RIP Franco Harris

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I was behind Franco in a line at the Atlanta airport 10ish years or so ago. I was amazed at how big and broad he was. Obviously today's running backs are monsters. But I was thinking what a load that guy must have been carrying the ball in the mid-70s. RIP.

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
One of the best and a childhood hero from the 70s. Sad day.

My wife was fortunate enough to be Franco’s “cart girl” in the late 80’s in a celebrity golf outing in Youngstown. I remember her coming home and talking about what a gentleman he was and how massive he was. Was with him for the entire round. Surprised she ever came home

Reactions: CycloneVet

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It looks to me like it bounced, but I can't overturn it without conclusive video evidence.
Do we want to know the truth? We can't handle the truth! LOL

What is interesting to me, was that it was an AFC divisional playoff game, Dec., 1972. I had always attached that play, that Steeler victory, to one of their Super Bowl wins. Not so fast!

In Jan., 1973, the "undefeated' Dolphins won the Super Bowl! It wasn't until Jan., 1975 (the '74-75 season), two years later, that the Steelers won their first Super Bowl.

End history lesson.

Gundog73

Mar 25, 2020
One of the best and a childhood hero from the 70s. Sad day.

Definitely my hero growing up also. I would sit and stare at his poster in my room for hours dreaming of being a Steeler when I grew up. Too bad my athleticism got in the way lol!

Reactions: TXCyclones

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A heavy heart. That play is one of my early football memories.

As a Cowboy fan since their loss to the Colts in the Super Bowl- those 70's Steelers teams were as tough as they come

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron