Remote TV Reception

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Need some advice on remote TV reception -

We have a hunting cabin in rural North Central IA. We get regular (non-subscription) TV channels but would like to get Fox, ESPN, & others for the football season only. We have fiber optic at our home in rural Ames. Looks like most of the satellite suppliers want a 12 mo. minimum package. Also, the only internet service is that part that comes with my I-pad package. Any suggestions would be welcome.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Forget the name but there is a place in Ankeny that sells Directv dishes for tailgating. Do you have DIrectv today? If so you should be able to take one of the extra receiver from another room with you to the hunting cabin and hook it up to the directv dish.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Need some advice on remote TV reception -

We have a hunting cabin in rural North Central IA. We get regular (non-subscription) TV channels but would like to get Fox, ESPN, & others for the football season only. We have fiber optic at our home in rural Ames. Looks like most of the satellite suppliers want a 12 mo. minimum package. Also, the only internet service is that part that comes with my I-pad package. Any suggestions would be welcome.

So it's a 3G iPad - what is your data package? Is the possibility of streaming not an option?

Easiest option sounds like an AppleTV and then you stream the iPad content to your TV. With your DirecTV subscription you should have the option to stream those channels through various apps (Fox Sports, WatchESPN, BTN, etc). That would rack up the data usage but it would be a breeze to setup. This is how I watch most football games at my house.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
We are a Directv subscriber. We use an oval dish and an older receiver at the cabin and for tailgating. The receiver isn't HD which makes it easier to get a high signal. Pay $5 a month to have it active. Cancel it from December - April.

The cabin is in a valley where cell phone use is spotty so don't have Internet. If I decide that it's important will probably try a booster then something like Hughesnet

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Thanks for the replies, however, we don't presently have Directv, just fiber optic (buried cable).

Well what about streaming via the iPad? There is another thread titled "Cutting the Cord" that discusses streaming options to view sports and other channels. You could look at subscription services like Playstation Vue and SlingTV as an option - that way you would only need the service during the sports season and could cancel at anytime.

Help Support Us

Become a patron