Recipe for Turkey Breast

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
My smoker finally "gave up the ghost" and I am looking for a sure-fire recipe to cook a holiday turkey breast. I am not planning to replace the smoker right now - so I need to use the oven to prepare the turkey. I'd really appreciate any help / ideas for cooking a great tasting turkey breast. Thanks in advance!!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Set oven to 325. Coat cavity with salt. Baste with melted butter. Roast for 20 minutes per pound.

Note: Do not cover a turkey breast. The meat will be done before the outside burns anyway. If you cover it, the skin (best part) will be uncooked and fatty.

Reactions: kentkel

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Why are you going with turkey breast instead of whole bird? I've read a lot on oven roasting turkeys and over the years have tried different things and I believe in the theory that the shorter amount of time the bird is in the oven, the lesser the chances it gets dried out. I cook at higher heat, 425, and for a 20 lb. turkey it only takes 3ish hours. I'd suggest brining for at least 24 hours, helps avoid a dry turkey. Place a lot of butter between the skin and the breast, and then coat the outside with softened butter, salt, pepper.

Here's the recipe I've used for Thanksgiving the last few years and it's turned out great: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...pioneer-style-herb-roasted-turkey-recipe.html

Here's a brine recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/my-favorite-turkey-brine-recipe.html

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Why are you going with turkey breast instead of whole bird? I've read a lot on oven roasting turkeys and over the years have tried different things and I believe in the theory that the shorter amount of time the bird is in the oven, the lesser the chances it gets dried out. I cook at higher heat, 425, and for a 20 lb. turkey it only takes 3ish hours. I'd suggest brining for at least 24 hours, helps avoid a dry turkey. Place a lot of butter between the skin and the breast, and then coat the outside with softened butter, salt, pepper.

Here's the recipe I've used for Thanksgiving the last few years and it's turned out great: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...pioneer-style-herb-roasted-turkey-recipe.html

Here's a brine recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/my-favorite-turkey-brine-recipe.html
Thanks. I'm going with a turkey breast because it was given to me by my in-laws for the upcoming xmas dinner FOR them, otherwise, I'd be going with the whole bird. I appreciate the tips!!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Whatever you do, get a good, remote, meat thermometer and set it for 7 degrees under done. When it dings, pull it out and wrap in foil. Nothing better than perfectly cooked turkey, nothing worse than slightly over done turkey.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Whatever you do, get a good, remote, meat thermometer and set it for 7 degrees under done. When it dings, pull it out and wrap in foil. Nothing better than perfectly cooked turkey, nothing worse than slightly over done turkey.

I agree with this, but I also use an instant thermometer when it gets closer. easier to check multiple locations.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Late to this thread... We always cook turkey and turkey breasts in a bag. For a twelve pounder, put 5 celery stalks and 2 onions cut up in the bottom of the bag. Then I sprinkle Chef's Secret all over the turkey, place on top of the veggies, and cook according to instructions. They cook much faster in a bag. Just cooked one this morning.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I have an apricot preserve with honey basting recipe. Then cook in oven and perodically bast until done.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I appreciate the help from this thread - I've got a couple ideas I will be trying. Thanks again!!

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
kramer-turkey.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron