RECRUITING: Sterling Galban commits

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What a joke. How do you go from "I'll be enrolling early in the fall and rooming with Re-al Mitchell" and openly be recruiting other players to come to ISU with them, then de-commit 2 weeks later.

Not to mention doing the whole podcast thing with Stansbury. Awkward.

This is what I was thinking. And I was really looking forward to his speed. Wasn't he the guy with the Ivy League offers?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Did Jackson technically "decommit"? IIRC he publicly talked about weighing his options and considered breaking ties, but I don't think he officially did it. Could be wrong though.
No, but he definitely thought about his other options and had to be re-recruited, which is the same thing, he just never used the word "decommit" which doesn't mean anything, it's just a word recruits like to use to make it sound official, just like "committed". Galban was never committed. If you are looking at other schools, you aren't committed.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is it wrong to assume any texas school will have better Wide out options than ISU, does he not think there's going to be competition there?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Is it wrong to assume any texas school will have better Wide out options than ISU, does he not think there's going to be competition there?

He outwardly prides himself on how hard he works (on twitter). But all of a sudden, there's some competition and he becomes a sad panda and drops his commitment to ISU. He's an attention seeker.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I can't even think of one instance where any recruit who decommited but still said they were "considering" the school actually ended up signing there. Pretty sure it's the equivalent of "we can still be friends".

The only one that comes close is Donovan Jackson.

In football there was Nigel Tribune. He committed to ISU, changed his commitment to Indiana but on signing day ended up being a Cyclone. Asshats on the internet were the reason he was initially scared away from ISU.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
He outwardly prides himself on how hard he works (on twitter). But all of a sudden, there's some competition and he becomes a sad panda and drops his commitment to ISU. He's an attention seeker.

I disagree with this sentiment. A kid has one chance to play college football. Why take the risk that you may end up on a second team and never see the field when you can go elsewhere and have a better chance to start? If the NCAA were to ease the transfer rules, then I can see a possibility of giving it a go. But if he gets beat out that's essentially two years of not seeing the field (1 at ISU, 1 sitting out).

Until the kid signs an LOI, they should be able to make whatever decision is best for them.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I disagree with this sentiment. A kid has one chance to play college football. Why take the risk that you may end up on a second team and never see the field when you can go elsewhere and have a better chance to start? If the NCAA were to ease the transfer rules, then I can see a possibility of giving it a go. But if he gets beat out that's essentially two years of not seeing the field (1 at ISU, 1 sitting out).

Until the kid signs an LOI, they should be able to make whatever decision is best for them.

He's most likely going to a P5 school and everything you just explained applies to all those schools. He's going to have to compete for playing time anywhere he goes.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I committed to my wife 11 years ago. I uncommitted to her last year. Im 43 years old. I think a high school kid can change his mind 20 times before he either shows up or don't show up. Probably a good kid and got a little excited after his visit with the coaches and committed to Iowa State. Then his parents said "Why don't you look around a little bit and make sure this is what you want". It's fine. We will be good with or without him.

• Informative
Reactions: Hayes30 and ISUguy

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I committed to my wife 11 years ago. I uncommitted to her last year. Im 43 years old. I think a high school kid can change his mind 20 times before he either shows up or don't show up. Probably a good kid and got a little excited after his visit with the coaches and committed to Iowa State. Then his parents said "Why don't you look around a little bit and make sure this is what you want". It's fine. We will be good with or without him.

Was your wife committed to you?

Sounds like you were just involved.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I was a little bummed when he 1st announced he was gonna reopen things up on Twitter but with how well are sitting with other Wide Outs we are going after, and actually having a commit from the guy the Staff had higher on their board at the slot makes me a feel a little bit better.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron