Recruiting: King scores 30 in 3OT win, joins Watson in punching tickets to MN HS state tourney

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I checked on KIng & Watson's progress in getting to the MN State Tournament.

Here are some quotes from Watson's game against Columbia Heights. Gotta love comments about his defense!!!

Chatman scored 17 points, including four points in the last three minutes after the Hylanders tied the game at 40-40. Demarion Watson added 16 points and, more importantly, shut down Columbia Heights' leading scorer, Muja Burton, who averaged 22.9 points per game during the regular season and was coming off a 37-point performance in a section semifinal victory. Burton finished the game with just eight points and struggled to get his hands on the ball.

-----
Demarion Watson, a 6-8 senior, drew the task of shadowing Burton and he did everything his coach asked for. Burton struggled to get his hands on the ball much less get off a shot.
"Demarion's a special kid," Eagles coach Nick Carroll said. "Our goal was to make life problematic for Burton, and Demarion did that." Watson also took on a big offensive load, hitting three three-pointers in the first half and finishing with 16 points.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Look like King's team is advancing to semifinals. Below is from Lacrosse paper

The senior and Iowa State University commit scored a game-high 17 points and added eight rebounds, five assists, five steals and three blocks in leading second-seeded Caledonia to a 51-40 win over unseeded Perham to send it to a Friday night semifinal game.

Eli Kings Box

NameMinFG3PTFTORBDRBTRBFoulsF DrwnPointsAstTOStealsBSBA+/-
Eli King34:187-131-52-217801175253014

Next Game - Friday, March 25 at 8pm

Watson's Totino-Grace team advanced with a dominating 83-50 win. Watson had 12 pts & 4 rbds in a little over 22 minutes.

Watson's Box
NameMinFG3PTFTORBDRBTRBFoulsF DrwnPointsAstTOStealsBSBA+/-
Demarion Watson22:145-102-50-004403120110037

Next Game - Thursday, March 24 at 12pm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Watson's TG squad crushed Mankato East in the semifinals 77-39. I haven't been able to see a box score yet, but I know Watson wasn't the leading scorer. He had a teammate who went for 27. TG dominated wire to wire.

I turned on the TV at lunchtime just in time to see them interviewing said teammate post-game so I missed the game.

On a side note, this will be an opportunity for TG to win their very first State Championship. Their girls team just won their championship. A few of my daughter's former teammates are on that team.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Watson's TG squad crushed Mankato East in the semifinals 77-39. I haven't been able to see a box score yet, but I know Watson wasn't the leading scorer. He had a teammate who went for 27. TG dominated wire to wire.

I turned on the TV at lunchtime just in time to see them interviewing said teammate post-game so I missed the game.

On a side note, this will be an opportunity for TG to win their very first State Championship. Their girls team just won their championship. A few of my daughter's former teammates are on that team.

Here is box score from their win. Box Score

Damarion had 7 pts/5 rbds on 3-8 shooting & 0-4 from 3.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I know we are recruiting Chatman. 6’3” SG, but I know a guy who’s from up there who describes him as a “floor general”. Good handles and vision. I’m wonder if Patrick Bath is someone we are keeping an eye on too. He’s the kid who scored 27 for Totino-Grace. The same guy who talks about Chatman says this Bath kid (junior) is really skinny, but a skilled 6’9”.

As for Watson, he says they just put him on the other team’s best player and he shuts them down.

Reactions: t-noah

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I might see the start of the Caledonia (Eli King) semifinal tonight at 8, but I have a feeling I will be otherwise occupied by the end. ;)

CSR99

Nov 25, 2015
King looks to have had a serious growth spurt. Wasn’t he listed at 6’3” when he committed? In the highlight clip above, he looks to be 6’5” in bare feet with a 6’10” type wingspan. What a beast!!