Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

May 7, 2020
NIL matters if their NIL money can elevate their football program. They already have things that would make them attractive to the Big10. Kansas City market, elite basketball, and member of AAU. Probably a long shot but if the Big10 needs a fourth school the next time they expand they could do worse.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Kansas may work it's way into the Big10 if NIL continues. I read somewhere that their NIL collective is in the top 20. If they can become average in football their academics are already in line with the Big10. And we all know the Big10 could use their basketball program.

How much of their TV deal is based on basketball rights? Having a big NIL collective only matters if KU starts throwing money around to get their football program winning and more importantly, interest nationally. Problem is, that NIL collective is there to sponsor their basketball program. Self would **** a brick if they took money away from his program to support the football program. Especially with a goal to get invited to the Big10. Why would he want to join that **** basketball league. The Big East would be a better option considering their focus on basketball.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If they had enough value to increase everyone’s share they would already be invited. They don’t.

I agree they are more valuable than several current B10 teams, but that is not the issue here.
They don't have to increase everyone's share, because OR & WA would join the Big10 at a heavy discount. No different than Huskers, Knights or Terrapins.

Plenty of time to build value before 2031 and Big10's next deal.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
NIL matters if their NIL money can elevate their football program. They already have things that would make them attractive to the Big10. Kansas City market, elite basketball, and member of AAU. Probably a long shot but if the Big10 needs a fourth school the next time they expand they could do worse.
Kansas NIL is going to basketball players though, not football.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

May 7, 2020
@Clonehom, Football still matters even at Kansas. And if their collective is top 20 there will be some money for football too. As I stated in my earlier post, they will have to get better in football.

And you are kidding yourself if you don't think that Kansas or any other Big12 school would jump at the chance to join the Big10.

UnbiasedHawk

Jul 6, 2013
They don't have to increase everyone's share, because OR & WA would join the Big10 at a heavy discount. No different than Huskers, Knights or Terrapins.

Plenty of time to build value before 2031 and Big10's next deal.
They would join at a discount but still ultimately need to add enough to make their full share worthwhile. B10 is not going to add anyone if the long term revenue isn’t there.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
@Clonehom, Football still matters even at Kansas. And if their collective is top 20 there will be some money for football too. As I stated in my earlier post, they will have to get better in football.

And you are kidding yourself if you don't think that Kansas or any other Big12 school would jump at the chance to join the Big10.

Football matters at Nebraska too. That doesn't equate to being interesting to anyone outside that state. At least Nebraska has the benefit of being a trainwreck that people tune in to laugh at. Kansas used to have the novelty of seeing a CFB game with a track around the field. But that's gone now too.

Maybe. It'd basically be like Gonzaga in the WCC. It would lead Sportscenter every time they lose a game in that conference. I guess Self could get used to that for the right amount of money.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
KU will need money donors are currently putting toward NIL to fund their new FB stadium.

Also, NIL could look completely different in a couple years. Especially with recent IRS statements about tax deductibility and NCAA focus to regulate/level-set NIL fundraising.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
They would join at a discount but still ultimately need to add enough to make their full share worthwhile. B10 is not going to add anyone if the long term revenue isn’t there.
Agree.

But it's an assumption that because OR WA aren't in Big10 it's because they don't have value.

It could be media partners.

It could be selection criteria for 12 team CFP & how $ are split after 2025.

It could be 2nd tier Big10 teams feel threatened by adding USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington. All 4 of those schools are clicking in football right now. While Wisky/Nebraska/ Iowa/MSU might feel their ability to make playoff gets a lot tougher.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
KU jumping to the B1G would be a big step down in basketball competition. Only the money would be better.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The B10 is reaching the point where outside of ND or FSU, no school will be able to bring in enough money to continue to increase the pie for everyone. The numbers are just getting too large to expect any school to bring in $60 to 70 million into the league.

The payouts will have to level off or schools will have to be kicked out, which will not happen, for it to keep rising.
The question is just how much money is each school going to be bring in, schools like EIU, Purdue and a couple of others are getting far more than what they are bringing into BTN.

UnbiasedHawk

Jul 6, 2013
The B10 is reaching the point where outside of ND or FSU, no school will be able to bring in enough money to continue to increase the pie for everyone. The numbers are just getting too large to expect any school to bring in $60 to 70 million into the league.

The payouts will have to level off or schools will have to be kicked out, which will not happen, for it to keep rising.
The question is just how much money is each school going to be bring in, schools like EIU, Purdue and a couple of others are getting far more than what they are bringing into BTN.
Totally agree. I think it’s pretty much ND and that’s it. But ND is significant enough that you can add them along with several others and still come out ahead. I could see them with some other P12 teams so USCLA aren’t on their own or other solid ACC teams or a combo of both. I think that ND is the only one that lets you truly add others that fit (however they ultimately define what “fit” means).

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I’d love to see this magic “value add” formula everyone is using because I must have missed the memo.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
And we're in the corpse of what used to be the Big 12. I'm going to root for KU regardless of what happens, but to think our league is in a good position to add ACC or PAC schools when our league has been the most poached is a little overly optimistic. Seems more like wishful thinking.
Fact is no school except ND moves the needle for conference adds. All have value below the current "deal"of the BIG10, SEC and even Big 12. So schools are hoping networks will overpay for an addition, or keep the conference whole with schools taking less individually in order to strengthen the conference. Why would either do this, it doesn't make economic sense. The dollars paid to BIG and SEC have eliminated most from the pool of opportunity.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Washington and Oregon are the heavy favorites but wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 10 adding Stanford and Cal instead to help better on travel for all sports and academics. Oregon is barely holding on to AAU and is not super academically. Also, USC wants to shut out Oregon from the Big 10.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Word is the B1G preferred Oregon to UCLA. I know they want some of the ACC schools but sounds to me like at least Oregon is a big want.
For one thing we know Iowa vetoed that possibility.

Secondly, UCLA is a bigger brand in school and competitive success. Adding that a visiting B10 school to LA can do a two game stint with one flight, seems like an easy add. BB, swimming, volleyball, and many more can play Thursday and Saturday once at UCLA and once at USC and then head back. That would be a great trip.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'd be shocked if the media contracts didn't have a clause for offloading content to alternative media companies. Simply put, we're seeing the tightening of belts all across the media industry. It's not a stretch to think some of the 'current' media debt burdens might become too much and that they'd have to offload to Amazon or Apple at a discount to balance their own sheets. When tied into the current alignment, I just don't see the cost effectiveness of B1G or SEC adding any more teams except ND. And even then I think ND's contract is over inflated which, in turn, might become very interesting.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
One thing ignored is that adding Oregon and Washington increases the travel costs for athletic teams. Lower tiered teams in the B1G aren’t necessarily in favor of adding teams that won’t increase their take while increasing their travel costs. And those new teams are likely to keep them from even sniffing at the playoffs.

Reactions: heitclone