Retirement Targets

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Where do you all keep your emergency fund. I've looked into hysa, but using a vanguard money market settlement fund or similar seems popular too.
I use MaxMyInterest.com which provides a competitive rate HYSA among online banks for full liquidity and FDIC protection. Currently yielding nearly 5.4%

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Not a financial advisor but to keep this very simple, this is what I'd recommend:

Put your emergency funds in an Ally Savings account (or another high yield savings account that doesn't charge fees).
I'd say 3-6 months of expenses is adequate, but obviously whatever makes you comfortable.
Think about if you lost your job today, how long would it take to find another job that would cover your bills and keep that amount.

Continue maxing out your traditional IRA - Invest in VTI (or another total stock index ETF with very low fees. VTI is a vanguard fund with an expense ratio of 0.05%)

I'm not opposed to a Roth IRA, but in my opinion you should be looking for tax deferment now and I'd prefer the traditional IRA in your situation.

Do you have the ability to open a Heath Savings Account? My employer offers this with our high deductible medical plan, but sounds like you are at a smaller company that may not offer this.
This is one of the best retirement vehicles to avoid taxes as the money in is tax free, it grows tax free and as long as you withdraw for eligible medical expenses, the money coming out is tax free.

Brokerage account for your remaining savings. Again I'd recommend simply buying VTI shares each month. Don't worry about the price per share, just put money in the account and buy on the first or last day of the month.
This is an easy set it and forget it investing strategy.

Beyond these, my opinion is your next step is to reduce your tax liability.
I'll guess you're paying somewhere around $30K in federal taxes and it sounds like you're already maxing out the deductions you have available to you.

Do you have any interest in owning a rental property?
One option would be to buy a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other.
Or simply buy an existing rental property.
This is a good way to take advantage of the depreciation on your taxes.

You could pay a CPA ~$500/year to do your taxes and ask them for tax advice too.
It may never be an issue…wouldn’t be if you never sold at a loss…but I would like to point out that if you are buying VTI or similar in both your retirement accounts and the taxable account, you’re in a wash sale situation if you opt to sell taxable account shares for a loss. Probably only a few shares though (whatever you bought in the same account in the 61 day window around that sale).

• Informative
Reactions: DSMCy

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
They are great. Brian is a CPA and financial advisor, which seems ideal. Kind of eliminates the concern I have about wasting money on someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing (which candidly seems to be a majority of financial advisors).

Speaking of, working with/choosing an advisor is so hard. When you don’t know what you are doing, you only find the ones who are desperate for clients (or get assigned the new guy), and then by the time you figure things out, you’re mad that you’ve made all these dumb decisions and don’t want to deal with an advisor anymore. That’s my experience anyway. The first stock recommendation I ever got was muni bonds when I was like 26 and had very little money. Oy…what a stupid recommendation…

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
So, I’ve just opened a vanguard account. I have been seeing varying investing strategies on here since I posted. Are ETFs a good option?

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Where do you all keep your emergency fund. I've looked into hysa, but using a vanguard money market settlement fund or similar seems popular too.

bitcoin - i have no interest in holding something with exponential decay in any amount beyond my monthly bills.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So, I’ve just opened a vanguard account. I have been seeing varying investing strategies on here since I posted. Are ETFs a good option?

Yes. Vanguard funds are low cost.

I have VTI (total market), VOO (S&P 500) as core investments in my taxable account. QQQ has also been a nice earner

I was running numbers today. To illustrate the power of the time value of money

Since 2017 my accounts are up 442%. One fund I bought around 2000 is up roughly 900%

I had nothing to do with those returns other than committing to investing and leaving it alone.

It doesn't need to be complex. Commit to investing. Leave it. Don't look at the balance when the market takes a dump (and it will).

(Not an investment professional!)

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Yes. Vanguard funds are low cost.

I have VTI (total market), VOO (S&P 500) as core investments in my taxable account. QQQ has also been a nice earner

I was running numbers today. To illustrate the power of the time value of money

Since 2017 my accounts are up 442%. One fund I bought around 2000 is up roughly 900%

I had nothing to do with those returns other than committing to investing and leaving it alone.

It doesn't need to be complex. Commit to investing. Leave it. Don't look at the balance when the market takes a dump (and it will).

(Not an investment professional!)
When the market takes a dump, it generally the best time to buy some more. It works.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
When the market takes a dump, it generally the best time to buy some more. It works.

100% correct. Keeping some "dry powder" around isn't an awful idea.

If you have a long horizon buying those dips and corrections can pay off.

Just don't get jittery. Don't sell and take the loss if you don't need the bread. This is especially true if you are in a broad market ETF. The market will come back.

That account I referred to above is actually a 10x return now. At one point it was down almost 50%. If I sold I'd have lost out.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I may think differently in a few years, but I think just saving somewhere is the most important piece. Each time I think I have it all figured out, something else is brought up that changes my mind. ASA pre-retirement discounts, future tax changes, irmaa, roth conversions, RMD's, age taking social security for both myself and wife, when my wife and I will die, where I'll live and the state income taxes, etc.

