Receiving packages you didn't order

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Did you unknowingly sign up for a membership/subscription service from Amazon?

No, the items wouldn't be something you'd get from subscribe and save or the like. The one from Amazon is cheap electronics and nothing we've ever ordered before. The other is something my wife had ordered before a long time ago and it came from China so I'm thinking maybe this one got lost in customs for a while so they sent another. Just a guess but none of the items are worth enough to send back anyway.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Reminded me of a couple funny stories while working as a FedEx Driver in Des Moines. Number of years back I'm on the East side of Des Moines. Near the little Mexico area and that hispanic supermarket. I pull in there to re-organize packages when an unmarked cop pulls up next to my truck. Stated that he wanted me to deliver a package for him, showed me his badge and said they were doing surveillance on a house and needed confirmation that the guy was there. Sure what the hell..... Needless to say, they didn't wait to apprehend him, as soon as he signed for the box he was face first on the ground.

Another time out delivering for FedEx I was approached by an undercover agent for the postal service. Come to find out, a house I delivered to on a regular basis was ordering goods with stolen credit cards. Same situation. Deliver this package, I need confirmation that the person we're looking for is living in that house. This time they didn't bum rush the guy.

Good Times

Seems like Fed Ex would not be real happy about police putting their drivers in harm's way.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Drunk Amazoning is a thing you know.
vauEUgn.gif

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
To me this goes under the heading of just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

I'd do whatever I could to get this to the proper person or return it to the company.

Character is what you do when others aren't looking.

I wasn't trying to get into a moral argument about it, merely giving facts to direct the OP how they see fit.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Does anyone remember the PSA from way back in the 70s where a guy dressed up like an Inuit opens a box with an electric fan in it next to his igloo and they say something like did you know if someone sends you something you didn't order you can keep it?

I have no idea why I remember that...

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
i received several expensive gift items that were supposed to go somewhere else, the driver delivered to the wrong address. I found the lady on I think facebook, told her I had her items and that i would take them to the UPS store. She was very thakful.

I often wonder what stops people from saying they didnt receive an item from say amazon and have them send another item free of charge. Whose to say someone didnt steal it?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
i received several expensive gift items that were supposed to go somewhere else, the driver delivered to the wrong address. I found the lady on I think facebook, told her I had her items and that i would take them to the UPS store. She was very thakful.

I often wonder what stops people from saying they didnt receive an item from say amazon and have them send another item free of charge. Whose to say someone didnt steal it?

That's a whole different scenario. I get my neighbor's mail all the time. I don't keep it.

Cyisone

Apr 11, 2006
I'd make sure no one is using your credit card number to order them, with the intent to pick the packages up at your house when no one's home. Doubtful, but just to be safe.

Last year, someone did their Christmas shopping on my credit card number, and had everything shipped to Boston. I was notified by the CC company after the second purchase was completed.

The wife had this happen last year. Someone got a hold of her credit card number and a bunch of high end stuff was ordered. They start by using your home address then try to call after the order is placed to have it shipped somewhere else. In our case the package was already shipped to our house. The charges showed up later. They told us this was a normal scam and we just returned it. I would watch your cards closely.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
They're delivering the package there regardless. At least this way the police are there.

I thought he said the police gave him the package & told him to deliver it.

Wouldn't think they'd have authority to do that, but if nobody questions it then I suppose who would complain.

Help Support Us

Become a patron