Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Except ISU was maybe the #2 brand in the market.

SMU is possibly the seventh most popular brand in DFW. They could be behind a couple of high schools in popularity
LOL. SMU and the city of Dallas both agree that SMU is Dallas’ team…at least at the collegiate level. SMU has alternate uniforms with “Dallas” and the Dallas city logo…all in concert with the city. I wonder if you would’ve imagined that TCU would play for a national championship in CFB in only about 10 years after rejoining a major conference? SMU has far more resources than TCU and with NIL now a major factor you underestimate the potential at SMU at your own peril.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
LOL. SMU and the city of Dallas both agree that SMU is Dallas’ team…at least at the collegiate level. SMU has alternate uniforms with “Dallas” and the Dallas city logo…all in concert with the city. I wonder if you would’ve imagined that TCU would play for a national championship in CFB in only about 10 years after rejoining a major conference? SMU has far more resources than TCU and with NIL now a major factor you underestimate the potential at SMU at your own peril.

They aren't a blip on the radar in the Metroplex.

No matter what their marketing department is trying to shovel. Throw in pro sports and they aren't even top 10.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

And the Whorns are going to dominate the SEC.:rolleyes:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is SMU making a dig to their hated rival…TCU. And reiterating that the Metroplex is the Dallas Metroplex not the Fort Worth Metroplex. Dallas >>> FW. SMU is Dallas’ team.

Really not too different from when Georges pronounced that it was a “Cyclone state”.

I’ve never been in a more dead city than Dallas. I was downtown on a business day in the business district for a photo shoot and there was nobody anywhere. Also shot in the Deep Ellum neighborhood that looked cool but equally void of any humans. Could it have been that it was a cold day? Maybe 50?

I mean dead serious that downtown DesMoines is more hopping. It was pretty clean, just empty of cars and empty of foot traffic. Nothing like I expected.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
I live down here in the Metroplex. I can 100% tell you that nobody cares about SMU. Yes they have a few rich donors but they barely get 20k fans a game.

Even TCU in Fort Worth is less of a factor than UT, A&M and OU. Hell it was only a few years ago that Gary Patterson was openly begging fans in the Star Telegram to show up. Texas Tech also has a good following.

SMU, TCU and Baylor are more alike than they are different.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A lot of very rich SMU alumni/donors have been waiting almost 40 years for a seat back at the table…… they are a sleeping giant for NIL.
How much money does SMU get from donors? It’s one thing to throw a bunch of money at NIL when you actually have some media revenue to run an AD. It’s another thing to have donors basically fund all of your AD operations and juice NIL.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I’ve never been in a more dead city than Dallas. I was downtown on a business day in the business district for a photo shoot and there was nobody anywhere. Also shot in the Deep Ellum neighborhood that looked cool but equally void of any humans. Could it have been that it was a cold day? Maybe 50?

I mean dead serious that downtown DesMoines is more hopping. It was pretty clean, just empty of cars and empty of foot traffic. Nothing like I expected.
There are a lot things that I just accept that I will never understand. Types of music people like, hobbies they have, etc. An attraction of so many people to DFW is one of those. I just don’t get it. To each there own.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I live down here in the Metroplex. I can 100% tell you that nobody cares about SMU. Yes they have a few rich donors but they barely get 20k fans a game.

Even TCU in Fort Worth is less of a factor than UT, A&M and OU. Hell it was only a few years ago that Gary Patterson was openly begging fans in the Star Telegram to show up. Texas Tech also has a good following.

SMU, TCU and Baylor are more alike than they are different.

What kind of an ahole down there is an OU fan when TCU has had so much success. Are there tons of Oklahomans moving in?

I do see how SMU has been a victim of circumstance in realignment, but not at the level of say byu that has consistently put 60k in a stadium on Saturdays.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
What kind of an ahole down there is an OU fan when TCU has had so much success. Are there tons of Oklahomans moving in?

I do see how SMU has been a victim of circumstance in realignment, but not at the level of say byu that has consistently put 60k in a stadium on Saturdays.
Oklahoma is only 3 hours up the road. Very strong following here. OU recruits DFW and the Cotton Bowl for OU,UT is the game by far.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
TCU had three straight seasons at 7, 6, and 2 in the final AP poll in the MWC. Anybody paying attention at all figured TCU was going to leverage being in a premier conference into something big. Especially when in the Texas conference that dominates the region.

Not saying SMU can’t become a power. I’m sure they can if their donors are huge. But going from a middling American team to national power is a longer road than TCU had.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Oklahoma is only 3 hours up the road. Very strong following here. OU recruits DFW and the Cotton Bowl for OU,UT is the game by far.

Never heard more random yells BOOMER SOONER than in DFW during Red River week.

The area is football crazy for sure, but not SMU crazy.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston

CBS should have listed San Diego State as one of the Losers, right up there for top Loser with Kliavkoff. They had a chance for the Big 12 with ASU and Utah not interested in moving. But SDSU went all in with the Pac, bashing the Big 12 along the process and alienating the Big 12 leadership and fans. Their recent football game pathetic attendance helps validate why they were excluded.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Never heard more random yells BOOMER SOONER than in DFW during Red River week.

The area is football crazy for sure, but not SMU crazy.

Reminds me of my 14 years in the center of Chicago encountering a total of one Illinois fan and two NW fans. One of the NW fans actually an ISU grad who lives across street from NW stadium.

Reactions: MugNight

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
TCU had three straight seasons at 7, 6, and 2 in the final AP poll in the MWC. Anybody paying attention at all figured TCU was going to leverage being in a premier conference into something big. Especially when in the Texas conference that dominates the region.

Not saying SMU can’t become a power. I’m sure they can if their donors are huge. But going from a middling American team to national power is a longer road than TCU had.
Good points. They were ‘top of the world’ “NIL” in the 80s. Lol. That and they are playing in the ACC, their runway can be a longer than what TCU had.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

CBS should have listed San Diego State as one of the Losers, right up there for top Loser with Kliavkoff. They had a chance for the Big 12 with ASU and Utah not interested in moving. But SDSU went all in with the Pac, bashing the Big 12 along the process and alienating the Big 12 leadership and fans. Their recent football game pathetic attendance helps validate why they were excluded.

Yeah that’s worst move of all time if it’s even half true.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

The B12 was never going to take SDSU. The B12 didn’t have to add any teams to maintain their status this round, and there was no reason at all to reach. There’s a reason the B12 didn’t add SDSU a couple of years ago in place of one of UCF, Cinci, Houston or BYU. There’s a reason the PAC didn’t add SDSU when USC and UCLA left. There’s a reason there’s no talk of SDSU going to the ACC to provide additional west coast teams for Cal and Stanford.

I’ll give you a hint at what that reason is: they simply do not bring enough value for a power conference.

I’d argue the B12 bashing was pretty clear evidence they knew they had no shot of getting a B12 invite. It was attempt to ingratiate themselves the PAC/PAC fanbases.

SDSU was a loser in this round, sure, but it’s because there was some chance of the PAC sticking together and likely needing to add 2+ schools. SDSU lost when the PAC shot down ESPN’s offer last fall and the B12 jumped the line.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Reminds me of my 14 years in the center of Chicago encountering a total of one Illinois fan and two NW fans. One of the NW fans actually an ISU grad who lives across street from NW stadium.

I run into more than a few Cyclone fans out on the edge of town. The good guys seem to be everywhere.

I got hit with a "Roll Clones" last week

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
A few musings…

+ If attendance at home game was a primary factor in team success…schools like TCU would never ever get to a championship game.

+ Yeah, I guess Dallas and the surrounding area sucks…probably why Dallas has a population of almost 1.5 million and the metro area has a population of about 7.5 million…and both are growing. I‘ve been to Dallas many times and there is plenty going on…if you visited and didn’t find that maybe you didn’t know where to go (”downtown” is not always the happening area in every city). Uptown, Knox Henderson, Bishop Arts are always fun IMO…FYI.

+ Dallas is a front-runner city for sure. When/if SMU gets it rolling with the help of a major conference and NIL, the bandwagon will get crowded fast. All you need to look at is what happened when their MBB team was rocking a few years ago under Larry Brown…Cowboy players and George W Bush were regularly in attendance at a sold out Moody Coliseum…it was the place to be seen.

+ SMU 17 - La Tech 0…start Q2

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Had a thought this morning regarding the idea of Relegation & Promotion. Effectively we already have it, but play on the field isn’t the deciding factor. It’s $.

Who got promoted to the “top leagues”? Texas, OU, Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA.

Who got promoted to the 2nd tier? Cincy, Houston, BYU, UCF. Arguably the 4 Corners and the recent ACC adds too.

Who got relegated? Washington State & Oregon State.

So we do have this system in place. But it’s not equitable or propped up with fair guardrails. Some teams could go 12-0 each year and never crack that top 2. Others will flounder at 3-5 wins a year and keep cashing the big checks.