About 30% of my retirement money is in Roth vehicles. I've been told this is genius and I've also been told that it's 100% idiotic. I don't believe "Never" is the right answer. The people that say never don't know my situation and can't predict the future.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Mega Back Door Roth if your company offers it.

Gotta be a decently high earner to even start considering it though.

Generally you have to have maxed out your regular 401k ($23K) before you can utilize the after tax option for a mega back door. So yes, a higher earner.

If you’re still in the range to contribute to a Roth that’s much more straightforward.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I'm 32, wife is 30. One kid (4) and second on the way this fall. I've not spent much time at all to be extremely knowledgeable in the investing world, so we've kept it simple with some input from an advisor who manages a few accounts for us (roth IRAs and some old employer 401k/403b accounts that we rolled over into traditional IRAs).
  • No debts outside of mortgage
  • Both maxed out 401k contributions (all Roth now)
  • Contribute full state tax deductible amount to 529 plan for kid
  • Contributed max to Roth IRA annually until we passed the income limits
  • Next up is sorting out what to do around backdoor/mega backdoor roth
I'm sure the costs of two little ones will hold us steady in this state for a few years, but then onto getting some money into taxable accounts (either learning on my own, or using our advisor). It's very hands off and simple for us and don't watch the market constantly.

Our income situation obviously helps, but the biggest thing for us was starting straight out of college contributing really significantly to employer retirement plans. Like every college kid, I was dead broke when I graduated and started my first job. I started contributing 10% to 401k immediately and but when you start out like that, you never miss the money. Then every raise over the years I would up the contribution percentage by half of the raise (4% raise, increase contribution by 2%) until I was maxed out. Again, never missed the money because I never saw that "new" salary. I just saw the small increase that ulimately came through. Probably "better" ways to do it, but for simplicity sake it was a great way to get a jump start on things.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm 32, wife is 30. One kid (4) and second on the way this fall. I've not spent much time at all to be extremely knowledgeable in the investing world, so we've kept it simple with some input from an advisor who manages a few accounts for us (roth IRAs and some old employer 401k/403b accounts that we rolled over into traditional IRAs).
  • No debts outside of mortgage
  • Both maxed out 401k contributions (all Roth now)
  • Contribute full state tax deductible amount to 529 plan for kid
  • Contributed max to Roth IRA annually until we passed the income limits
  • Next up is sorting out what to do around backdoor/mega backdoor roth
I'm sure the costs of two little ones will hold us steady in this state for a few years, but then onto getting some money into taxable accounts (either learning on my own, or using our advisor). It's very hands off and simple for us and don't watch the market constantly.

Our income situation obviously helps, but the biggest thing for us was starting straight out of college contributing really significantly to employer retirement plans. Like every college kid, I was dead broke when I graduated and started my first job. I started contributing 10% to 401k immediately and but when you start out like that, you never miss the money. Then every raise over the years I would up the contribution percentage by half of the raise (4% raise, increase contribution by 2%) until I was maxed out. Again, never missed the money because I never saw that "new" salary. I just saw the small increase that ulimately came through. Probably "better" ways to do it, but for simplicity sake it was a great way to get a jump start on things.
Just a reminder, you and your wife can contribute individually to 529s.

• Winner
Reactions: Dopey and cyfan92

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Just a reminder, you and your wife can contribute individually to 529s.
Indeed. Also, the new 529 to Roth IRA roll-over rules make the idea of a 529 more palatable as well. Who knows what college will cost in 15 years, or if our kids will even go to college, but if there is money left in those accounts it will feel really good to be able to roll up to $35k into Roth-IRA for them and kick start their own savings journey.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I may think differently in a few years, but I think just saving somewhere is the most important piece. Each time I think I have it all figured out, something else is brought up that changes my mind. ASA pre-retirement discounts, future tax changes, irmaa, roth conversions, RMD's, age taking social security for both myself and wife, when my wife and I will die, where I'll live and the state income taxes, etc.

About 30% of my retirement money is in Roth vehicles. I've been told this is genius and I've also been told that it's 100% idiotic. I don't believe "Never" is the right answer. The people that say never don't know my situation and can't predict the future.

A hybrid Roth-Traditional strategy could help with taxes in the long run. It can also be a plan for future inheritance distributions.

I'm roughly 52% traditional. But the wildcard will always be future tax brackets.

We have an advisor through work. He was concerned about my aggressive style. 100% equities. After explaining that I'm buying shares on the dip and that I have a high risk tolerance he was cool with it.

Same with the hybrid traditional-roth. Who knows what things will look like. The important thing is committing to investing. Staying the course.

Just my humble opinion. It's OK to take some risks, but make sure to do something