RECRUITING: Morrow to Marquette

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would, Bowie was a decent bench guy. Holden was worthless and Kasongo is TBD.

When you go from guys like Burton, Nader, Kane, to transfers like Beverly and Bowie things are going downhill fast for Prohm in that regard. His high school recruiting appears to be solid, but kind of our gig is blending top transfers with high school kids. That's not happening anymore.
Going from guys like Custer and the Greek to Wigginton, Young, Lard, Lewis and McNeil is a pretty positive change though.
Now everybody's gig is blending transfers w HS kids, including blue bloods. And to be honest there weren't any HS ingredients to that mix prior to this past season since Monte and Matt were FR.
I think Shayok is gong to be big-time. I'm disappointed in lack of success so far for getting immediate help to keep the streak alive. However I'm more bullish on Beverly than most. I like a guy that hasn't played much bball and still produced and I like his attitude. Would be happy with Hans as well.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
That wasn't my question, but it is interesting.

Someone mentioned that 1 commit out of 5 visits was bad. It sure seems bad. But I have no idea what other schools get. Is everyone else batting .500 or .750? Or is it around .400? I have no idea. But it seems stupid to freak out about it being terrible without knowing what is 'good'.

I would guess for the good transfers most of them are taking 5 visits. Only one of the 5 schools is getting a commit. So 1/5 is probably about the industry average these days for all schools put together. We may have been a little spoiled in recent years before now but agree I don't think it's anything to be upset with the staff about.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I would guess for the good transfers most of them are taking 5 visits. Only one of the 5 schools is getting a commit. So 1/5 is probably about the industry average these days for all schools put together. We may have been a little spoiled in recent years before now but agree I don't think it's anything to be upset with the staff about.

I would say the average is 2.5 actually. I can't recall many of the transfers we've recruited over the years that have taken more than 2-3.

At this point in their careers, they know what they're looking for. They're not interested in milking the process like many HS kids. They're not looking for attention.

They find the top 2-3 programs that have situations that are a good fit for them, and identify the one school/team that they connect with the most.

I would love to see some examples of kids that have taken all 5 visits.

This year off the top of my head....

Morrow 2
Shayok 2
Brown 4
Egor 2
Crawford 1-2?
Beverly 1 (will likely be his last)
Brase (1 so far)

Last year....

Kasongo 1?
Holden 1-2?
Bowie 1?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I would say the average is 2.5 actually. I can't recall many of the transfers we've recruited over the years that have taken more than 2-3.

At this point in their careers, they know what they're looking for. They're not interested in milking the process like many HS kids. They're not looking for attention.

They find the top 2-3 programs that have situations that are a good fit for them, and identify the one school/team that they connect with the most.

I would love to see some examples of kids that have taken all 5 visits.

This year off the top of my head....

Morrow 2
Shayok 2
Brown 4
Egor 2
Crawford 1-2?
Beverly 1 (will likely be his last)
Brase (1 so far)

Last year....

Kasongo 1?
Holden 1-2?
Bowie 1?

Brase will have 3 (counting ISU) if he gets here

Reactions: isutrevman

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I don't think it's very telling to give every school that receives a visit an equal shot. For example, with Elijah Brown's recruitment he visited 4 places. Oregon was always viewed as the favorite while Iowa State and Gonzaga were underdogs with an outside chance and Northwestern never seemed like a real possibility at all. It's just not an exact science... each individual and scenario is different.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am sure this has been stated here I am just to lazy to review, I think we go Beverly, and Hans and sit on 1 scholarship(maybe for mid-year).... IMO this is down to option D and E maybe E and F but the t-fer game is way more fluid than is use to be.... KU has now ended up with 4???

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I am sure this has been stated here I am just to lazy to review, I think we go Beverly, and Hans and sit on 1 scholarship(maybe for mid-year).... IMO this is down to option D and E maybe E and F but the t-fer game is way more fluid than is use to be.... KU has now ended up with 4???

Beverly is option B to Juiston, no clue where we are at on Hans. He's definitely down the list. I am not sold on who KU got besides the Memphis kids.

• Agree

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Going from guys like Custer and the Greek to Wigginton, Young, Lard, Lewis and McNeil is a pretty positive change though.
Now everybody's gig is blending transfers w HS kids, including blue bloods. And to be honest there weren't any HS ingredients to that mix prior to this past season since Monte and Matt were FR.
I think Shayok is gong to be big-time. I'm disappointed in lack of success so far for getting immediate help to keep the streak alive. However I'm more bullish on Beverly than most. I like a guy that hasn't played much bball and still produced and I like his attitude. Would be happy with Hans as well.

I guess if you want to look at it that way and compare Hoibergs worst high school recruits with Prohms best.

Niang, Thomas, and Morris were all big time recruits out of high school, so I would rather compare them to our incoming high school kids. Without seeing any of Wiggington, Lewis, or Lard yet I think its safe to say Hoiberg was at least equal if not better than Prohm in bringing in high school talent, and far above Prohms ability to secure transfers.

str8cashhomie

Jun 15, 2014
I guess if you want to look at it that way and compare Hoibergs worst high school recruits with Prohms best.

Niang, Thomas, and Morris were all big time recruits out of high school, so I would rather compare them to our incoming high school kids. Without seeing any of Wiggington, Lewis, or Lard yet I think its safe to say Hoiberg was at least equal if not better than Prohm in bringing in high school talent, and far above Prohms ability to secure transfers.
I think he was comparing more the last class high school guys Hoiberg actually brought in against the first real class of Prohm. So I guess a better comparison would be Custer/Greek to Long/Solomon/Lard/Jackson.

• Winner

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Morrow a big guy with bad feet, wish him well but wondering if he'll stay healthy.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

And comparing five years worth of recruits vs a coach's first full recruiting cycle isn't exactly apples to apples. Not to mention the former had Otz, the same guy that pulled good talent during the McDoormat dumpster fire.
I'm just saying the transfer world is completely different now, so luckily Prohm has done well in HS recruiting. Prohm got Wigginton in his first full recruiting cycle, who is considerably higher ranked than George's, Monte and Matt were. As I see it without Otz Fred pulled Custer and the Greek as HS recruits. Prohm pulled Wigginton and co.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I am so boggled by Morrows choice. How is this possible? We are talking Marquette over Iowa State. There's no comparison.

I just don't get Milwaukee over Ames.
Isn't Morrow from the Chicago area? Marquette is way closer to his home. Nevertheless, I wished he would have chosen ISU.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It's much like farming bro. You can't have the highest yield in the state every year. There's many factors in play.

Completely agree - when we don't have high yields on our farm we recognize that, assess where we fell short, and try to correct it going forward. We should be able to do that here too, if you want to use that analogy. People here don't even want to recognize the fact that we didn't have a great transfer season.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce