RECRUITING: Iowa State beats out Washington State to land 2024 WR Dominic Overby

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
RECRUITING: Iowa State earned its second wide receiver commitment for the 2024 class on Sunday, beating out Washington State to land Dominic Overby.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This reminds me of the old days under Coach Mac. Where we'd have a few surprise, day of, signings, most never panned out but it was fun to dream for a few months.
Just another reality of the transfer portal. With 13 kids entering the portal, it's not realistic ISU will bring 13 transfers in. So the staff is probably going to add some HS kids that were down the target list.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
6’4” sounds nice. Would have like to have held on to Gaines, but like this kid as a replacement for Adams.

Last edited:
Reactions: RagingCloner

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just another reality of the transfer portal. With 13 kids entering the portal, it's not realistic ISU will bring 13 transfers in. So the staff is probably going to add some HS kids that were down the target list.
Not necessarily “down the target list”. In the case of the four kids who visited this weekend, it looks to me more like “emerged as a senior”.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not necessarily “down the target list”. In the case of the four kids who visited this weekend, it looks to me more like “emerged as a senior”.
Maybe. But would they have committable offers if we didn't have 13 players enter the portal?

If we have 6 or 8 guys enter portal, staff probably gives scholarships to walk-ons like Bacon, Surgess, etc. and then try to bring in a handful of portal guys to fill immediate needs on next years roster.

So with 13 guys entering portal we probably see something like:
  1. 2-4 walk-ons get scholarships
  2. 5ish Portal Adds
  3. 5ish Late HS/JUCO Adds

• Disagree
Reactions: wing59

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe. But would they have committable offers if we didn't have 13 players enter the portal?

If we have 6 or 8 guys enter portal, staff probably gives scholarships to walk-ons like Bacon, Surgess, etc. and then try to bring in a handful of portal guys to fill immediate needs on next years roster.

So with 13 guys entering portal we probably see something like:
  1. 2-4 walk-ons get scholarships
  2. 5ish Portal Adds
  3. 5ish Late HS/JUCO Adds
That’s a specious argument. Not to mention that your numbers don’t account for super senior returnees. For that matter, there will likely be more hitting the Portal after Spring ball.

The coaches held off on filling out the class until they knew better how many kids were going to do. They actually saved Official Visits for now.

The question about “committable offers” is just a reach, because if CMC didn’t think that it was worthwhile to offer what are clearly developmental prospects—which this program has thrived on—all he had to do was dig deeper at the portal, or scrape away at those JC freshmen with three years left, like he did a couple of years ago. Or bank some of them, considering the ‘25 signing class will likely be a big bounce back year.

I’ve looked at the handful of guys we recently offered. One (Carnell) only played JV ball as a junior, another (Rutledge) missed half of his junior season due to injury. Overby blew up, going from a mere nine catches to 67 as a senior. Most of these guys are like that.

CMC is taking advantage of the opportunity created, not filling out a class with scrubs. That was a Mac and Rhoads thing.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That’s a specious argument. Not to mention that your numbers don’t account for super senior returnees. For that matter, there will likely be more hitting the Portal after Spring ball.

The coaches held off on filling out the class until they knew better how many kids were going to do. They actually saved Official Visits for now.

The question about “committable offers” is just a reach, because if CMC didn’t think that it was worthwhile to offer what are clearly developmental prospects—which this program has thrived on—all he had to do was dig deeper at the portal, or scrape away at those JC freshmen with three years left, like he did a couple of years ago. Or bank some of them, considering the ‘25 signing class will likely be a big bounce back year.

I’ve looked at the handful of guys we recently offered. One (Carnell) only played JV ball as a junior, another (Rutledge) missed half of his junior season due to injury. Overby blew up, going from a mere nine catches to 67 as a senior. Most of these guys are like that.

CMC is taking advantage of the opportunity created, not filling out a class with scrubs. That was a Mac and Rhoads thing.

So where did I say Campbell was using last minute scholarship adds on scrubs? Or anything close to that?

"Down the target list" is a reality whether the school is Alabama or Iowa State. Every staff prioritizes recruits. The HS guys we are offering now didn't make the first cut of offers over the summer. Now that we have 13 open scholarships, we want them.

Last time I looked, the NFL is full of players who went to G5 or FCS schools. Recruiting is a #'s game. 5 stars bust out and 2 stars make the NFL. Recruiting is no different than sales, it's a numbers game. So I'm just as excited about our offering Dominic Overby as Dylan Lee.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
6’4” sounds nice. Would have like to have held on to Gaines, but like this kid as a replacement for Adams.
Saw in the transfer thread Gaines best offer right now is Toledo. Maybe he wasnt as big of a loss as we fans think

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I have to think it would nearly be impossible for both Washington St and Oregon State to recruit kids with P5 talent to sign with them, knowing that they are going to be playing in the MWC starting next fall. Any kid that had other P5 offers would be silly not jumping on that offer.

Reactions: Letterkenny

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I have to think it would nearly be impossible for both Washington St and Oregon State to recruit kids with P5 talent to sign with them, knowing that they are going to be playing in the MWC starting next fall. Any kid that had other P5 offers would be silly not jumping on that offer.
Ive wondered about this too. Even with the expanded playoff, does the MWC champion even have a shot?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Ive wondered about this too. Even with the expanded playoff, does the MWC champion even have a shot?
For the next 2 years someone will have a shot at that bid, but don’t count on it after 2026 when the playoff goes to market and the SEC/Big10 throw their **** on the table.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin