Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Out of all those Nebraska is the only one that presidents and fans really would like to see gone. The presidents were sold that they would hold up the west division in football and that would make up for their sub par academics. Rutgers is exactly what Rutgers was so no one is too displeased and it’s nice having easy wins.

They should have consulted with Iowa State fans who at the time were among the world's greatest experts on both Iowa and Nebraska football.

We could have told you Nebraska's new ceiling is like a poor man's Iowa, especially if they don't play games in Texas anymore.

Big 12 could use some easy wins in basketball and I'm praying at least UCF is that with Arizona, Houston, Cincy and BYU coming in. @Colorado was never an easy road basketball game because guys get gassed.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Utah is a fast growing state, perhaps the fastest, but they have major environmental issues threatening that growth beyond just water usage that could slow that growth. It's not really that big of a market, half of Colorado and slightly bigger than Iowa. Same population as Nevada.

Even after Utah's golden era the fans in state are a 50/50 split BYU/Utah and BYU has way more fans out of state. If BYU goes on a tear and Utah struggles I would expect BYU to be the more popular team pretty clearly.

Double up in AZ if you're going to double up somewhere.

Hasn't growth around Salt Lake City just flat out been cancelled because of either water rights or just plain lack of water?

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hasn't growth around Salt Lake City just flat out been cancelled because of either water rights or just plain lack of water?

They have stopped new development in certain areas. Arizona has done the same just out of necessity. It ceases to be political at some point and just what is practical. Utah has other threat that a dried up salt lake could start blowing up toxic metals into the air.

I think both states continue to grow, but I'm guessing the true boom might have peaked.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The other thing is, they have no rush. They are Heff in the Playboy mansion. Whenever B1G says "you, get over here" - you get over there. So they have no need to do anything on any timetable but their own.

I could see B1G waiting a few years to get even better choice ACC teams (and another swing at ND), and Stanford, UW, et al would be part of the calculus then.
This is true but I still see two things that make me wonder if that call ever comes.

1. They could get WAOR at a huge discount right now. They could probably pay them less than their true value just to give them a lifeline.

2. If WAOR decides to stay with the PAC and 1-3 more teams come to the Big 12, what does that do to their over all brand in 5 or 10 years? Sure the booster money might still be there, but exposure is really going to suffer for them.

I do think the Big 10 is interested in them, but more of a back-up option if the ACC doesn't collapse when their GOR gets near the end. I think right now WAOR cost to value ratio is the best it's going to be.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The other thing is, they have no rush. They are Heff in the Playboy mansion. Whenever B1G says "you, get over here" - you get over there. So they have no need to do anything on any timetable but their own.

I could see B1G waiting a few years to get even better choice ACC teams (and another swing at ND), and Stanford, UW, et al would be part of the calculus then.
Or as Chris Berman would say, "You're with me, Leather."

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
if it hasn't yet, I'm sure it will end up that way. St George is one of the fastest growing areas, but the problem is their water source is the Colorado River. They claim rights to it based on a 1927 agreement the states on the basin put in place. But that is obsolete now and if they take the percentage of water from the agreement, those down river won't have any.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Couple random comments here.

-this has been refreshing to sit back and watch, knowing ISU is not going through what Ore state and WSU are going through.

- the luckiest school in America is Rutgers. if realignment would have happened now, they would be right there with UCONN. It was all about getting to charge the new yorkers for the B10 network via their cable bill at the time.

-Wondering if USC and UCLA are either pressuring the BIG or ticked off that Oregon / Wash are not going to the BigTen. (that we know) Who knows, but I would be miffed if I joined a league and was left on an island like they are. But I am sure they were informed of the direction when they signed up.

-The PAC is in a much different boat than we were on realignments. We are in the central of the country and had expansion options. The Pac12's only options are MWC or plucking B12 schools. Thats it. There is hardly any penalty for teams leaving, and they have nothing for a TV deal. I really don't see how they survive this.

BEST Case scenario is a media partner throws the pac a 5 year deal very soon (or something), They get everyone to stay and replace CU with San Diego St. but I don't think this is going to happen or it would have already.

The Pac would have to take 4-6 MWC schools and would most likely lose their P5 status. I can't see ASU, Cal, Stanford, WSU, OSU being the flagships of a P5 league. Just like ISU, KSU, OSU, KU wouldn't be for the B12.

-the last shoe to drop would be what happens to the ACC. Survive or get picked apart?

crazy world we live.....

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Florida State is believed to be exploring deals with B1G and SEC and looking to leave SEC. May be in ACC's best interest to lean into an alliance instead of fall for the same slow fate the PAC did
But it's hard to understand what an Alliance means. One Conference doesn't have a TV deal and the other Conference has a cheap TV deal that lasts another 13 years.

Not sure which one is in a worse predicament. Not only is ACC GOR an issue, but what is ESPN's incentive to invest in a Pac 6 or 8.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
This is true but I still see two things that make me wonder if that call ever comes.

1. They could get WAOR at a huge discount right now. They could probably pay them less than their true value just to give them a lifeline.

2. If WAOR decides to stay with the PAC and 1-3 more teams come to the Big 12, what does that do to their over all brand in 5 or 10 years? Sure the booster money might still be there, but exposure is really going to suffer for them.

I do think the Big 10 is interested in them, but more of a back-up option if the ACC doesn't collapse when their GOR gets near the end. I think right now WAOR cost to value ratio is the best it's going to be.
So I agree you could get them at a bargain price but at some point you have to get them up to a full share.

That’s the only concern I would have about the Big12 adding a bunch of teams. Yea it’s written into the contract that right now they get a full share but elevating 4 G5 teams and adding some other Pac12 teams that couldn’t get their own deal could possibly effect the next negotiation. You still take them and cross that bridge down the line but it’s the only thing I would be wary of.

That being said if you kill the pac you become one of the only other options to spend media dollars on so could be a non issue.

Reactions: Clonefan94

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Why wouldn't Oregon and wash jump for this tv contract. Would be better off than whatever pac will get. Big isn't taking them now may not ever take them.
Because they don’t want to go to the Big12. Oregon thinks it’s better and Washington both thinks they are better and has the massive politics issue to deal with. Also to a lesser extent the academics but don’t think that’s as important in this case as the politics.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They'd have to really win to avoid brand falling off.

Look at the golden era of teams in the mountain region in early 00s. When Boise State, Utah or TCU pre-Big 12 were dominating their brand found its way to being covered by major media. Fall off a bit to just average like BSU has and it goes away quick without a major conference.

The Big East was actually weaker than MWC those years and you could see it hurting teams with recent success like VaTech and WVU back then knowing their conference kind of had an asterisk.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE

qxj1OR.gif

EDIT: This probably applies to the psyche of Willy-Nilly Wilner, Clownzano and Alti-bore as well.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and DFWClone