Right after seeing "Dr. Death" I need spinal surgery

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Nerve compression at C6. Please, someone tell me it's going to be OK!

Doctors here seem very good so I'm actually not that worried. Would be interested in hearing experiences from others, though.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
My best advice is if you have any doctor friends ask who they would go to...

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha

Doctors here seem very good so I'm actually not that worried. Would be interested in hearing experiences from others, though.
Have you asked your doctors what the chances for a positive outcome from surgery are and what success would look like? Also ask what the odds are for a negative outcome from surgery and what that would look like.

From talking to people the general consensus I hear are back surgery helps about 1/3rd of people, does nothing for the next 1/3rd and actually makes things worse for tge bottom 1/3rd.

I decided to try physical therapy before attempting surgery. After about a month of physical therapy the disk pinching my nerves realigned and my back muscles were strong enough to keep them properly aligned.

I skipped the surgery. I now do Tai Chi on a regular basis to keep everything aligned and back muscles strong. I have a back brace if im going to be doing some heavy lifting or strenuous work. I also us a tens unit instead of meds when my back starts to spasm.

I have a friend from high school that went the surgery route and made things worse for him.

Good luck. Ask questions and definitely get a second opinion.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've seen this injury on an old episode of ER. Yur gunna dye

But I also saw it on an episode of House. It'll be spotty there for a while and it may seem like you're going to die, but they'll figure it out and you'll be out of the hospital before the hour is up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Have you asked your doctors what the chances for a positive outcome from surgery are and what success would look like? Also ask what the odds are for a negative outcome from surgery and what that would look like.

From talking to people the general consensus I hear are back surgery helps about 1/3rd of people, does nothing for the next 1/3rd and actually makes things worse for tge bottom 1/3rd.

I decided to try physical therapy before attempting surgery. After about a month of physical therapy the disk pinching my nerves realigned and my back muscles were strong enough to keep them properly aligned.

I skipped the surgery. I now do Tai Chi on a regular basis to keep everything aligned and back muscles strong. I have a back brace if im going to be doing some heavy lifting or strenuous work. I also us a tens unit instead of meds when my back starts to spasm.

I have a friend from high school that went the surgery route and made things worse for him.

Good luck. Ask questions and definitely get a second opinion.

More folks should do Yoga/Thai Chi etc. and have nothing to do with the mindfulness or whatever, but get everything lined up.

More for the argument against chiropractics though.

Reactions: DarkStar

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009

I had surgery on my L5/S1 at the age of 21. I couldn’t tie my shoes most mornings because I couldn’t bend over without spasms. It would take until noon before I could walk halfway normal even with physical therapy and two epidural shots within 3 months.

Had the surgery, I stood up and had full range of motion and no pain like it never existed when I woke up.

I’m guessing you are older than 21 so that will have an effect on how your body handles it but that was my experience.

Definitely take the advice seriously about not lifting much of anything. Then start doing Yoga of some kind. Good luck

Reactions: khardbored

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I had surgery for a ruptured disc about 23 years ago. Damn near good as new (comparatively) after it. Still able to do about everything I did before, but usually pay for it for a short period. Keep your abs in shape. That's half the battle.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyismymonkey

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Had a C5-C7 fusion surgery in 2011 for a compression fracture. Felt much better after the surgery but my surgeon broke a screw which catches at times and gives me some discomfort. All in all I was happy with the results. Can feel my hands again

Reactions: BoxsterCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I had surgery for a ruptured disc about 23 years ago. Damn near good as new (comparatively) after it. Still able to do about everything I did before, but usually pay for it for a short period. Keep your abs in shape. That's half the battle.

The last several years has been proof for myself how vital the core is along with the hips and glutes. And it doesn't have to be 6 pack totally cut style.

Side planks, bicycle kicks and clams with a resistance band can do wonders.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Second hand advice here, but look into a place that does a lot of spinal surgeries. I believe Walmart (of all places) has their insurance setup to allow for sending people to specialty surgerical centers and their positive outcome rate is substantially higher than average.

I'll also second the idea that you should investigate PT as an option.

• Dumb
Reactions: yowza

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The last several years has been proof for myself how vital the core is along with the hips and glutes. And it doesn't have to be 6 pack totally cut style.

Side planks, bicycle kicks and clams with a resistance band can do wonders.

Yeah, my golf game went all to hell a couple years ago due to me not keeping that up, but bounced back after getting back in shape. Starting to head downhill late this summer, so I need to get back at it over the winter.