Retirement Targets

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is all so new to me. Didn’t really start making investable money until 2021. Have been putting Monday into the traditional IRA, as well as an individual account getting traded the same way.

Currently 34, 35 in August. Make six figures in a commission based job, and only have rent, and monthly insurance on car as set in stone bills. Car is paid off, student loans paid off, as well. I don’t buy a lot of things except groceries, out to eat every so often, and things like concerts, trips, etc.

I just want to be able to put as much away somewhere as I possibly can while maintaining some liquidity for emergencies but no more than 20,000 I would think. I’ve talked to a lot of friends to see what they do, and none of this makes much sense to me. I don’t want to work longer than I have to, and while the money I am making is very good for my situation I want to be able to start investing for down the road to make not working sooner a possibility.

*forgot to mention we do not have an employer match retirement account. Just started our company 3 years ago and not quite at that point to do so yet.
I'm not a financial advisor so there might be better options. but I use Robinhood. They let you buy partial shares so I invest a little bit each week (can literally set a time to auto buy each week) in Apple, Microsoft and a couple ETFs. I can sell and get the money out in a few days if needed. No fees or anything like that to worry about. It is all money I hope I don't have to touch for a long time so not too worried about ups and downs (also invested in ETFs to reduce risk).

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This is all so new to me. Didn’t really start making investable money until 2021. Have been putting Monday into the traditional IRA, as well as an individual account getting traded the same way.

Currently 34, 35 in August. Make six figures in a commission based job, and only have rent, and monthly insurance on car as set in stone bills. Car is paid off, student loans paid off, as well. I don’t buy a lot of things except groceries, out to eat every so often, and things like concerts, trips, etc.

I just want to be able to put as much away somewhere as I possibly can while maintaining some liquidity for emergencies but no more than 20,000 I would think. I’ve talked to a lot of friends to see what they do, and none of this makes much sense to me. I don’t want to work longer than I have to, and while the money I am making is very good for my situation I want to be able to start investing for down the road to make not working sooner a possibility.

*forgot to mention we do not have an employer match retirement account. Just started our company 3 years ago and not quite at that point to do so yet.
Are you eligible for a Health Spending Account? I am not because my work insurance doesn't meet the guidelines, but many experts recommend using an HSA as an investment vehicle instead of saving for health care expenses. If you have a high deductible insurance, it may be another option for you. Watch some youtube videos on the subject.

CD rates and High Yield Money Market rates are ok right now too if you are looking for options outside the market.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Are you eligible for a Health Spending Account? I am not because my work insurance doesn't meet the guidelines, but many experts recommend using an HSA as an investment vehicle instead of saving for health care expenses. If you have a high deductible insurance, it may be another option for you. Watch some youtube videos on the subject.

CD rates and High Yield Money Market rates are ok right now too if you are looking for options outside the market.
I've had an HSA since I was originally given the option. Up until last year I was lucky enough to only need to use it a couple of times. Since August I've taken about 6k out of it for medical. I still have about 60k in it.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
What is hyper accumulation and pre paid future expenses?
Hyper accumulation is getting into more advanced saving & investing vehicles (like after-tax brokerage accts, real estate, etc) as well as savvy tax planning.

Pre-paid future expenses are like kids' college, weddings, vehicles, etc.

The structure of the FOO really speaks to me for prioritizing in which optimized sequence each level of financial independence should be achieved.
MoneyGuy.com

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I've had an HSA since I was originally given the option. Up until last year I was lucky enough to only need to use it a couple of times. Since August I've taken about 6k out of it for medical. I still have about 60k in it.
I wish I had the option of a HSA. It is my understanding that if you retire before age 65 and you aren’t yet eligible for Medicare, you can use money in your HSA to pay your medical coverage premiums.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I wish I had the option of a HSA. It is my understanding that if you retire before age 65 and you aren’t yet eligible for Medicare, you can use money in your HSA to pay your medical coverage premiums.
They have some strange rules around HSAs. I do know that you can use it to reimburse yourself for you Medicare part B payments. But you can't use it for your part B supplemental insurance.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Everyone has very different ideas of how to invest as it’s a very personal thing based on a number of factors including risk plus the psychological element as well.

Wanted to explain what myself and many of my friends do (including those in finance) as we are a similar age and while investing younger is always better your mid 30’s aren’t horrible to start as you have the power of time. Because of this I personally wouldn’t have 20K in an emergency fund. I would have a much smaller amount, around 2 months expenses, in an emergency fund and the rest I would be investing in the market.

A lot of factors play a role into this and having a commission job might require more but did into what would happen if you were let go. What kind of severance do you get? Do you get paid for remaining vacation days? How long would insurance be covered? That kind of thing. Having 2 months available allows you time to move other assets when you need and asses your situation without kneecapping your gains.

Again, everyone has a different risk and also the field you are in (how easy can you find another job) play a big factor as well.

As far as the basic investing goes, if you don’t know what to do just go for an S&P 500 index fund ETF, I use vanguard personally but feel free to look around. It’s just the simplest way to make money that constantly beats out most managed funds. Easy to get on any platform and is an invest and forget it strategy. You can set aside some other funds for other areas but that’s probably where most of your money should be going.

Reactions: cjclone

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Hyper accumulation is getting into more advanced saving & investing vehicles (like after-tax brokerage accts, real estate, etc) as well as savvy tax planning.

Pre-paid future expenses are like kids' college, weddings, vehicles, etc.

The structure of the FOO really speaks to me for prioritizing in which optimized sequence each level of financial independence should be achieved.
MoneyGuy.com

The Moneyguy show is awesome. It's like Dave Ramsey, but for people who aren't idiots.

Not that Ramsey followers are idiots, but if you're out of debt or understand basic budgeting, the Money Guy Show is probably more your speed.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
This is correct. In most policies, u have a fixed rate, as long as u are current, that u can borrow from the life insurance company at a low fixed rate. The Company will then take your cash value as collateral.
A policyholder should have a plan to pay back the loan from the policy's cash value.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The Moneyguy show is awesome. It's like Dave Ramsey, but for people who aren't idiots.

Not that Ramsey followers are idiots, but if you're out of debt or understand basic budgeting, the Money Guy Show is probably more your speed.
People who blindly follow Ramsey are idiots, some of the advice is solid but a lot of it is absolute trash

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
A policyholder should have a plan to pay back the loan from the policy's cash value.
Sure you can. If the prevailing car loan rate is 8 or 9% and you can borrow from yourself at 5%, then borrow from yourself at 5%.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
750px-Prioritizing_investments.svg.png
This is the correct answer +1 gold star.
Adding: For a fairly long time horizon - S&P 500 is generally the correct investment choice too.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Where do you all keep your emergency fund. I've looked into hysa, but using a vanguard money market settlement fund or similar seems popular too.

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Retired at 60 with 1.8M I have a great pension, HSA, an income annuity and SS. won’t have to touch my IRAs for many years. I always wanted to RV travel and lucky to do it now while I am healthy.
Pensions especially insurance coverage are wonderful
My wife retired then went back to work as contracted labor for US Gov after working in private sector for a defense contractor