Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Most of the schools in the conference was clearing very little money, TT made the most after expensive, but 4 or 5 schools were spending more than what they are bringing in. ISU cleared about 50K over expenses, if this would pass, every school in the conference would be in the same boat, needed more money that what we are already bringing in.
Exactly. Which is why I said I am not sure where the money will come from.

I agree though that, outside a very select few, most would be in the same boat. Because for most you spend what you make, meaning regardless of revenue, most would have to significantly cut spending to afford it. Now cutting $20M+ in spending is a little easier for someone, making $250M than someone making $100M.

I dont know all the details of the proposal. Is the $22M number a constant regardless of the number of sports/athletes you have? If you cut sports does that decrease the amount as well as expenses? Is that a number for certain sports? ie Football and or Basketball? And so on. There are a lot of questions that I have about the proposal. But regardless, it will be hard on a lot of schools and a lot of non revenue sports.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
SEC looking at Kansas? According to Flugar they’re getting another look………
Nothing would shock me. Regional appeal for Mizzou, Arkansas, and OU. Plus it elevates the conference basketball profile.

ESPN already showed us this season that they will push the SEC basketball elitism angle.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and Jer

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Rev is one thing, but how much of that is left over after all expenses? Last I checked we are using pretty much every dime right now. So it will have to come from somewhere.
Isn't spending every dime kind of expected. You can't expect a school to be financially responsible. It's not in their nature.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
SEC looking at Kansas? According to Flugar they’re getting another look………
The SEC is making a strong push towards being the premier basketball conference and securing a Blue Blood would go a long way towards helping that narrative while weakening their primary competition.

With a new football stadium on the way and their program being regarded as up-and-coming it wouldn't surprise me if they get in on a partial payment deal.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Man, that would suck. I'm not sure what would make the SEC want them now though that they didn't want in the past. Kansas football will get buried there.

I realize Kansas has to take the payday, but they'll have 2 basketball opponents a year that mean a thing and their football goes back to the end of the line.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Man, that would suck. I'm not sure what would make the SEC want them now though that they didn't want in the past. Kansas football will get buried there.

I realize Kansas has to take the payday, but they'll have 2 basketball opponents a year that mean a thing and their football goes back to the end of the line.
Their football would likely be ahead of Vandy, and probably on par with Mississippi State. Plus, the SEC can probably offer them something comparable to their Big XII contract and Kansas would have to jump over.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Exactly. Which is why I said I am not sure where the money will come from.

I agree though that, outside a very select few, most would be in the same boat. Because for most you spend what you make, meaning regardless of revenue, most would have to significantly cut spending to afford it. Now cutting $20M+ in spending is a little easier for someone, making $250M than someone making $100M.

I dont know all the details of the proposal. Is the $22M number a constant regardless of the number of sports/athletes you have? If you cut sports does that decrease the amount as well as expenses? Is that a number for certain sports? ie Football and or Basketball? And so on. There are a lot of questions that I have about the proposal. But regardless, it will be hard on a lot of schools and a lot of non revenue sports.
Looking at the link I provided, it looks like basically every school, no matter the conference is spending money as fast as it comes in. The B10 is not any different spending wise as the B12, except most of them started with more money but they are still spending most if not all of it.

No one knows if this is going to pass, the 17 to 22 million mentioned right now is just a number, until it goes into effect why worry about it. Schools will be given a date down the road to make it happen and it will up to them to figure it out. Maybe less stadiums being rebuilt and coaches making less money, so the football coach now makes $5 million instead of $8 million. Hell I am sure there will be schools that will not want to go down this path, and the top 30-40 schools that do will break away and the rest will keep the current system.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Their football would likely be ahead of Vandy, and probably on par with Mississippi State. Plus, the SEC can probably offer them something comparable to their Big XII contract and Kansas would have to jump over.
The only way that KU wouldn't join is if the pay wasn't as good.

But again, for 15 years now the SEC has had the opportunity to add KU and passed. There's a reason and I'm hoping that a little football uptick isn't enough to change their mind.

It's imperative that we keep their football program from gaining too much ground. I still think the Big 10 and SEC only want programs in the ACC at this point. If they thought they might want someone in the Big 12, why wouldn't they have already grabbed them? They've had every opportunity.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Surprised if Colorado didn’t ask for some assurances from membership in exchange for coming to the Big 12. Hope it costs KU too much to leave.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
IF the SEC wanted ISU, would you want to go?

