Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
They are waiting to give a reduced share of payment. Maybe each get half share In B1G. They can take that offer or make even less in PAC 12 with mostly Streaming.
Why wait? If the B10 offered WA and OR a half share for the rest of their current deal, they’d take it today. It gets them where they want to go and the money will be there eventually.

If you think the B10 gives two ***** about “killing” the PAC, I don’t know what to tell you because they did that when they took USCLA. That whole talking point sounds like delusional thinking by fan bases that want and think they deserve a B10 invite, but don’t have one yet.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They are waiting to give a reduced share of payment. Maybe each get half share In B1G. They can take that offer or make even less in PAC 12 with mostly Streaming.

Decent point. The longer this goes on for the PAC, the more leverage the big 10 has in any discussions with UW/UO

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I could see SDSU being of similar value to either CU or UA, but I don’t see SMU fitting as well along with the others.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Why wait? If the B10 offered WA and OR a half share for the rest of their current deal, they’d take it today. It gets them where they want to go and the money will be there eventually.

If you think the B10 gives two ***** about “killing” the PAC, I don’t know what to tell you because they did that when they took USCLA. That whole talking point sounds like delusional thinking by fan bases that want and think they deserve a B10 invite, but don’t have one yet.

Not only that they formed some kind of alliance before the "et tu Brute" moment

Like Dusty Rhodes said, "No honor. There's no honor among thieves in the first place"

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I’m just not convinced the invite is coming. If the Big 10 really does want WAOU, why wait? They may eventually be fall back options, but I don’t see the purpose of not inviting them now if the really wanted WAOR that bad.

WAOR may think they are content to wait, but another 5 or 10 years and the ACC may then be in play.
Simple, because the b10 is in the drivers seat here, they know that Washington and Oregon will jump if given the opportunity, and are not going to move to the B12 because of the money difference between what B10 schools get and what B12 schools will get.

I think the B10 prefers the ACC schools first and foremost, they know that Wash. and Or. are going nowhere, so they do not have to be in a hurry to offer.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Simple, because the b10 is in the drivers seat here, they know that Washington and Oregon will jump if given the opportunity, and are not going to move to the B12 because of the money difference between what B10 schools get and what B12 schools will get.

I think the B10 prefers the ACC schools first and foremost, they know that Wash. and Or. are going nowhere, so they do not have to be in a hurry to offer.
Word is the B1G preferred Oregon to UCLA. I know they want some of the ACC schools but sounds to me like at least Oregon is a big want.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Word is the B1G preferred Oregon to UCLA. I know they want some of the ACC schools but sounds to me like at least Oregon is a big want.

I’d say Oregon has the right mix of recent success on the field and a high ceiling in brand and marketing that makes them really attractive.

Reactions: agentbear

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

They are to a point. If the PAC cannot survive with the TV contract presented, that might force OU and UW's hand. They have to make a decision of merging with the MWC even for a the length of a contract or join the Big12. Either way will cause them to sign a GOR that would delay their entrance into the Big10. If the Big10 wants more West coast schools, it may need to extend that offer sooner than they wanted.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I can follow the reasoning there. Not unlike I’m not sure the B12 should take both Arizona schools.

UnbiasedHawk

Jul 6, 2013
B10 won’t take Oregon and Washington by themselves because they don’t increase the pie enough to make it worth it. Sure they could come in at a reduced share (like Neb, Rutgers and Maryland did), but the conference ultimately wants everyone to be equals so they wouldn’t have it be a permanent reduced share.

However, I could definitely see them joining with Notre Dame and one other school. ND brings enough that the addition of four would be worthwhile. I could see that 4th school being another P12 school to get one more west coast team. Or I could see it being an ACC school that might even have a couple others come with to make it a six school add instead of four.

Who the hell knows :)

JayhawkScott

Nov 13, 2010
Seattle
I’m just not convinced the invite is coming. If the Big 10 really does want WAOU, why wait? They may eventually be fall back options, but I don’t see the purpose of not inviting them now if the really wanted WAOR that bad.

WAOR may think they are content to wait, but another 5 or 10 years and the ACC may then be in play.
Yeah I have a feeling that the Big Ten is going to add ACC schools instead along with the SEC picking off a couple. After that the ACC merges with the PAC and perhaps a couple Big 12 teams to be a national conference.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Could be, but Oregon's US News ranking is #105 of all universities, while Washington is ranked #55. The B10 talks a lot about academics. Washington state also has 7.7 million people, while Oregon only has 4.2 million. Meaning less people paying into BTN at the full price.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah I have a feeling that the Big Ten is going to add ACC schools instead along with the SEC picking off a couple. After that the ACC merges with the PAC and perhaps a couple Big 12 teams to be a national conference.
Why would any big 12 team join the ACC and PAC after thoughts. If the best teams are gone, it would be smarter for the Big 12 to take the next 4 best teams let the rest collapse.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
BIG won't take Oregon or Washington this cycle. Fox has said they won't pay 1 cent more for them. It's a big hit to divide pie 2 more ways without the pie getting bigger.

It isnt a big concern either. The PAC isnt going to grab Pitt, VT, NC State and louisville when the ACC collapes.

The PAC is geographically limited. even if it stays together, it isnt a threat to the Big 12.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
BIG won't take Oregon or Washington this cycle. Fox has said they won't pay 1 cent more for them. It's a big hit to divide pie 2 more ways without the pie getting bigger.

It isnt a big concern either. The PAC isnt going to grab Pitt, VT, NC State and louisville when the ACC collapes.

The PAC is geographically limited. even if it stays together, it isnt a threat to the Big 12.
CU and Arizona are good adds, and important in the weird Game of Thrones way realignment has played out by weakening the PAC for the future. But any decision comes with an opportunity cost that may hinder future decisions.

I can get behind the Big 12 being a conference of (mainly) the west. But you have to secure that position now that it is potentially there by taking 4 or more. I think there's probably more media money over time in providing a life raft to some ACC teams when the Power 2 come to crack them up, however.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

There’s a reason WA and OR don’t have a B10 invite. One possible explanation could be that the B10 doesn’t want them. The other possibility is Fox doesn’t want to pay up for them for this media deal.

The thing is, it’s one, it’s the other, or it’s both. There’s no 3rd explanation.

JayhawkScott

Nov 13, 2010
Seattle
Why would any big 12 team join the ACC and PAC after thoughts. If the best teams are gone, it would be smarter for the Big 12 to take the next 4 best teams let the rest collapse.
The brands left from the ACC/PAC will still be stronger than what is in the Big 12. They are all and have been power 5 teams for a long time. The Big 12 is a mish mash of mid majors, leftovers, and religious schools moving their way up. Once the ACC loses teams it will backfill. You don't think West Virginia wouldn't jump in a heartbeat to play closer games and rejoin their rivalry with Pitt? What about Cincinnati and UCF? Yep they'd go too. It's going to destabilize the conference again when it happens. Or course that is probably years away but it's going to happen. Just like the Big 12 fought to survive the ACC and PAC will do the same.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
B10 won’t take Oregon and Washington by themselves because they don’t increase the pie enough to make it worth it. Sure they could come in at a reduced share (like Neb, Rutgers and Maryland did), but the conference ultimately wants everyone to be equals so they wouldn’t have it be a permanent reduced share.

However, I could definitely see them joining with Notre Dame and one other school. ND brings enough that the addition of four would be worthwhile. I could see that 4th school being another P12 school to get one more west coast team. Or I could see it being an ACC school that might even have a couple others come with to make it a six school add instead of four.

Who the hell knows :)
You do realize Oregon and Washington have more media rights value that half the current Big10.

Who knows why the Big 10 didn't take OR WA last summer, but there is no way USC & UCLA joined the Big10 to be isolated. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: HouClone and Acylum