia Tech?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Great question and just gave me the thought that really the B1G just needs to grab all of ND's rivals to get that slice of the pie. They don't need to add ND at all, just the rivals as long as ND stays independent.

B1G - USC, Purdue, Mich State, NW, Mich.,Neb, PSU

B1G Adds? - Stanford, Miami? Boston College? Georgia Tech?

Well, Pitt is at least AAU, I would say they go to the B1G before Miami or BC. Georgia Tech is AAU as well.

edit: not sure either of those move the needle enough for the B1G though. But to entice ND who knows.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
ND would definitely keep Navy for OOC. Beyond that, who knows.
I think USC and Navy are their two sacrosanct games.

I think if push comes to shove and ND has to get into a conference for one reason or another, the Big 10 is going to hold a huge edge by holding most of their historical rivalries. USC, Michigan, Michigan St and Purdue all rank ahead of anyone the SEC's likely to add. Sure, they could pick up Florida St and Miami, but those don't match up to what the Big 10 will have.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I think if push comes to shove and ND has to get into a conference for one reason or another, the Big 10 is going to hold a huge edge by holding most of their historical rivalries. USC, Michigan, Michigan St and Purdue all rank ahead of anyone the SEC's likely to add. Sure, they could pick up Florida St and Miami, but those don't match up to what the Big 10 will have.
ND doesn’t like the big ten. Army and Pitt are two that they have played a decent amount.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Well, Pitt is at least AAU, I would say they go to the B1G before Miami or BC. Georgia Tech is AAU as well.

edit: not sure either of those move the needle enough for the B1G though. But to entice ND who knows.
Kirk would get wood if they added Pitt.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

The admin at ND would never go to the SEC. There is no chance of that.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
And Oregon's Academics are not that great, they are well below Iowa State, and way below in research (about 1/5 the research expenditure $115M ranked #154th, vs $560M ranked #71) , and somehow not having either metric (Medical school nor Engineering School for AAU) are able to keep their AAU status.
US news has Oregon ranked about 20 spots higher then ISU. Ive never seen those rankings for college factual before but wow are they farther off then anything I have seen.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
ND doesn’t like the big ten. Army and Pitt are two that they have played a decent amount.
The admin at ND would never go to the SEC. There is no chance of that.
And here's the dilemma. I think if ND was forced to join one of the P2 conferences for one reason or another, they're going to get over the long-running animosity and pick the Big 10 100% of the time. The two reasons are academic prestige (so long as everyone wants to maintain that charade) and the Big 10 will have far more of their historical rivals than the SEC.

Notre Dame places a huge emphasis on its independent status, its academic reputation and its tradition. They may let one of those go, but joining the SEC would be turning their back on all three.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think Stanford and Cal are more coveted than Oregon by the B1G and I think would be additions either way Notre Dame goes (I think they'll stay independent) The B1G10 channel is still huge for their bottom line. Households are charged like $0.10 if there aren't any "local" teams. If they add Stanford, suddenly they now get like $1.25 per home in that area, the #6 Media Market (MM). That's big money.

Washington is the anomaly here to me. They have great academics, are like 4th or 5th in grant money out of all institutions and are the #12 MM in the US. Actually now that I'm looking at that, I think they'll be B1G as well.

Oregon is in Eugene, #113 MM. For reference, DSM, Ames is #68. (IF you count Portland, they're #21 MM but these are listed as separate media markets, with Corvalis and Oregon State in the middle of the 110 mile drive. I just don't see it from the B1G's perspective.

Here's the reference for the Media Markets:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market
Cal is not coveted by anyone sadly even though they are an amazing academic institution. Also the big ten doesn't own much stake in the BTN anymore so while they still get money for it Fox gets the majority. I could certainly see Stanford at some point especially if ND is involved but what alot of people are forgetting is that USC/UCLA came to the big ten with an ultimatum not the other way around. The big ten isnt just going to add schools like (cal pitt, GT, etc) to add them.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Cal is not coveted by anyone sadly even though they are an amazing academic institution. Also the big ten doesn't own much stake in the BTN anymore so while they still get money for it Fox gets the majority. I could certainly see Stanford at some point especially if ND is involved but what alot of people are forgetting is that USC/UCLA came to the big ten with an ultimatum not the other way around. The big ten isnt just going to add schools like (cal pitt, GT, etc) to add them.
Pitt would be an okay add, but it isn't gonna increase revenue enough and they are stuck in the ACC mess.

Reactions: WhoISthis

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Pitt would be an okay add, but it isn't gonna increase revenue enough and they are stuck in the ACC mess.
Pitt much like ISU would be great adds to the big ten for the sake of great football games/rivalry’s but your point of not moving the needle is accurate.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
US news has Oregon ranked about 20 spots higher then ISU. Ive never seen those rankings for college factual before but wow are they farther off then anything I have seen.
Couple things you might want to look at.
How each determine their rankings and what goes into them. Also US News does not factor/value other colleges like smaller or private colleges and schools that can outperform some major schools in some aspects and majors.

Also of note. US News weighs 20% of their list on "Expert Opinion" , Also on "Alumni Giving" Also US News does NOT factor in Post graduate degrees or curriculum in any way, Nor factors in quality of Major, nor post graduate earnings while the other does.

So any and all Masters, PHDs etc are all not factored in the US News ratings. As well as research.
In research Oregon ranks 154th, Iowa State ranks 71st. Of note since 2020, when this list was last updated, ISU has almost doubled its research to $601M, which would put ISU in 47th if all others stay the same. (Mich St, is in 38th with $713M)

Finally a quick look at the majors available at Oregon, one has to wonder not only How they maintain an AAU status but also how US News ranks them so High. I guess Being great at bad degrees is better than being great at Great Degrees in their world.

AAU weighs heavily on Medical and Engineering Research funding. Oregon has neither. Oregon has Miniscule research funding Compared to the rest of AAU. Yet we were not able to maintain, but somehow they are.

US news is not a great metric to go by. They are a magazine, they sell subscriptions, and advertising, and go by Opinions and biases, who gives money, but also they leave out a large amount of the data when calculating the best schools.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Couple things you might want to look at.
How each determine their rankings and what goes into them. Also US News does not factor/value other colleges like smaller or private colleges and schools that can outperform some major schools in some aspects and majors.

Also of note. US News weighs 20% of their list on "Expert Opinion" , Also on "Alumni Giving" Also US News does NOT factor in Post graduate degrees or curriculum in any way, Nor factors in quality of Major, nor post graduate earnings while the other does.

So any and all Masters, PHDs etc are all not factored in the US News ratings. As well as research.
In research Oregon ranks 154th, Iowa State ranks 71st. Of note since 2020, when this list was last updated, ISU has almost doubled its research to $601M, which would put ISU in 47th if all others stay the same. (Mich St, is in 38th with $713M)

Finally a quick look at the majors available at Oregon, one has to wonder not only How they maintain an AAU status but also how US News ranks them so High. I guess Being great at bad degrees is better than being great at Great Degrees in their world.

AAU weighs heavily on Medical and Engineering Research funding. Oregon has neither. Oregon has Miniscule research funding Compared to the rest of AAU. Yet we were not able to maintain, but somehow they are.

US news is not a great metric to go by. They are a magazine, they sell subscriptions, and advertising, and go by Opinions and biases, who gives money, but also they leave out a large amount of the data when calculating the best schools.
All extremely good points. I know very little about the inner workings of Oregon all I know is that I had never heard of that ranking system before and the fact they had Oregon 300 spots lower was eye opening. They even have schools like Michigan ranked far lower then I have ever seen. I’ll give you that US news has plenty of flaws, almost every ranking system does, but it is considered the leader by most. You gave me some good things to think about though so I appreciate it