Regents to Mull Program Cuts to Meet Budget

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I had classes that double counted so I just needed the credits to graduate and was working full time the last two years of school. 60+ hour weeks during tax season kill the ability to go too nuts on classes.

And instead of library, if they want something useful, make students take HDFS 283 (personal finance). The class isn't hard, but you can take a LOT away from it and in this day and age, most students do need finance lessons.

The programming class was a total joke and a complete waste of time. Professors should be fired for 15% being a passing grade.

They won't let you take the intro Spanish courses if you took 4 years in high school. Bastards. The problem boils down to the times of those classes. I actually did want to take the English 309 class but it was at the exact same time as the only section of one of the accounting classes. I don't think those were the requirements I had though (I'm 2007-2009 catalog).

So I'm lazy? I'm going to go ahead and guess since the beginning of last year I've worked more hours than you have (dead serious). And you shouldn't have to "load up the hours" like you say to take classes that would actually be useful. If you get the 120 credits and take the required courses for any degree, who gives a crap if you have other random crap? I worked my way to a degree and looking back I could've gotten a lot more out of my degree with less time wasted on electives and more in the college of business. Are some classes (Engl 250 and SPCM 212 come to mind) very helpful? Absolutely. Are others? (Phil 230 and Stat 226/326) Not at all.

Don't blame the school for those waste classes then. You chose to take worthless classes and then blame the school for making you take the worthless classes. There were plenty of meaningful options that you chose not to take. Thats your decision, not something the school made you do.

As for Spanish, if they won't let you take 101 and 102 for it, take 201. That must be a new change for 101 and 102. I know that in 2005 at least, 101 and 102 would fulfill the international perspectives requirement.

Stop criticizing the school and spreading lies that they made you take all those worthless classes. There were a handful of worthless classes, but more than half of what you listed could have been replaced with meaningful classes. The fact that you had a busy work schedule led you to choose not to take the meaningful classes. Thats a perfectly reasonable choice, but don't try to say the school forced you to make those decisions.

Reactions: Three4Cy

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Don't blame the school for those waste classes then. You chose to take worthless classes and then blame the school for making you take the worthless classes. There were plenty of meaningful options that you chose not to take. Thats your decision, not something the school made you do.

As for Spanish, if they won't let you take 101 and 102 for it, take 201. That must be a new change for 101 and 102. I know that in 2005 at least, 101 and 102 would fulfill the international perspectives requirement.

Stop criticizing the school and spreading lies that they made you take all those worthless classes. There were a handful of worthless classes, but more than half of what you listed could have been replaced with meaningful classes. The fact that you had a busy work schedule led you to choose not to take the meaningful classes. Thats a perfectly reasonable choice, but don't try to say the school forced you to make those decisions.
Unfortunately you can't just jump in and take whatever classes you want. There's no reason to have to wait to take classes if you know what you want to do. I came in and knew I wanted to do accounting. Let me declare accounting and take four years of accounting classes instead of having an academic advisor steer you into joke classes tha don't serve any purpose because everything else is full and you're a freshman. Freshman year for the most part is a waste because your class selections are limited as can be but you HAVE to take something. That's on the University. Screw pre-business...or other pre programs where there isn't an application process. Let students walk in and "enjoy their adventure at Iowa State!" I won't totally hate on my advisor since he got me into the professional program a semester early but it shouldn't have mattered.

Turbo

Jan 10, 2011
Ames
ISU requires a basic library class. I'm pretty sure a personal finance class would go a long ways towards helping anyone out than a library class, especially with all the student debt issues.

The library class is outdated due to the internet catalog. I still needed the library class more than a class about personal finance

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The library class is outdated due to the internet catalog. I still needed the library class more than a class about personal finance

Having taken both, the library class is pretty much worthless and is totally worthless when you leave Iowa State. The personal finance class (online) isn't actually very beneficial while you're in school, but understanding retirement, life insurance, health insurance, budgeting, etc. Is actually useful long after you've left Iowa State.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Having taken both, the library class is pretty much worthless and is totally worthless when you leave Iowa State. The personal finance class (online) isn't actually very beneficial while you're in school, but understanding retirement, life insurance, health insurance, budgeting, etc. Is actually useful long after you've left Iowa State.

I'm going to guess most that graduate college, unless they have taken any finance classes, know little about retirement, life/health insurance or budgeting. Heck, were rarely taught any of this in any accounting/finance classes. You know, probably stuff you should know once you graduate, however very little do.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

You have to show up for that Library class for 2 times during the whole semester? It's a whopping 0.5 credits. Complaining about Library is really a stretch.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
So I'm lazy? I'm going to go ahead and guess since the beginning of last year I've worked more hours than you have (dead serious).

Seriously? You complain about choosing to take the easiest classes, and then when they call you lazy your rebuttal is "dead serious i've 'worked' more hours than you have this year"?

You have 200 posts over the past 16 days or over 12 posts a day... what's your job, ******* around on the internet all day? just because you charge a client for a lot of hours on site doesn't mean you're not lazy/doing actual work

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Seriously? You complain about choosing to take the easiest classes, and then when they call you lazy your rebuttal is "dead serious i've 'worked' more hours than you have this year"?

You have 200 posts over the past 16 days or over 12 posts a day... what's your job, ******* around on the internet all day? just because you charge a client for a lot of hours on site doesn't mean you're not lazy/doing actual work

Summer = "down" time for public accountants if returns on extension are completed. 60-70 hour weeks add up damn fast during tax season, especially as a FT student. 12 posts per day could be a half hour on CF.

And not all of those classes were chosen. That was mostly my freshman year...aka a total waste. Golf and those classses were as an upperclassman and I totally agree they were wasted. Please, go ahead and tell me being forced into sociology and **** like that as a freshman helped with my accounting degree. You seem to miss the whole, "freshman don't get to pick ****" concept.

Last edited: