Renderings of Iowa's new fball facility

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Just when ISU catches up a bit in the facility arms race, Iowa takes the next step. I wouldn't argue that their facilities are going to be better all around, although they already have arguably one of the best weight rooms in the country, but when they have more resources and recruiting successes this doesn't help:

Renderings of new indoor football facility | TheGazette

Jul 20, 2011
Just when ISU catches up a bit in the facility arms race, Iowa takes the next step. I wouldn't argue that their facilities are going to be better all around, although they already have arguably one of the best weight rooms in the country, but when they have more resources and recruiting successes this doesn't help:

While I think it is pretty cool Iowa is getting pretty sweet facilities, kind of makes me worry. As a long time Iowa season ticket holder it makes me wonder when I will be priced out of the market. The more you win, the more you seemingly have to spend. Said coach keeps winning you gotta pay more. Such is the "arms race" that is college football I guess.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
While I think it is pretty cool Iowa is getting pretty sweet facilities, kind of makes me worry. As a long time Iowa season ticket holder it makes me wonder when I will be priced out of the market. The more you win, the more you seemingly have to spend. Said coach keeps winning you gotta pay more. Such is the "arms race" that is college football I guess.

That's pretty awesome.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I'm guessing that a very large portion of the money has been raised already. This plan has been on the agenda for quite a while now. And Phase II will likely be another couple years down the road, giving them time to raise money again. Your tickets aren't going to see any big time changes in price.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Do you REALLY think that this is going to be a ton better than what ISU is building? I don't. Same architects, same overall look...at least for the FB facility. Their indoor facility looks similar to the one we've had for 6 years now. Maybe some things that they are going to build will be better than ISU's plans, but not all of it. Not to mention, our FB facility will be done next July while there is "TBD".

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Do you REALLY think that this is going to be a ton better than what ISU is building? I don't. Same architects, same overall look...at least for the FB facility. Their indoor facility looks similar to the one we've had for 6 years now. Maybe some things that they are going to build will be better than ISU's plans, but not all of it. Not to mention, our FB facility will be done next July while there is "TBD".

I stated that it is debatable whether their facilities are going to be better, outside of the weightroom. What I inferred is that if their facilities are considered just as good then ISU holds no advantage, as Iowa's tradition and much larger fanbase will continue to provide the extra advantage, beyond facilities.

And, it was the coaches fball offices that was listed as "TBD". The fb facility is planned to begin this fall according to what I've read.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
ISU losing out to instate kids isn't really all that big of a concern. The hawks have recently stopped heavily recruiting Iowa and gone to a more national strategy.

ISU's biggest battle with UI isn't really recruiting players as much as it is recruiting fans.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
There is nothing better about those facilities as compared to what we are doing for the FTF and already have for an IPF. ISU's advantage is and will continue to be a charismatic head coach that has a passion and drive that is impossible to resist.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Based on those renderings and having been in the current Iowa facilities myself, outside of the indoor facility, I don't see how any of it is really an upgrades. Based on the renderings, the player meeting rooms and offices look about the same of what they have now.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Based on those renderings and having been in the current Iowa facilities myself, outside of the indoor facility, I don't see how any of it is really an upgrades. Based on the renderings, the player meeting rooms and offices look about the same of what they have now.

Right, they'll spend $20-$30 million on the other stuff and end up with nothing better than what they have now.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Right, they'll spend $20-$30 million on the other stuff and end up with nothing better than what they have now.

LOL. Kind of what I thought.

The athletic department isn't going to drop $20M for something they already have.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008

Maybe you should have went into the "bubble" and then with these renderings you would see the huge difference between this indoor facility and the current one.

Also the new weight room will be one of the biggest in the country as well. The new indoor facility and weight room are a majority of the cost, you can't really change the offices and meeting rooms much except for putting it all in one building.

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
The thing of it is, facilities like that really dont give you an edge(unless its like Oregon). You need facilities like this just to stay competitive with the rest of the college football world.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007

Who cares . . they will always have more money. Just beat them year in and out . . and we won't have to worry about who has the best facilities.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Maybe you should have went into the "bubble" and then with these renderings you would see the huge difference between this indoor facility and the current one.

Also the new weight room will be one of the biggest in the country as well. The new indoor facility and weight room are a majority of the cost, you can't really change the offices and meeting rooms much except for putting it all in one building.
Yeah, I've worked out in the bubble. I already said the indoor football facility would be an upgrade, but based on the renderings, the player meeting rooms and football offices don't look any different than what they have now.

Try to keep up.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I stated that it is debatable whether their facilities are going to be better, outside of the weightroom. What I inferred is that if their facilities are considered just as good then ISU holds no advantage, as Iowa's tradition and much larger fanbase will continue to provide the extra advantage, beyond facilities.

And, it was the coaches fball offices that was listed as "TBD". The fb facility is planned to begin this fall according to what I've read.

I guess that I am just not too worried about them. ISU is beating them for recruits NOW. And they have to build to catch up to ISU's facilities NOW.

I'm not buying that having the biggest weightroom is a huge deal. What's ISU have, 8 lift stations, soon to be 12? How many do you really need? 50? ISU has two S&C coaches and 2-3 grad assistants. You make a weightroom that big and players are working without coaches. And if everyone is lifting, where are the spotters? An oversized weightroom may look impressive, but at some point, it's not very practical.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I guess that I am just not too worried about them. ISU is beating them for recruits NOW. And they have to build to catch up to ISU's facilities NOW.

I'm not buying that having the biggest weightroom is a huge deal. What's ISU have, 8 lift stations, soon to be 12? How many do you really need? 50? ISU has two S&C coaches and 2-3 grad assistants. You make a weightroom that big and players are working without coaches. And if everyone is lifting, where are the spotters? An oversized weightroom may look impressive, but at some point, it's not very practical.

Frak, you may be over-thinking this a tad. :smile:

breck53

Aug 29, 2008

ISU is beating Iowa for recruits? Since when????