Recruits at PIAA Individual Tourney

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
ISU commits Paniro Johnson and Cam Robinson have both advanced to the PIAA class AAA Semifinals.

Paniro won 7-4 his first match and pinned his next guy in 0:51 in the quarters.

Cam won 18-4 his first match and 4-2 in the quarters.

I'm not too familiar with their opponents, but I know Cam's quarters match was with Nathan Stefanik, a two-time place winner and Princeton commit. He's brother to current Princeton wrestler, Travis Stefanik. It seems like a pretty decent win to move onto the Semis.

Sounds like Paniro's Semifinal match will be a tough one against two-time place winner and Cornell commit, Cole Handlovic.

Last edited:

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Cam pickEd up a fall in 0:36 to advance to the finals.

Paniro dropped a tough 0-4 decision to Handlovic. Paniro was in on plenty good shots, but Handlovic’s leg defense and riding ability were too good.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Cam got beat in the finals 11-8 by the 2nd ranked kid at 152. Tough loss, but I think Cam has a ton of potential. Excited to see him in cardinal and gold. Paniro ended up getting 3rd place

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have decided to de-commit from Penn State University.. I will be taking some time to thoroughly reconsider my future plans</p>&mdash; Trey Kibe (@TreyKibe) <a href="">March 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone know if we are in on this kid? Seems like it could be a long shot, but we've got nothing to lose by trying. Plenty of time until signing day for the 2021 class.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have decided to de-commit from Penn State University.. I will be taking some time to thoroughly reconsider my future plans</p>&mdash; Trey Kibe (@TreyKibe) <a href="">March 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone know if we are in on this kid? Seems like it could be a long shot, but we've got nothing to lose by trying. Plenty of time until signing day for the 2021 class.

I have not heard his name brought up as linked to Iowa State. He is from Michigan, so there is that connection, but haven't heard of any other connection.

Supposedly from the same school as the Hidlays, so many think NC State is most likely

isufan2

Nov 15, 2014
Gary and Sandi Redding watched their son Zach go through the same disappointment a year ago. Redding, the state champion at 120 pounds in 2018, fell short of his second state title last year. The Eastport-South Manor junior dropped a 6-4 decision to Tyler Kellison of Jamesville-DeWitt and was forced into the consolation bracket.

“He was destroyed because he wanted to be a three-time state champion,” Gary said. “I told him how important it was for him to pick himself up, dust himself off and come back strong – and that goes for everything he’ll do in his life. There’s going to be ups and downs and sports gives us the opportunity to experience success and failure. The character of any person is how they react when they’re down.”

Redding won his next two bouts and finished third at 126 in 2019.

“That may have helped him developmentally more than anything,” Gary said. “I was paralyzed when he lost. But we talked about it and he gathered himself and here we are in 2020.”

Redding got redemption this year, winning the 132-pound Division I state title with a 4-2 win over sophomore Jayden Scott of Rush-Henrietta on Saturday night. The senior finished his season 52-0.

As for Mauriello, he’ll climb aboard the winners podium, and be proud of his final day of wrestling.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Gary and Sandi Redding watched their son Zach go through the same disappointment a year ago. Redding, the state champion at 120 pounds in 2018, fell short of his second state title last year. The Eastport-South Manor junior dropped a 6-4 decision to Tyler Kellison of Jamesville-DeWitt and was forced into the consolation bracket.

“He was destroyed because he wanted to be a three-time state champion,” Gary said. “I told him how important it was for him to pick himself up, dust himself off and come back strong – and that goes for everything he’ll do in his life. There’s going to be ups and downs and sports gives us the opportunity to experience success and failure. The character of any person is how they react when they’re down.”

Redding won his next two bouts and finished third at 126 in 2019.

“That may have helped him developmentally more than anything,” Gary said. “I was paralyzed when he lost. But we talked about it and he gathered himself and here we are in 2020.”

Redding got redemption this year, winning the 132-pound Division I state title with a 4-2 win over sophomore Jayden Scott of Rush-Henrietta on Saturday night. The senior finished his season 52-0.

As for Mauriello, he’ll climb aboard the winners podium, and be proud of his final day of wrestling.

I think Redding has potential to be a very good recruit. Glad he flew under the radar and is going to be a Cyclone!

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Makes sense, he was recruited right over when they went and got Facundo. I don’t know if this staff had a backup plan for Alex, but I doubt it was Kibe with where he was from and who he was committed to.