RECRUITING: Football commits

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
24/7 says Bobby Lawrence is a Grey shirt.

Total monster in his highlight video. Plays with some great pad level and heavy hands on those down blocks. Pretty impressive for a 6'8" high schooler!
At about 41 seconds into the HUDL video that one kid jumps up just as he shoves him in the chest and just tosses the kid away.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Greyshirt pays his way for Fall Semester. Then our seniors drop off the team in January and he goes on scholarship. Not on the team until January.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was awarded some academic scholarships or got some other type of financial aid to lessen the financial burden.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was awarded some academic scholarships or got some other type of financial aid to lessen the financial burden.

I don't think they can do this anymore. Too many stories of abuse to get around the 85 scholly limit, e.g., putting a kid on a track scholarship while he also plays FB.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
So they can't work out, or practice with the team? Or they can, but it's as a regular walk on?

This is correct. However, it is my understanding that they don't HAVE to enroll for the fall semester. They can wait to enroll in spring semester, when their scholarship kicks in. Most grayshirts, however, opt to enroll in the fall to take advantage of the weight room and get a jump on training and playbook. They can't, however, do those activities with the team.

• Informative
Reactions: WastedTalent

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
24/7 says Bobby Lawrence is a Grey shirt.

Total monster in his highlight video. Plays with some great pad level and heavy hands on those down blocks. Pretty impressive for a 6'8" high schooler!
He reminds me quite a bit of Sean Foster. They look like clones (no pun intended) in their highlight videos.

Obviously doesn't possess the offers Foster had, but still.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
This is correct. However, it is my understanding that they don't HAVE to enroll for the fall semester. They can wait to enroll in spring semester, when their scholarship kicks in. Most grayshirts, however, opt to enroll in the fall to take advantage of the weight room and get a jump on training and playbook. They can't, however, do those activities with the team.

Can't they enroll in the fall as part-time as a student with a greyshirt and then go full-time after fall semester?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
But why wouldn't they be able to be like a regular walk on, and join the team after camp? Then they'd be working out with the team, and be at practices. Then be given the scholarship at the semester.

Or is a greyshirt an actual ncaa protected position, to where the school is required to offer the scholarship at semester, and the kid doesn't have to worry about them backing out?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
But why wouldn't they be able to be like a regular walk on, and join the team after camp? Then they'd be working out with the team, and be at practices. Then be given the scholarship at the semester.

Or is a greyshirt an actual ncaa protected position, to where the school is required to offer the scholarship at semester, and the kid doesn't have to worry about them backing out?
Doesn't it all have to do with starting the NCAA 5 to play 4 clock? If they start as a full time student in the fall then their clock starts and their first season with the team (the next fall) is the second year of their five years. Is that correct?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

As answered above, that would start the clock.
Back in the 2000’s it was common for them to be part-time at ISU and to also take classes at DMACC while unofficially working the staff to get in S&C and playbook work. Greyshirts are great for linemen as they can basically get two redshirt years in to develop.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan21

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
milf-milf-milf-american-pie-1-vagonettas.gif

• Dislike
  • Winner
Reactions: cynile and ILikeCy