Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
But you just named exactly what I don't like that's changed (and I admit I'm in the minority here). Obviously, we'd love and be thrilled with a 12-1 season where we won the conference, but I would have preferred seeing that team play in a NY6 game they had a shot at winning than in a playoff they can't. That's the main thing that's changing for us and that's what I don't like.
But why play in a bowl game that means nothing when you had a chance to play for something that matters? Could just be a difference of opinion but I was way more excited for spartys playoff appearance then for the rose, cotton, or peach bowl wins. Yeah one ended in a slaughter but I’d take that opportunity over a meaningless bowl any day.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The last report I saw was the B1G paid out an average of 58.8M or "around 60M", not the "More than 60M" the Athletic rag said.

The big 12 is currently getting mid 40s, including reductions for adding the first 4 teams, prior to new contract. Prior to any increases in the new contract and playoff. We will not be getting 40-50M in 2030, ours will significantly increase too. So I mean if you want to use todays payouts for us and theirs in 7 years, I guess you can say they "may" get double, not more than double. But for me I would rather compare what we may be getting at that time too. But as I said, things change constantly so thinking we have any idea what things will be in 2030 is crazy.

Personally I believe the Big 12 payouts will be in the neighborhood of 70M by that time, but that is just a guess looking at all things. If you look at all things you can see the possibility of that number being even higher than that, especially when you include all the things that are included in that B1G number people speculate.
Here is the Athletic article.
  • Of its $879.8 million in revenue, the Big Ten dispersed $843.96 million to its 14 members. The league’s 12 fully vested members received between $60.48 million and $60.55 million, while Maryland and Rutgers — which borrowed money from the Big Ten while non-vested members from 2014-2020 — picked up $58.8 million and $58.7 million, respectively. The 14 members saw bumps between $1.6 million and $4 million. Those numbers should jump significantly next year.
In year three of the contract they are expected to get another large bump up to $80 million a year.
The deal will begin July 1, 2023, and run through the end of the 2029-30 athletic year. Specific terms were not disclosed, but a financial windfall won't come immediately, according to media sources. The CBS payout in Year 1 of the agreement is lower since it still will be carrying SEC games during the 2023 season and will air only seven Big Ten contests that fall. But the Big Ten's per-school distribution will turn upward in Year 2 of the deal, when new members USC and UCLA enter the conference. Revenue will rise substantially beginning in Year 3.

The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
But why play in a bowl game that means nothing when you had a chance to play for something that matters? Could just be a difference of opinion but I was way more excited for spartys playoff appearance then for the rose, cotton, or peach bowl wins. Yeah one ended in a slaughter but I’d take that opportunity over a meaningless bowl any day.
Because they weren't meaningless to me. Still aren't to this day, but their value is undeniably decreasing and will likely plummet this year. Keep in mind that when y'all made the playoff (didn't even remember you had, tbh. No disrespect, it just goes to show that I usually don't pay attention to the playoff) you were only one win away from playing in the natty. That's no longer the case.

Being able to rattle off 3 NY6 Bowl wins alongside a playoff appearance for your program is probably at the heart of the disconnect we have. We have a Fiesta Bowl (that nobody could attend in a year where our team's best skillset was testing negatively). Michigan State's history is a pretty obvious step up from where ISU's and my expectations are likely different from yours because of that.

Again, not saying I wouldn't be thrilled about making the playoffs. I obviously would. But it'd be a near certainty that winning the CCG (assuming we do in this miracle season) would be the highlight of the season to me. After all, we've never done that.

• Friendly
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Because they weren't meaningless to me. Still aren't to this day, but their value is undeniably decreasing and will likely plummet this year. Keep in mind that when y'all made the playoff (didn't even remember you had, tbh. No disrespect, it just goes to show that I usually don't pay attention to the playoff) you were only one win away from playing in the natty. That's no longer the case.

Being able to rattle off 3 NY6 Bowl wins alongside a playoff appearance for your program is probably at the heart of the disconnect we have. We have a Fiesta Bowl (that nobody could attend in a year where our team's best skillset was testing negatively). Michigan State's history is a pretty obvious step up from where ISU's and my expectations are likely different from yours because of that.

Again, not saying I wouldn't be thrilled about making the playoffs. I obviously would. But it'd be a near certainty that winning the CCG (assuming we do in this miracle season) would be the highlight of the season to me. After all, we've never done that.
Fair points, winning the CCG would by a bigger highlight for me as well.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They're going to figure out a way to pay players to play in bowl games and that's how they're going to survive even though it's going to mean fewer old guys in ridiculous jackets getting to travel to watch college football every Saturday for free.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Btw after talking with some people at an alumni event for Michigan on Saturday, I think this expanded playoff is going to really murder the regular season’s importance for a lot of the blue bloods even with the “bye” option and soon it’s going to hurt ratings.

Simply put going into next year a team like Michigan or OSU is likely to make the playoff even with 3 or 4 losses. Michigan could drop games to Texas, OSU, and Oregon and still pretty easily make the playoff just based on blue blood bias and pre season ranking. That makes those games start to matter a whole lot less when before if you dropped 1 you were potentially at risk of being left out. NFL gets away with it so there is clearly a path but I think game to game enthusiasm could take a hit once people realize that.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Btw after talking with some people at an alumni event for Michigan on Saturday, I think this expanded playoff is going to really murder the regular season’s importance for a lot of the blue bloods even with the “bye” option and soon it’s going to hurt ratings.

Simply put going into next year a team like Michigan or OSU is likely to make the playoff even with 3 or 4 losses. Michigan could drop games to Texas, OSU, and Oregon and still pretty easily make the playoff just based on blue blood bias and pre season ranking. That makes those games start to matter a whole lot less when before if you dropped 1 you were potentially at risk of being left out. NFL gets away with it so there is clearly a path but I think game to game enthusiasm could take a hit once people realize that.
Not only that, the rematch factor is also going to depress ratings to some extent, especially as it relates to Michigan and Ohio St potentially playing back to back weekends.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

From a non-ISU perspective this is my biggest issue with the playoff. Gone are the days when you frantically flip the channel to Bama-Auburn because the Tigers are up with a few minutes to play. It will be difficult for schools like UGA, Bama, tOSU, & Michigan to miss the playoff and those high pressure must-win games I loved to tune into will become few and far between.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
With a revenue sharing settlement looming this week, now is the perfect time to create parity (not parody). Cut the FB schollie limit from 85 to 70. Would be the best thing ever to create more CFB parity along with tightening up transfer/NIL rules.
I am not sure cutting the scholarship limit would change anything. You could easily get around that by paying a player enough NIL to be a walk on. I think it would only hurt teams with smaller NIL budgets. If you really want to rock the boat do away with scholarships for revenue producing sports and let them use their NIL to pay for college. The argument has always been that other students can get paid, but people always forgot that the other students are paying for their school, room/board, etc as well (those on academic scholarships not withstanding). This also free's up dollars to keep non revenue sports around, and can give them scholarships. Then the juggernaut for Title 9, football, becomes less of an issue and more student athletes that can't get large NIL because they play golf or tennis can get full scholarships instead of partial.

I also think this would force some of the good players to evaluate where they are going because if they can't get big NIL because they aren't starting they may end up going elsewhere to start so they could afford school.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Here is the Athletic article.
  • Of its $879.8 million in revenue, the Big Ten dispersed $843.96 million to its 14 members. The league’s 12 fully vested members received between $60.48 million and $60.55 million, while Maryland and Rutgers — which borrowed money from the Big Ten while non-vested members from 2014-2020 — picked up $58.8 million and $58.7 million, respectively. The 14 members saw bumps between $1.6 million and $4 million. Those numbers should jump significantly next year.
In year three of the contract they are expected to get another large bump up to $80 million a year.
The deal will begin July 1, 2023, and run through the end of the 2029-30 athletic year. Specific terms were not disclosed, but a financial windfall won't come immediately, according to media sources. The CBS payout in Year 1 of the agreement is lower since it still will be carrying SEC games during the 2023 season and will air only seven Big Ten contests that fall. But the Big Ten's per-school distribution will turn upward in Year 2 of the deal, when new members USC and UCLA enter the conference. Revenue will rise substantially beginning in Year 3.

The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Ok and where do you see that the big 12 will make less than what we do now.. for them to make "more than double"

edit: Also the NYTimes is just a regurgitated Athletic article.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
They're going to figure out a way to pay players to play in bowl games and that's how they're going to survive even though it's going to mean fewer old guys in ridiculous jackets getting to travel to watch college football every Saturday for free.

NIL deals for everyone from the sponsor. No brainer.

Here's $1M to be in a Tostito's commercial and also play in the game.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

Not to be a **** but “no ****”. That has been the biggest point trying to be made by anyone that has been against the expanded playoff.

Gone are the days where I would feel the need to watch Bama trailing in the 2nd half at Tennessee or Clemson losing late against FSU. Won’t matter both teams would still make the playoffs despite the outcome as long as they go better than 8-4/9-3.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Not to be a **** but “no ****”. That has been the biggest point trying to be made by anyone that has been against the expanded playoff.

Gone are the days where I would feel the need to watch Bama trailing in the 2nd half at Tennessee or Clemson losing late against FSU. Won’t matter both teams would still make the playoffs despite the outcome as long as they go better than 8-4/9-3.
The additional playoff games just shift the importance from de-facto playoff games (i.e. Bama-Georgia SEC championship) to actual playoff games. There won't be less significant games, just more non-significant games.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Hahaha no worries I’ve been against the expanded playoff the whole time for this reason I just thought it would have taken more years to play out. I always wanted 8 (now 7) give the P4 autos for the champions, add the top G5 sacrifice and then 2 at large bids. Even distribution.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
The additional playoff games just shift the importance from de-facto playoff games (i.e. Bama-Georgia SEC championship) to actual playoff games. There won't be less significant games, just more non-significant games.
Agree. Although that’s what set college football apart from every other league. A loss in September or October meant something and sometimes everything. I get why it’s changing and Oregon vs Ohio state/Texas vs Bama is sexy and different now but what happens 10 years from now when those matchups are possibly happening 2-3x a year?

Will people care? I find myself caring less and less each day and CFB is by far my favorite sport.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Hahaha no worries I’ve been against the expanded playoff the whole time for this reason I just thought it would have taken more years to play out. I always wanted 8 (now 7) give the P4 autos for the champions, add the top G5 sacrifice and then 2 at large bids. Even distribution.
Spot on. 8 (7) was always the best number.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Ok and where do you see that the big 12 will make less than what we do now.. for them to make "more than double"

edit: Also the NYTimes is just a regurgitated Athletic article.
According to this, we are supposed to reach up to $50 million, which would be half of what the B10 is supposed to get at the end of their deal. No one said we would be making less than what we are now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron