~ RJ Sumrall Wants You! ~

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Folks, a long story short.
I ran into the good man this afternoon. It was sort of rather funny actually how I found him. And before we go any further, yes! he gave me permission to talk about our meeting and disclose his place of employment here on CF.

Mr. RJ Sumrall is without a doubt, the nicest young man I have ever met in my life! An incredible personality & character that rivals the mannerism of a Priest! He works at "Helzberg's Diamonds" up at Merle Hay Mall, where he is the assistant manager.

I walked right up to one of the glass cases (that was holding about $72 gazillion in jewelry) and he immediately spoke up and said, "I'll be right with you in a short moment sir." ...with some of the other employees casually gathering around, I began to pull out my 2010 Iowa State Football Calendar, with RJ right on the cover. The other employees had a brief look of confusion on their faces, as I set it on one of the glass cases. Casually RJ came walking over from a short distance looking at the Calendar I had just set down. He slowly grew a smile on his face, like an old joke told by a friend.... and that's when I asked him if I may please have his autograph. Without hesitation, he took the sharpie® and very humbly signed the cover. He thanked me, and I thanked him ...but before he handed me back the pen, I asked if he wouldn't mind signing the 2 more places in the calendar with his likeness on 'em. Again, no problem. The other employees were just looking at each other with confused smiles on their faces. Naturally we talked about the other players, and Big 12 football, and how he missed it. Said if the team goes down to Missouri "totally focused" they should win that game. Talked about his past coaches, and the current one. He agrees this is one of the most incredible football staffs that has ever been assembled by ISU. I told him our good buddy Chris Williams might be interested in doing a V-blog with him from the store, and he was rather excited about that! "anything for the stores publicity and sales" (That's between RJ and Chris now) All in all I had a great conversation with one of our most talented WR the university has ever had. Please don't argue any of this folks. Just go see the man and say hi... Thank him for his dedication to the university... tell him we recall his efforts on the field very fondly... bring in a calendar or anything & ask for an autograph... and if you are thinking of something for your sweetie for Christmas, he says he will gladly hook you up! Asked if there was anything he'd like me to share with the rest of the Cyclone community? He said tell them, "God Bless and hopes everyone will have a happy holiday season. Who doesn't love to be remembered, I'll certainly never forget him. Thanks for your time RJ, and as always GO CYCLONES!

Last edited:

cyinthesky

Dec 12, 2006
Absolutely the best thread I've read all week. Yeah, I'll go see him, I need to buy my wife her traditional necklace I get her every year anyway. And they do have some awesome stuff up there!
+1 Brian

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
After RJ caught the TD pass in Manhattan as time expired, we stayed in our seats for quite a few minutes and took in the feelings and sense of optimism in the air concerning the next season. Lots of what ifs that night in my mind, and big dreams for the 2009 season.

Then I hit the bathroom on the way out and some random cyclone fan next to me washing his hands (in the sink, not the urinal) tore the program a new one...mentioning it in the same breath as the Walden years. Old buzzkill so and so.

It was guys like RJ who carried the torch and our hopes on his back and unfortunately didn't get to reap the benefits of even sniffing a bowl game. Good to hear hes doing well, and still close by the program.

We've got a special class of guys here who've been through so much and really deserve a bowl game before they graduate next spring. Wish RJ could have been part of that.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
After RJ caught the TD pass in Manhattan as time expired, we stayed in our seats for quite a few minutes and took in the feelings and sense of optimism in the air concerning the next season. Lots of what ifs that night in my mind, and big dreams for the 2009 season.

Then I hit the bathroom on the way out and some random cyclone fan next to me washing his hands (in the sink, not the urinal) tore the program a new one...mentioning it in the same breath as the Walden years. Old buzzkill so and so.

It was guys like RJ who carried the torch and our hopes on his back and unfortunately didn't get to reap the benefits of even sniffing a bowl game. Good to hear hes doing well, and still close by the program.

We've got a special class of guys here who've been through so much and really deserve a bowl game before they graduate next spring. Wish RJ could have been part of that.

Well said!

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
Thanks for sharing this. I'll be stopping by and thanking him for great memories and for keeping my Cyclone pride alive.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Funny story that I might add as well.

During the Iowa - Iowa State fball week, our business complex puts on a big showing. Well as it turns out RJ's girlfriend/fiance apparently works in the same complex. As I went outside to check out the festivities I saw a blond women wearing a jersey with the #5 and a name on the back - you know the one's family and friends can get. I asked myself, well that's an odd thing to see. I couldn't make out who it was right away, but quickly concluded that it was indeed Sumrall's jersey and the moment I did that, up stands a tall black guy. I was walking with another individual and said to him (as he's and Iowa fan) that I wonder if that is really him. As we proceeded to get closer it assured myself that it was. The gentleman and I turned the corner of the courtyard and here approaches RJ himself. Of course I'm decked out in Iowa State gear for that day (hat, shorts, jersey, socks) and he looked right at me. We both turned back and got to have a nice chat with RJ as well. I actually invited him up to say hello to everyone but he declined as he needed to get to work - thus I also found out where he works.

Not the place you find a guy, but it was a great opportunity to just have a very casual conversation with a former/current player and not have to necessary tackle them to even get their attention.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I always thought Austin Flynn was one of the great guys to put on an ISU uniform. He did everything that was asked of him for the team from day one but never really got to enjoy great team success as a player.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

RJ did play in the Houston Bowl in 2005.