I would hate everything about it - except for the money and guarantee of survival.

Reactions: MugNight

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Because basketball tournament revenue is next to change. The P2 is going to take most of that revenue too, when the deal is up in 2032

UNC, UK, KU gives the SEC a lot of basketball clout. Expect the

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I would hate everything about it - except for the money and guarantee of survival.
It would suck, and it will suck for KU. Outside of Mizzou and Kentucky, their hoops schedule will be a downgrade, and they will go back to being a complete afterthought in football. Their fans would tow the company line like all fanbases do, but deep down they'd be miserable.

But the admins will feel they HAVE to do it, and I guess they probably do.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

Unless those in the know suspect the top brands from the SEC and B1G are close to leaving to form their own elite conference, 100% absolutely without even thinking about it.

I'm very very concerned that ISU (and most of the Big XII) is staring down the wrong end of the proverbial gun. Survive and advance is the name of college athletics now. Plus, it's fun playing games against big brands. Getting a yearly crack at Texas and Oklahoma was a ton of fun even when we knew there was no shot we'd win the conference.

I also live in Georgia, so selfishly I'd love more drivable games.

Reactions: MugNight

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Because basketball tournament revenue is next to change. The P2 is going to take most of that revenue too, when the deal is up in 2032

UNC, UK, KU gives the SEC a lot of basketball clout. Expect the
At that point you'd probably have Duke, Arizona, Louisville, Houston, ISU in the Big 12 so you still can't shut the Big 12 out of it.

Increased basketball revenue (if it really actually happens) could be a motivator to keep KU in the Big 12 too.

I'm kind of hoping this all blows up by then anyways.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Unless those in the know suspect the top brands from the SEC and B1G are close to leaving to form their own elite conference, 100% absolutely without even thinking about it.

I'm very very concerned that ISU (and most of the Big XII) is staring down the wrong end of the proverbial gun. Survive and advance is the name of college athletics now. Plus, it's fun playing games against big brands. Getting a yearly crack at Texas and Oklahoma was a ton of fun even when we knew there was no shot we'd win the conference.

I also live in Georgia, so selfishly I'd love more drivable games.
See, I couldn't give a rat's ass about playing blue bloods for the sake of playing blue bloods.

I would rather our football schedule be all teams within an 8 hour radius than play blue bloods. Some geographically based schedule that had Iowa, Mizzou, Nebraska, KU, KSU, Minnesota, OK State, etc would appeal to me far more than getting a crack at Texas ever did.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
See, I couldn't give a rat's ass about playing blue bloods for the sake of playing blue bloods.

I would rather our football schedule be all teams within an 8 hour radius than play blue bloods. Some geographically based schedule that had Iowa, Mizzou, Nebraska, KU, KSU, Minnesota, OK State, etc would appeal to me far more than getting a crack at Texas ever did.
But even right now we're only conference-mates with 3 of those teams. In the event that we somehow get an SEC invite, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that KU (and maybe OSU) get an invite. With adding Mizzou back, it's an even swap.

Not that this conversation matters at all, we're never getting that call.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If any school in the conference gets an offer from the SEC or B10 they are going to jump and would be crazy not to. Just too much money for any school to turn down not named ND. I think the SEC and B10 want the ACC schools, that is where they are setting their sights on now, and then after picking them over, if they have a spot or two left, they will fill in with B12 schools.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If any school in the conference gets an offer from the SEC or B10 they are going to jump and would be crazy not to. Just too much money for any school to turn down not named ND. I think the SEC and B10 want the ACC schools, that is where they are setting their sights on now, and then after picking them over, if they have a spot or two left, they will fill in with B12 schools.
See, I don't think that's a thing.

There isn't a magic number. This is about whether or not adding a school makes money for them. They aren't going to add a dilutive school to say they have 20 teams. They've been evaluating KU for 15 years and have always found them to be dilutive.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
But even right now we're only conference-mates with 3 of those teams. In the event that we somehow get an SEC invite, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that KU (and maybe OSU) get an invite. With adding Mizzou back, it's an even swap.

Not that this conversation matters at all, we're never getting that call.
And I really don't think KU or (especially) OSU are getting an SEC invite unless something else changes considerably.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone