Record of # 2 seeds over the years....

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
I realize this is not a normal year, but how many times in the past did a team with 8 regular season losses get a 2 seed. Just wondering.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I realize this is not a normal year, but how many times in the past did a team with 8 regular season losses get a 2 seed. Just wondering.

North Carolina had 10 losses as #2 in 2018 and Dukes was sitting there as a #2 with 7 losses.

Edit: Forgot Ohio State this year, a #2 with 9 losses.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I think it happens more than you think. However, my bigger issue is that they simply don't have the wins to warrant a 2 seed in my opinion.

Yes they beat OSU on the road and a 17-10 Wisconsin team three times. Cool. They also lost twice to a bad Indiana team, lost to a horrible Minnesota team, didn't beat Illinois.

They beat the teams they should have beaten and struggled with teams more closely aligned to where everyone assumes they are.

They're good don't get me wrong. But they aren't 2 seed good.

Meanwhile Texas is a 3 seed with no bad losses (Villanova, Baylor (2), Texas Tech, Okie State, OU, WVU), have won 9 of last 11, and won the Big 12 tourney. Why are they a 3 and Iowa a 2?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think it happens more than you think. However, my bigger issue is that they simply don't have the wins to warrant a 2 seed in my opinion.

Yes they beat OSU on the road and a 17-10 Wisconsin team three times. Cool. They also lost twice to a bad Indiana team, lost to a horrible Minnesota team, didn't beat Illinois.

They beat the teams they should have beaten and struggled with teams more closely aligned to where everyone assumes they are.

They're good don't get me wrong. But they aren't 2 seed good.

Ohio States is also a #2 and they have nine losses. Iowa and OSU are both Top 10 in the NCAA NET which we would be touting if it was Iowa State in their spot.

The Gophers were playing decent early, especially at home, and even got ranked before they totally augered in.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
Based on the numbers, I do believe Iowa was worthy of a 2 seed this year - and they were a 2 seed in basically 99% of projected brackets. In the last ten seasons there have been eight 2 seeds with 8 or more losses.

I do not see them playing to their seed and making the elite eight though.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Based on the numbers, I do believe Iowa was worthy of a 2 seed this year - and they were a 2 seed in basically 99% of projected brackets. In the last ten seasons there have been eight 2 seeds with 8 or more losses.

I do not see them playing to their seed and making the elite eight though.
If they made the elite 8, I would absolutely shocked.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Outside of against us, where they look like Golden State, I've seen them three times, against Mich., Ill, and Ohio State. Wherever the Committee wants to seed them, they still will play down to their weaknesses. An easy first weekend will get them to the S. 16, but the Tournament has a ruthless way of exposing a team's weaknesses, and I'll be very surprised if they go farther than that. Even with Garza, their interior defense is sh t.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
They quite honestly got a very easy draw - especially if Kansas has covid issues, though I see USC making it to the elite eight from that part of the bracket.