RECRUITING: Horton-Tucker just misses fifth-star, Griffin & Haliburton also in final Rivals150

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
What an awesome write up by Bossi. I've said for a while now that THT makes the starting rotation by big12 play but some people still aren't convinced.

Any idea if we will still see a bump on 247? Not that it matter much now

Mmbrooks

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2015
Montreal, QC
Its more painful when you remember that Anfernee Simmons isn't going to college, which effectively makes THT one spot out from a five star.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Horton-Tucker really didn't have much of a chance at a 5th star without being invited to any of the all star events. But obviously it doesn't really matter whether he got it or not because #31 is darn good.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, but can Prohm recruit? All those doubters must have been thinking about Jeff Prohm. This Steve Prohm guy is getting it done!

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I wonder if Shayok or THT will be able to guard the 4. I can see us going with NWB, Wiggs, Shayok, THT, and Lard as a starting lineup if it works on the defensive end.

Reactions: isutrevman

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I wonder if Shayok or THT will be able to guard the 4. I can see us going with NWB, Wiggs, Shayok, THT, and Lard as a starting lineup if it works on the defensive end.

Probably would depend on matchups and rebounding ability more than anything else with a lineup like that. If you can rebound effectively with that group then I think it has some interesting possibilities. I don't see that crew having the same issues with guarding stretch fours that last year's team did.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Its more painful when you remember that Anfernee Simmons isn't going to college, which effectively makes THT one spot out from a five star.
If you’re gonna look at it like that, Darius Bazley isn’t going to college either. But they’re still in the class so it makes sense to rank them IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Horton-Tucker really didn't have much of a chance at a 5th star without being invited to any of the all star events. But obviously it doesn't really matter whether he got it or not because #31 is darn good.
Why, yes, yes he is.

1464108816.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

NWB is 6'5" and 201 and Shayok is 6'6" and 200. I figure they each can guard 1-4 and really 1-5 against smaller lineups. They'll be good there.

Heck, Babb was guarding Przemek Karnowski two years ago (7'1" and 288) and did a rather decent job of it. We will have some flexible wing defenders.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclad

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah, but can Prohm recruit? All those doubters must have been thinking about Jeff Prohm. This Steve Prohm guy is getting it done!

Like an overused CF joke, this statement just doesn't die. Give it a rest. Besides most of the people that are criticizing Prohm's recruiting has to do with Grad transfers/transfer market rather than the high school circuit.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Like an overused CF joke, this statement just doesn't die. Give it a rest. Besides most of the people that are criticizing Prohm's recruiting has to do with Grad transfers/transfer market rather than the high school circuit.
Ya wanna know why it doesn't die? Because people legitimately still question Prohm's ability after every missed recruit.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Noticed Zion WIlliamson dropped to ranked 5th. That is a suprise

I'm not personally completely sold on Zion at this point as more than a freak athlete. I think he will be a nice player, but he's going to enter college with out of this world expectations that probably don't match up with the average No. 5 recruit. I hope I am wrong though because his pure athleticism makes him incredibly fun to watch.

Just looked up the past 10 No. 5 recruits though and the list is pretty interesting.

2017 - Trevon Duval [Duke] (OK one-and-done season, probably would come back in most years but kinda pushed out by circumstance, projected 24th overall by NBADraft.net)

2016 - Markelle Fultz [Washington] (No. 1 overall pick in the NBA Draft)

2015 - Cheik Diallo [Kansas] (Underwhelming at Kansas, third pick in the 2nd round of NBA Draft)

2014 - Karl Anthony-Towns [Kentucky] (No. 1 overall pick in the NBA Draft)

2013 - Andrew Harrison [Kentucky] (Part of two UK Final Four teams, 2nd round pick in NBA Draft)

2012 - Steven Adams [Pittsburgh] (Solid but nothing special one-and-done year, 12th overall in NBA Draft)

2011 - Marquis Teague [Kentucky] (Key player on UK national title team, 29th overall in the NBA Draft)

2010 - Jared Sullinger [Ohio State] (Two-time All-American, 21st overall in NBA Draft, now playing in China)

2009 - John Henson [North Carolina] (Two-time ACC DPOY, 14th overall in NBA Draft)

2008 - Scotty Hopson [Tennessee] (One-time first-team All-SEC, Undrafted, played in TBT last summer)

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I'm not personally sold on Zion at this point as more than a freak athlete. I think he will be a nice player, but he's going to enter college with out of this world expectations that probably don't match up with the average No. 5 recruit. I hope I am wrong though because his pure athleticism makes him incredibly fun to watch.

I have watched him play a few times. I think he is legit. He has a few things to work on but he can play for sure.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Probably would depend on matchups and rebounding ability more than anything else with a lineup like that. If you can rebound effectively with that group then I think it has some interesting possibilities. I don't see that crew having the same issues with guarding stretch fours that last year's team did.

Agree w/ Jared here. We should have the roster to play both small and big if the situation/opponent calls for it. I can't remember the last time we had a roster equipped to do so.

Small:Babb/Wigginton/Shayok/THT/Lard
Big:Babb/Shayok/Talley/Lard/Young

Reactions: Cyclonepride