REPORT: Campbell bringing OC, O-Line coaches with him to ISU

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I suppose you are like Marty and Miller.......and thought we should have went after Brady Hoke.

I never listen to them (man they are awful), but was curious what they had to say about the hire so I went and skimmed their podcast. Can someone that actually listened to the whole show help me out here? Did they really not even mention that we hired a coach today until half of the very last segment? And in that segment instead of actually talking about the hire they blasted Campbell, Pollard, and anything else ISU they could think of. Nothing ISU related was safe.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I would imagine partly because of his solid FL recruiting

And I feel like he has done pretty well with what he has had to work with.. plus would like to keep a coach from the d side on the staff and feel as though he is the best option on that side of the ball

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Shane is overrated IMO. He came from Elon. He coached one player that succeeded in 7 years (mcDonough). The special teams were far from perfect this year - missed field goals, missed extra point, missed onsides kicks, fumbled kick return, blocked ISU punt, kicks out of bounds. We did have decent coverage and some good returns. Recruiting would be a plus. He did a pretty good job there.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I never listen to them (man they are awful), but was curious what they had to say about the hire so I went and skimmed their podcast. Can someone that actually listened to the whole show help me out here? Did they really not even mention that we hired a coach today until half of the very last segment? And in that segment instead of actually talking about the hire they blasted Campbell, Pollard, and anything else ISU they could think of. Nothing ISU related was safe.

Basically they criticized the choice of Matt Campbell. That Campbell was not really a good coach who came from the MAC. Said Iowa State should have gotten a "name" coach. Proceeded to talk about how great Iowa was. Said they thought Iowa was going to win the Big Ten and possibly the national championship.

Meanwhile they completely ignore the fact that Kirk Ferentz came from Maine. And that was a great hire.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I would say unlikely based on the play of our DBs.

Ain't that the damned truth. 15 yard cushion and we still consistently give up 3rd and long. For over a decade I've been begging our corners & DC to grow a pair and bump at the line of scrimmage. Yeah, you gamble and sometimes we'll get beat deep- like we aren't already? Such is life in the Big 12.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This is quite different than how Rhoads staffs were filled out, and frankly that is welcomed despite perhaps the lack of P5 experience or guys proven as recruiters in our usual spots.

One of Rhoads biggest issues was systemic failure likely stemming from how cobbled and disjointed some of his staffs were. This staff is a well oiled machine in comparison, one that should know what they want and how to get there.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
The compairsons to Chizik hiring his buddies is not relvant.

Chizik was a first time HC who brought in a bunch of people who were not qualified fro the job, Wayne freaking Bolt.

Campbell is an established coach who is bringing established assistants. Candle is someone who could have probably gotten an OC job at a number of big schools. I understand that people want to complain but lets see this thing out. Much rather he have a staff he is comfortable with, then a few big names.

Plus if we do find some success these guys are more likely to remain loyal to Campbell should he truly want to be here and stays.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
This is quite different than how Rhoads staffs were filled out, and frankly that is welcomed despite perhaps the lack of P5 experience or guys proven as recruiters in our usual spots.

One of Rhoads biggest issues was systemic failure likely stemming from how cobbled and disjointed some of his staffs were. This staff is a well oiled machine in comparison, one that should know what they want and how to get there.

I think that will be the benefit of hiring a current head coach rather than a coordinator. Jamie was 100% right on that.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I've no problem with CMC bringing his entire or most of his staff over. They will be on the same page from the gitgo and communication will be very good. Stability is a good thing. I always use Jerry Kill, and while Minnesota may not be tearing up the Big Ten they are a far better program after Jerry brought his staff to Mpls.

Running an organization means surrounding yourself with people that you trust and that understand what you are trying to do. Had CPR ended up as a HC at a MAC or AAC school had 6 years to develop a staff and culture he would have been better off for it. Let's face it, a turnaround job is better for someone with a full staff.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I like the Campbell hire and am super excited for him being here. My only concern from the press conference was when a question was asked, something about playing in the rigors of the Big 12 , he said something like well, football is football and we (Toledo) did pretty good when we went into the SEC and beat Arkansas and into the Big 12 [and beat us, although not expressly stated as such! :) ].

Well, no, not all conferences are equal. The Big 12 isn't the MAC.

I couldn't help but think, "yeah, but here at ISU you don't get to play Ball State, Kent State, and 3 directional Michigan schools every year." If we win 6 games regular season games next year, it will be a quite successful season, and 7 wins would be historic and record setting. How will this staff handle it when we go through a rough stretch to powerhouse teams and lose 3 in a row? They've been at or near the top of the MAC and that's all they've ever known... Would a more diverse staff be able to make the game-to-game adjustments?

It's just a concern, I don't have any special insight or anything.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Assistants will come and go, but our offensive system will not. No more starting from 0 each time an o coordinator leaves us.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I like the Campbell hire and am super excited for him being here. My only concern from the press conference was when a question was asked, something about playing in the rigors of the Big 12 , he said something like well, football is football and we (Toledo) did pretty good when we went into the SEC and beat Arkansas and into the Big 12 [and beat us, although not expressly stated as such! :) ].

Well, no, not all conferences are equal. The Big 12 isn't the MAC.

I couldn't help but think, "yeah, but here at ISU you don't get to play Ball State, Kent State, and 3 directional Michigan schools every year." If we win 6 games regular season games next year, it will be a quite successful season, and 7 wins would be historic and record setting. How will this staff handle it when we go through a rough stretch to powerhouse teams and lose 3 in a row? They've been at or near the top of the MAC and that's all they've ever known... Would a more diverse staff be able to make the game-to-game adjustments?

It's just a concern, I don't have any special insight or anything.

Competition is tougher. At the same time Campell's Toledo team was able to go toe to toe with P5 Conference opponents. Campbell has more resources to work with here at Iowa State. I am enthused and optimistic about what he might do.

If his Press Conference is an indicator, Matt Campbell is one helluva recruiter. And I liked what he said that his entire staff will recruit. That you can coach, but you still need the players. And then you need those players to buy in and trust you.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I'm still amazed that people think a staff that has shown they are good game planners will all of the sudden not know what they are doing just because it's the Big 12. Sure the level of athlete will be different but there is nothing in the Big 12 that Campbell and his staff haven't already faced and prepared for.

At the end of the day football is still a game of strategy and maximizing strengths and weaknesses regardless of level.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Competition is tougher. At the same time Campell's Toledo team was able to go toe to toe with P5 Conference opponents. Campbell has more resources to work with here at Iowa State. I am enthused and optimistic about what he might do.

If his Press Conference is an indicator, Matt Campbell is one helluva recruiter. And I liked what he said that his entire staff will recruit. That you can coach, but you still need the players. And then you need those players to buy in and trust you.
I am enthused and optimistic, too. Didn't mean to pee in the cheerios or anything.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
WHen I knew that there was a coaching change, I wanted two things.

A. A coach who could put together a strong run and pass blocking offensive line, and

B. A guy who wouldn't lose a year installing "his" system. I've been following ISU too long, seen too many coaching transitions.

Hopefully these hires address both those issues.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
He got back a few of his good assistants who moved up from Toledo, he's bringing some of his current assistants who are also good and worthy of moving up to P5 as well, and all are a big reason why Campbell himself got this better opportunity. For the positions where he could use a better coach than what he had, he will find someone else.

Sure a couple of the coaches used to be at Toledo, but it's not like he's straight up bringing the whole staff. Just the worthy ones.