RIP Olivia Newton-John

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
She sold over 100 million records. That surprised me a little bit.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
What's funny is basically that entire cast of Grease were wayyyyyyy older than high schoolers in real life. Which isn't too shocking but knowing both Olivia Newton-John was 29 and Stockard Channing was 33 when they filmed it makes me laugh. Dina Manoff (Marty) was the only Pink Lady close to high school age (19).

Dina Manoff was one that caught my eye as a little kid watching Grease...she was hot! But who could watch that film and not walk away without crushing hard on Sandra Dee??!!

• Agree
Reactions: CYCL0NE1

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
People also forget that Newton-John was huge on the country charts in the 70s as well. So big, in fact, that she won the CMA Female Vocalist of the Year trophy in 1974, beating out Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Anne Murray, and Tanya Tucker. Then "Grease" happened (giving her a final top 20 country hit in 'Hopelessly Devoted To You') and she was strictly a pop princess from that point.

My favorite song of hers was her final top 10 pop hit, 'Twist Of Fate' in 1983. But I love almost everything she recorded, so it's hard to pick beyond that single.

Last edited:

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I had a crush on her as well. Got to see her in concert in Ames but I happened to be in the hospital in Greeley at the time dealing with cancer/major surgery. They let me go to the concert but I had to leave the needle portion of the IV in my hand which probably wasn't the best decision on their part. That didn't go well once I got back to the hospital later that night.

edit: forgot to mention when Olivia sang "Physical" at Hilton, she came out in an Iowa State tank top. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I had a crush on her as well. Got to see her in concert in Ames but I happened to be in the hospital in Greeley at the time dealing with cancer/major surgery. They let me go to the concert but I had to leave the needle portion of the IV in my hand which probably wasn't the best decision on their part. That didn't go well once I got back to the hospital later that night.
But, wow, you're still around to talk about it. Congratulations. That's a long time ago.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Thanks! Many thanks to the doctors at Greeley at that time which allows me to be here today. I'm about to go with round 2 of a different type of cancer.

Back to Olivia though, gonna miss that one! I'm not a musical fan but I bet I've watched Grease more times than I can count for that black leather scene.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Was looking up Olivia's Wikipedia page for Awards and Honors. She won way more stuff than I even remembered or knew about. Here is a partial list of wins:

1. TEN American Music Awards from 1974 to 1982, including 1974's Favorite Country Album, Favorite Country Female, Favorite Pop/Rock Female, and Favorite Pop/Rock single for "Have You Never Been Mellow"
  2. NINE Billboard Awards from 1974 to 1998, including 1982's Top Pop Single for "Physical" which was number one for ten weeks, the longest running #1 song of the 80s on Billboard's Hot 100.
  3. FOUR Grammy Awards from 1973 to 1982, including Best Country Female Vocal Performance for "Let Me Be There" in 1973 and Record of the Year for "I Honestly Love You in 1974.
  4. FOUR People's Choice Awards from 1975 to 1979, including Favorite Female Musical Performer in 1975, 1977, and 1979.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
RIP Olivia! Grease came out in 1978, and I graduated in 1979. Just like the rest of you I had a major crush on her! My dad listened to her music in the 70's, so I had heard her sing quite a bit. Grease is my favorite all-time movie, and yes I did see her when she came to Ames in the 80's!