Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I think the point is…yeah it’s not hard to get to the game when you are actively seeking it. You aren’t getting the casuals who are just looking for a game to watch.

I don’t use ESPN+ unless Iowa state is playing on it or its Big 12 game that is close and is going down to the wire. I don’t think I’ve ever watched another league using the app.
ESPN+ Shows right up on whats on now on Hulu. I rarely if ever need to go to the ESPN app. Because its right on my home screen. Even more so when I click on the sports home, and all ESPN+ content is right there with all other networks.

The only thing lacking is guide for all ESPN+ channels, but they will show up on the live guide if you have watched them.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You still have to go there to stream ESPN+, and while you’re there you can’t just switch to a different network game without changing which app you’re on. While it only takes a few clicks on my remote, too, then the app has to load, and then I navigate to the game I want … and if I want to go back to ABC/Fox/etc I have to wait for YouTube TV or whatever app to load again. It‘s not a smooth, instant switch back-and-forth like it is with “normal” channels.

A typical TV viewer might just click his remote to check on an ABC game while the Fox game he’s watching is in commercial, or switch to an ESPN game if the ticker shows that game is close … or, if you’re using YouTube TV, you have four games on at once.

His point is valid, even if ESPN+ isn’t that hard to get to, you have to specifically choose it instead of coming across the game that’s on there while you’re browsing channels or scoping out games to watch.
Unless you have Hulu. Everything is right there.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I don't with hulu. I just go to the sports app click on the game and then can go back t regular tv. It stays in recents for me so their is no going back and forth.

ESPN+ Shows right up on whats on now on Hulu. I rarely if ever need to go to the ESPN app. Because its right on my home screen. Even more so when I click on the sports home, and all ESPN+ content is right there with all other networks.

The only thing lacking is guide for all ESPN+ channels, but they will show up on the live guide if you have watched them.

That’s actually pretty great that it’s integrated better than YTTV (I use it and it’s terrible going back and forth) but that still isn’t going to bring casuals in like an ESPN, FOX, and ABC would. That’s the difference in 750k watching a game vs 1m+ imo.

Side note: I need to look into Hulu for next season.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We can stand around and trumpet the virtues of ESPN+ over ESPNU all we want, but since one is streamed, you have to be actively looking for the game, while the other you do not. The broadcasts on ABC, Fox and ESPN can be watched by the average person scanning around to see what is out there, the same cannot be said about ESPN+.

As great as streaming is, it does require a lot more looking than just switching on the cable or sat. TV and finding the game.

Id still rather have games on ESPN+ than ESPNU.

Reactions: 2speedy1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is what my Hulu home screen opens right up to.
View attachment 125630

Here is the sports homepage

View attachment 125631

I constantly subscribe and unsubscribe to these services but I have both Max and Paramount+ now and they've both been advertising the crap out of the NCAA tournament so if I can't catch all the games between the two with two subscriptions I'm going to be pissed.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
That’s actually pretty great that it’s integrated better than YTTV (I use it and it’s terrible going back and forth) but that still isn’t going to bring casuals in like an ESPN, FOX, and ABC would. That’s the difference in 750k watching a game vs 1m+ imo.

Just asking: so you think ~33% channel hop? That's a significant number. And, I'm sure if true, imo the networks are grappling at how to simplify that.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Oh it wont against ABC etc for a while, but the new sports app or whatever that all the sports streamers are discussing will help.

As more and more go to streaming it will continue to gain. ABC, Fox being on antenna will always make them better than even ESPN.

But against things like the conference channels and especially against BTN+, it will far surpass them, and soon surpass secondary sports networks like ESPNU.

Considering SEC, ACC and the B12 as well as several other smaller conferences and many other pro sports have now signed with ESPN, more and more of the fans from those conferences and sports will add it. Sports on ESPN+ will be much more viewable than sports on BTN+ and Peacock etc. So the casual fan outside the B1G will see the content, and even those B1G fans that have interest in other sports on ESPN+.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ClubCy and 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I constantly subscribe and unsubscribe to these services but I have both Max and Paramount+ now and they've both been advertising the crap out of the NCAA tournament so if I can't catch all the games between the two with two subscriptions I'm going to be pissed.
You're good. Turner games on MAX, CBS games on Paramount+

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Just asking: so you think ~33% channel hop? That's a significant number. And, I'm sure if true, imo the networks are grappling at how to simplify that.
I just picked hypothetical numbers and i wasn’t talking about channel hopping specifically just that those networks will always get more viewers than a streaming service or even an ESPNU based on ease of access and familiarity with casual viewers. By casual viewers I mean football fans that are tuning in with no rooting interest to the two teams playing.

Reactions: Cloneon

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Oh it wont against ABC etc for a while, but the new sports app or whatever that all the sports streamers are discussing will help.

As more and more go to streaming it will continue to gain. ABC, Fox being on antenna will always make them better than even ESPN.

But against things like the conference channels and especially against BTN+, it will far surpass them, and soon surpass secondary sports networks like ESPNU.

Considering SEC, ACC and the B12 as well as several other smaller conferences and many other pro sports have now signed with ESPN, more and more of the fans from those conferences and sports will add it. Sports on ESPN+ will be much more viewable than sports on BTN+ and Peacock etc. So the casual fan outside the B1G will see the content, and even those B1G fans that have interest in other sports on ESPN+.
I think I can speak for most that we all just want it all back together that easy to use and has a decent price so I am hoping you are correct.

The Big 12 isn’t going to sign a massively larger deal come the next negotiations. The hierarchy has been set. As long as the production value is good, the announcers are decent, and the games/league gets some national coverage (all of these things is what I’m worried about) then I will be ok with whatever network or service we play on.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

You guys need to understand that Hulu Live is the outlier in regards to ESPN+. A quick Google search tells me Hulu Live has just under 5 million subs nationally. YTTV has 8M. Cable has 82M, and satellite 15M, Sling has 2M. For all of these subs on the other services ESPNU is a more visible option than ESPN+. And this group is more than 20x the size of Hulu Live users.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
You guys need to understand that Hulu Live is the outlier in regards to ESPN+. A quick Google search tells me Hulu Live has just under 5 million subs nationally. YTTV has 8M. Cable has 82M, and satellite 15M, Sling has 2M. For all of these subs on the other services ESPNU is a more visible option than ESPN+. And this group is more than 20x the size of Hulu Live users.
You can watch ESPN+ on Hulu, not just Hulu live. Not everyone with cable/dish/and so on have ESPNU, actually most probably don’t.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The news that major TV players are developing a common platform sounds great at first blush. But I'll be a skeptic until they announce what the price will be. The speculation going back a few years was that a Disney content platform would need to be in excess of $40/month alone.

I feel like Yormark and Big12 have to be prepared to launch their own sports network when 2031comes along. That doesn't preclude the Big12 from selling some inventory to an NBC, CBS, Netflix, etc. But if Yormark, I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of FOX and Disney.

The streaming technology is such that access will only get more broad based. And broadcasting content don't seem like a quality hurdle. I don't need Fowler and Herbstreit type production. Heck, I am just as happy with IGHSAU production as ESPN+.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
This is why the new Big12 is going to get killed in the TV ratings, while the B10 and SEC are going to shine. Put Big 12 games on ABC, Fox or ESPN in prime time they are going to draw a decent rating, but that same game on ESPNU or worse yet ESPN+ and ratings drop into the crapper.

For all except a handful of teams, the network the game is shown on, is the most important component in determining the ratings.
Agreed. Look at how we’ve done on Big Monday for MBB this year, it’s matters.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

What's hilarious is, this was the only reason the PAC 12 ever had decent ratings. BC of no competition, they got the big network spots. All the chest puffing these PAC dbags did last year was based on this same idea.

It's also why the Big 12 survived and the ACC will eventually go the way of the PAC. ACC can't avoid the B1G and SEC as easy as the Big 12 can, leaves better spots. Big 12 will have more games in the late windows than any of the other power conferences.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch and Cloneon

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I dont care how many subs Hulu has, its perfect for me.