Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's easy to underestimate just how far it is between the Seattle and LA, it's basically the same as Dallas to Duluth.

LA to Seattle: 960 miles
LA to Lincoln, NE: 1,269 miles

My summer tradition since I moved to LA is driving all up and down the coast and mountain regions backpacking and camping every summer/fall.

It's really driven home to me how crazy distant the Pac always was compared to every other major conference.

When I was driving around Eugene or Seattle last summer it was still a loooooooong ways back to LA and it did have me thinking I could have driven home to Iowa from LA in about the same time. Driving through rural eastern Washington...WSU is easily the most remote school in any major conference. I drove from LA to SLC/Provo last month...I did it in one day but it killed an ENTIRE summer day mostly eating out of my car. Utah/AZ/ASU were never close to other Pac schools either, they're going to have similar geography in Big 12 and better geography than new Big Ten has.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I suppose I should explain (again) why I'm willing to be more lenient about ASU than I am about UU: It's all about AZ.

Unlike in the past with how OBOR treated OSU, how KBOR was going to treat K-State, and apparently how OBOR and WBOR are going to treat OSU and WSU respectively, ABOR is being an absolute obstacle for AZ leaving for the Big 12.

If AZ can actually convince the ABOR to agree and AZ can get to the Big 12 on its own, then I'm more than fine with the Big 12 staying at 14 and making ASU sweat. The problem is I'm not convinced that's the case, and I don't want AZ punished when the deal is all but done and the only hold up is ABOR approval - especially when everyone at AZ has been waiting for this day for a very long time, apparently even before USCLA jumped to the Big 10. IMO I want AZ in the Big 12 at just about any cost at this point, even if it means turning a blind eye to ASU's snobbery up until the last week.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman and HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Don't forget to include Northwestern in the anemic fan base category. Add in the current coaching BS and woof. NW going the Stanford/Cal route with respect to football.

Exactly...they have these certain cash cows and they added another in USC, but the SEC only has one or maybe two "dead weight" programs like that and I don't see them adding any new ones the way some Big Ten people have eyes for Stanford/Cal.

Who has added more per capita lately?

SEC: Texas/OU/A&M/Missouri
Big Ten: Nebraska/Oregon/Washington/USC/UCLA

Slight edge to SEC, put Stanford/Cal in the Big Ten column and the SEC has really outpaced them per program.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Is it too soon for rumors to start about the B1G showing interest in Stanford so they can tell Notre Dame "All your buddies are here, you're gonna have to join a conference to make the CFP in a couple years, join now for our final, 20th spot."

• Agree
Reactions: exCyDing

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I suppose I should explain (again) why I'm willing to be more lenient about ASU than I am about UU: It's all about AZ.

Unlike in the past with how OBOR treated OSU, how KBOR was going to treat K-State, and apparently how OBOR and WBOR are going to treat OSU and WSU respectively, ABOR is being an absolute obstacle for AZ leaving for the Big 12.

If AZ can actually convince the ABOR to agree and AZ can get to the Big 12 on its own, then I'm more than fine with the Big 12 staying at 14 and making ASU sweat. The problem is I'm not convinced that's the case, and I don't want AZ punished when the deal is all but done and the only hold up is ABOR approval - especially when everyone at AZ has been waiting for this day for a very long time, apparently even before USCLA jumped to the Big 10. IMO I want AZ in the Big 12 at just about any cost at this point, even if it means turning a blind eye to ASU's snobbery up until the last week.

What I heard from AZ source the day CU rumor exploded, before the crap streaming deal even came out:

- AZ is definitely coming to Big 12, every power broker involved with school/AD is demanding it
- They'd wanted better basketball conference going years back, not just when USC/UCLA left
- It won't be as fast as CU, it'll be in august
- They have some red tape

We've seen all that and are in the "red tape" moments.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
This is likely hyperbole on my part, but where does Canzano's career go from here? Who will take him seriously as a journalist after he carried the Pac's water like this?
Big organizations always need hype guys in the media, and he’s one of the best.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
My narrative has changed. **** Arizona State. **** Utah. Let them die. Stick to 14.
let-the-hate-flow-through-you-your-hate-has-made-you-powerful.gif

Reactions: DarkStar

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Yeah, I say I'm good with Arizona because they have expressed interest for a long time and have been in talks awhile. The back and forth was likely to just see what was there and try and work through the hoops (ABOR). It does seem like their majority of their fanbase wants out of the PAC and into the Big 12. I'm good with that.

But, ASU and UU I have mixed feelings on. They have talked down about the big 12 and I wonder if BY will delay the life raft or look at other options. A reduced share would be a better option because they have none now other than MWC. I'm not surprised ASU and UU are acting this way.

I wonder what will transpire in the near future with the ACC versus how long of a timeline that'll take to blow up. As others have said Pitt and NC State make sense there. Even VT or Duke. Basketball would be an even bigger gauntlet.

I was trying so hard to play catchup on this site in this thread lol. I'd be 10-20 pages behind in no time. What a crazy mess. I'm ready for it to be done and I'm good with welcoming Arizona. The only way I'd want Utah in is at a reduced share and for them to be the conference punching bag. After their twitter presence and cocky attitude, I think the rest of the conference would band together in making them the most hated team (from Texas to Utah) in the conference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In a way, Big 12 is most stable conference right now. You have elite teams and the Big 12 is their only option. Can’t say that about the Big 10, ACC or SEC. Money can’t buy you love.

We don't have any Vanderbilts or Rutgers or NWs getting subsidized by a Texas or Ohio State sized program.

After the ACC breaks up that's the next round of conference instability within SEC and Big Ten.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Outside NY6, main bowls did they ever really matter? They have always been just for fun, or a reward for a good year.

The NY6 will all be playoff spots now. So in the end those few bowls that are NY6, or used to be BCS championships, or possible champ games before the BCS, have always been the only ones that mattered.

It will be more of the same really.
Fun matters. It’s the whole point for me.