REPORT: Prohm tabs Small for his staff

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Katz podcast makes it sound like Otz could definitely be on Prohm's staff. Hope it works that way. Small and Otz could be a heck of a tandem.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
We have had lots of assistant coaches that "know talent." Goal is to hire assistants that can consistently get top talent to sign with us.

Wait, signing talent? Crap, we've been doing this so wrong. Up until now, Iowa State's just been pointing at kids saying "he's got talent" and then heading home.

Man, I hope PrΩ reads the boards so he can get the new strategy memo as well.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@AlexHalsted: Prohm said him and William Small have the southern ties so he's looking for a Midwest guy and someone who can cover JUCO areas.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@TravisHines21: ISU not making announcement regarding Small until university hiring process completes. But Prohm said on ESPN podcast Small was coming

jwrussel

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't know a lot about Chew, other than what I have read on here, but from a geographical standpoint, wouldn't he and Otz have a lot of overlapping territory, and would it be better instead to have more geographical diversity - such as an East coast guy or someone with strong ties to big 12 area?

This could be completely off base, I have no idea.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Coach Small, welcome to Cyclone Nation! We get a bit carried away at times and tend to light our hair on fire but all we honestly want are Cyclone victories. (and a frequent curb stomping of the school to the East)

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I agree that I like to see new coaches bring a guy or two on from their previous staff. Hopefully this guy is his best recruiter. Does anyone have any inside info on this guy at all as to who he has recruited in the past? One thing that is tough with talking about coaches from programs like Murray State is that there isn't exactly a plethora of information on them.

Not offering any new info, but if Coach Small worked for Floyd for a year, it is probably safe to say he learned something about defense, as Floyd did stress that, at least in his college coaching career. Then too, Prohm said he wanted us to play better D.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Not offering any new info, but if Coach Small worked for Floyd for a year, it is probably safe to say he learned something about defense, as Floyd did stress that, at least in his college coaching career. Then too, Prohm said he wanted us to play better D.

I think Prohm has plenty of defensive experience being that his mentor he worked for for 12 years was essentially a defensive coordinater at A&M.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Coach Small, welcome to Cyclone Nation! We get a bit carried away at times and tend to light our hair on fire but all we honestly want are Cyclone victories. (and a frequent curb stomping of the school to the East)

I'm a big fan of frequent curb stomping of all of our opponents.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Small is responsible for bringing Cameron Payne to Murray State.

tumblr_mc7o0e7nvx1qjuyhpo1_500.gif

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Surprised you're so welcoming with your honor before victory opinion as stated in another thread.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
@AlexHalsted: Prohm said him and William Small have the southern ties so he's looking for a Midwest guy and someone who can cover JUCO areas.
This quote definitely points to Isaac Chew if you ask me. Proven midwest recruiter at Marquette, coached at Indian Hills so one would think he has connections there and at JUCOs in general.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think it's Chew or Otz. Both would be great, but I wouldn't count on it. Major homerun if it did though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron