Recruiting Direction

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I think we've already seen a big difference in the approach to recruiting between Coach Campbells staff and Coach Rhoads staff. Coach Campbell has made a couple of moves that the previous regimes would not have made, and one of those moves, is kinda under the radar but imo its quickly paying dividends.

I think its 100% a different recruiting philosophy.... Under Coach Rhoads, we had various Recruiting Coordinators which was a position coach such as Bobby Elliott and Asst recruiting coordinator. However, under Coach Campbell - he has a recruiting coordinator, and he also has two staff positions that appear to be dedicated to recruiting.

1. Director of Scouting.
2. Director of High School Relations

These are two people that are not position coaches that have other responsibilities. This allows these guys to review tape and find the best players available. To me, this is a huge advantage and although you may not see the return in this years class, i have a feeling with a full staff out recruiting - remember, right now we're without the offensive and defensive coordinators and we've secured some very good talent. What happens when those guys can get the players excited about this is how we could use you in this formation or that formation. Imo, you will see a big return in our recruiting next year especially if Coach Campbell can get some "W's" and get to a bowl game....

Not sure bout anyone else, but i'm pleased with the recruiting returns thus far. I believe that Coach Campbell has installed a philosophical idea that you increase the staff size to help in the most difficult area - recruiting. Get the right kids in place to allow him and his staff to do what they do best - Coach.

Great Start - now carry it through to signing day!!!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think we've already seen a big difference in the approach to recruiting between Coach Campbells staff and Coach Rhoads staff. Coach Campbell has made a couple of moves that the previous regimes would not have made, and one of those moves, is kinda under the radar but imo its quickly paying dividends.

I think its 100% a different recruiting philosophy.... Under Coach Rhoads, we had various Recruiting Coordinators which was a position coach such as Bobby Elliott and Asst recruiting coordinator. However, under Coach Campbell - he has a recruiting coordinator, and he also has two staff positions that appear to be dedicated to recruiting.

1. Director of Scouting.
2. Director of High School Relations

These are two people that are not position coaches that have other responsibilities. This allows these guys to review tape and find the best players available. To me, this is a huge advantage and although you may not see the return in this years class, i have a feeling with a full staff out recruiting - remember, right now we're without the offensive and defensive coordinators and we've secured some very good talent. What happens when those guys can get the players excited about this is how we could use you in this formation or that formation. Imo, you will see a big return in our recruiting next year especially if Coach Campbell can get some "W's" and get to a bowl game....

Not sure bout anyone else, but i'm pleased with the recruiting returns thus far. I believe that Coach Campbell has installed a philosophical idea that you increase the staff size to help in the most difficult area - recruiting. Get the right kids in place to allow him and his staff to do what they do best - Coach.

Great Start - now carry it through to signing day!!!!

Mitchell Moore was promoted to Director of HS relations in May 2015 under CPR. Mitchell Moore retained his position under Matt Campbell.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Strange, whenever Rhoads got guys without power 5 options, he was crucified on the boards, CMC does it and he is a world beater? I am stoked about a couple commits but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Strange, whenever Rhoads got guys without power 5 options, he was crucified on the boards, CMC does it and he is a world beater? I am stoked about a couple commits but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The difference being that CMC is taking some of these kids one month into the job, and CPR was relying on them 7 years into the job.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

The guys we are recruiting now have some really good offers. Some have been offered by CPR and we closed the deal and got commitments like Oge Udeogu.

DB D'Andre Payne.....Rivals Top 250 out of HS and a Tennessee recruit. And we are in on QB Justice Hansen......Rivals Top 250 our of HS and an Oklahoma recruit.

We have flipped Cinci commit Romelo Webster who also had a Pitt offer.

We are in on Sean Foster who has about 10 P5 offers. And Chase Allen who has several P5 offers.

If you have knowledge about what is happening with Iowa State recruiting, you would have reason to be excited. We are getting some good young recruits to visit and are getting them to commit. And doing this all within a few weeks of getting the job. It is great.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The difference being that CMC is taking some of these kids one month into the job, and CPR was relying on them 7 years into the job.

I do like how aggressive he is. I think it pays off with the closing of some higher profile guys late in the recruitment periods.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Good thing a lot of these guys we are in on have P5 offers, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
^ Like he said, don't most of our recruits have a lot of P5 options? Like all but maybe one or two?

I was having a hard time getting rivals to load the players pages so I can't check this out fully. If this is correct, I stand corrected.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Yeah I thought a lot of our recruits have p5 offers, yes some were Toledo commits but the vast majority have offers from p5 schools. I havent been this excited in football recruiting in a while. I normally just drool over the basketball recruits, but I feverishly reload Twitter to see if we have any new offers, visits, or commits for football now.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Toledo's class was ranked in the 50s IIRC, while Rhoads' was in the 80s.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Should CMC just bring an average Toledo recruiting class to ISU, we will be instantly upgraded on talent at least on paper.

Interesting to note that Iowa State has now moved to #78 while Toledo has dropped to #82 since Matt Campbell was hired.

IMO, Iowa State will move ahead of Kansas and K-State with some key additions and finish with a class in the 50's. I like the fact that we are not backing away and getting some Commits that are flipping their commitment.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Well CMC has never lost a FB game at ISU. :jimlad: