Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I think there were some posters on here that thought schools wouldn't ask for unequal revenue distribution until a few years down the road. I'm too lazy to find specific posts, though.
If a school is asking for uneven revenue distribution, that would be a non-starter to me. They'll ask to stop equal revenue sharing in a league where they might lose a bit off the top, but are wanting to move to a league where they will likely be a beneficiary of it. If that isn't the definition of hypocrisy, I don't know what is

They are actively sabotaging the brand of the conference they might get stuck with. Nebraska was the same way (complained about revenue sharing until they benefitted from it).

Reactions: WooBadger18

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Anyone have an idea the “loophole” FSU attorneys think they have stumbled onto?

Appreciably different landscape than when the GOR was signed, and the fact that ESPN is the one who changed that landscape.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
bUt tEH gOR.
Notice he didnt say it was happening immediately? Notice he said matter of when. That could be 10 years from now.

Most believe the cost of leaving is just too great. Considering it was 100M for OUT to leave 1 year early, more than 10 years would be insane.

But 300M+ might seem feasible if you can pay it off over time, and get 3x the money in the B1G than the ACC.

I have always said it would be 500M+/- for anyone to leave, and believed that is just too much, at least right now. But planning an exit for a few years down the road and agreeing to take half your media income every year for 10 years to pay off the debt, does make it more feasible.

Again, I still dont see anyone announcing they are leaving, just a lot of posturing, but firmly believe some day they will leave, I have just always believed it would have to be closer to the end of their GOR.

But when the money in the B1G is that much more, and some of these schools are realizing just how far behind they may be, they are getting desperate.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Stanford/Cal is basically dependent on Big Ten charity.

They add almost no viewership and the prestige of the academic brands doesn’t come close to the cut they’ll eventually take.

Seems like mutual complete disinterest between them and Big 12 so it’s big ten charity or bust.
Seems to only further the likelihood that their big brands will eventually ask for unequal sharing of money.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
ACC might not be a conference for much longer
This will be incredible to watch from the outside.
I've posted in other threads, but the way the ACC grant of rights reads, there's no getting out of it.
Maybe if all members vote to dissolve it? What happens with the ESPN contract though?

The lawyers' billable hours have to look like a spinning top right now.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Wash/Oreg could simply tell the B1G to pay them the 32 million that the Big 12 would pay them as a way to get their foot in the door. Get into the conference now, and get a full share 5 years from now.

H
I am not caught up to speed on all of this, but I thought ~31.xM was just the main number for the B12. didn't include other deals which gets us closer to 50. I thought the Apple deal was much lower and put the schools on the hook for a bunch of production costs?
Either way...the PAC has a hard enough time with getting people to games and eyeballs on TVs. I can't imagine what streaming would do over 5 years to their branding.

Reactions: RagingCloner

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Also, it really is a shame what this realignment crap has all become. The ACC banded together and signed a super super long GOR to protect themselves and members against poachers. Now the conference is at risk to go up in smoke because a couple members are pissed at the other conference members for dragging them down......in a deal that these said members signed themselves! If we do go to a Power 3, I foresee things then spiraling backwards where the top dogs will demand an unequal share and will be tired of losing to one another, they split off into their own conferences with schools that they can beat and who will take a lower share, and we are basically back to where we started, but with unequal revenue sharing in each conference.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So was Oppenheimer really working on a conference realignment mega-bomb the whole time and just used the atomic bomb as a smokescreen?

Our next Freemason meeting needs to be moved up now, we're losing control of world order.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I want Pitt! And if the SEC doesn't take them, NC State. If they do, then, VTech.

Screw Louisville imo

If we assume FSU, Clem, MIA go to SEC then I'd like us to get:

VT
UVA

UNC
Duke

I think that's it. Just those. No GT, no Pitt, no Wake, no BC, no Syracuse, no Lousiville, no NCSU.

Milehighcy2

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
All of this expansion stuff is crazy right now but wait until the first contraction. That’s when it will really hit the fan. It’s just a matter of time for when the SEC tells Vandy they no longer have a home. One example of many.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
In fairness, the signed it not with no knowledge of the absolutely stupid deals the SEC and Big Ten were going to sign. More a victim of timing than anything.

The ACC played a part too.

When it was signed it was abnormally long.

Now that it's raining cash and Central Florida (gasp!) has a better TV deal it's time to get desperate

Let ESPN take all of the risk and FSU just skates away with the reward.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I am not caught up to speed on all of this, but I thought ~31.xM was just the main number for the B12. didn't include other deals which gets us closer to 50. I thought the Apple deal was much lower and put the schools on the hook for a bunch of production costs?
Either way...the PAC has a hard enough time with getting people to games and eyeballs on TVs. I can't imagine what streaming would do over 5 years to their branding.

Yes, the ~$32 million is just the main media rights package with ESPN/FOX. There are other sources of revenue (bowl games, CFP, etc). But when trying to compare apples to apples (no pun intended), $32 million for Big 12 to $20 million for PAC is one comparison.

But even if Apple went up to $32 million, it is still 100% streaming which makes it massively inferior!

Reactions: RagingCloner

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Maybe this has been discussed earlier, but why would the Big 10 bring in Oregon and Washington now? They didn't think it was a good idea last year, what changed in the meantime?

If anything with FSU doing all they can to blow up the ACC it would make more sense for the Big 10 to wait to see what happens with the ACC before doing anything with the Pac 12.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
In the coming decades, I see conferences gone and either 2(64)or 4(32) divisions laid out geographically. The first four games of the year each school schedules games themselves, similar to today. Rivalry games are played here.

For the second part of the season (8 games) each week half the teams in a division are scheduled away and half at home. Take this year's schedule for example, simply erase the conference opponents and replace with TBD, but you know home or away.

The conference commissioner schedules all matchups two weeks out taking into consideration most importantly record, but also number of chances teams home/away schedules match in coming weeks, years since they last played, distance they would have to travel, etc. The cream rises to the top and top team/teams move on to the playoffs.

The selling point is each school gets paid for it's play. Teams would agree for GOR to go to division with the top tier games each week getting the largest share of media money and the ones on bottom getting the least.

If you're Boise State and catch lightning in a bottle you could go right to the top. If your Alabama and you slip a bit or have a few devastating injuries look out below. Everyone has a chance.

This could also be how conferences expand beyond 16.

• Optimistic
Reactions: tzjung