Regular ESPN after cutting cable.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Okay so I cut cable. I have espn+ for the Big XII network and want to know the best [cheapest and easiest] way to get regular ESPN for the few games we have on those channels.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
Okay so I cut cable. I have espn+ for the Big XII network and want to know the best [cheapest and easiest] way to get regular ESPN for the few games we have on those channels.
Should be able to stream normal ESPN programming on the ESPN app if you pay for ESPN+... I could be wrong, but believe that's the case.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Should be able to stream normal ESPN programming on the ESPN app if you pay for ESPN+... I could be wrong, but believe that's the case.

I don't believe that is the case. If you subscribe to ESPN+ alone, you do not get regular ESPN.

If you subscribe to ESPN through your cable/dish/youtubetv/hulu etc then you can get ESPN regular as part of your ESPN+ subscription

Last edited:

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I don't believe that is the case. If you subscribe to ESPN+ alone, you do not get regular ESPN.

If you get subscribe to ESPN through your cable/dish/youtubetv/hulu etc then you can get ESPN regular as part of your ESPN+ subscription
Which makes me wonder, why can’t you get regular ESPN? Or even the option to pay extra for it?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Which makes me wonder, why can’t you get regular ESPN? Or even the option to pay extra for it?
ESPN will probably get there in a few years with a direct to consumer model. But for now, I suspect ESPN's agreements with cable and streaming platforms prevents them from going direct.

Or the revenue premium from bundling Disney/ESPN channels on cable/streaming platforms is hard to walk away from.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Like @ISUTex said, you can get a long way with free trials if you really want to save money and only are getting it to watch Iowa State games. Beyond that, the Sling Orange package is probably your best bet if you want cheap. Note that Sling Orange doesn't include FS1, FS2, or the Big 10 Network (or certain other channels like cable news), those are on Sling Blue. However, you can go to your account and switch back and forth between Sling Orange and Blue at no extra cost (rather than paying for the Orange + Blue) if there's something specific you want to watch on a channel in the other package.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Do a free trial with Youtube TV. Then a free trial with Fubo. Then a free trial with Sling. Then a free trial with Hulu.
I ended up after the free month of YouTube TV using them. Great options and only $78, then added espn plus split with the in laws!

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Do a free trial with Youtube TV. Then a free trial with Fubo. Then a free trial with Sling. Then a free trial with Hulu.
This is the way to go and I did the same. Settled eventually on YouTube TV and haven't looked back.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Sling is the cheapest way to just get ESPN if you don’t care about much else.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This is anecdotal but it seems like there's a lot more ESPN content being made available simultaneously on ESPN+ lately. Most of the bowl games were up until New Year's Day, plus some NFL games. Maybe they're just trying to get people used to streaming for when they launch their own streaming service in a year or two.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Since you are already paying for ESPN+, you could switch to the Disney bundle which includes Hulu, Disney+, and Espn+ for about $15 per month.

Hulu has ESPN and just about anything else you used to get on cable

Edit: My mistake. This does not include the live TV package. Thanks to ianoconner for clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: bozclone