Rocky Mountain National Park - Hiking

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The walk around Bear Lake would be pretty stroller friendly. Mostly asphalt, If IRRC.
Same with Sprague Lake on the drive up to Bear Lake. Nice little fishing lake with an easy trail around it, plus it has nice picnic areas.

Both of those lakes have spectacular views of the mountains!

and I should clarify we have an "off road" stroller so it can handle some rough terrain. I'd say if you would trail run it, we'd stroller it.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
he hates the carrier, always has. We'd lose our sanity letting him walk them on his own. Good to know though. Probably a terrible idea to do a 9 hour road trip at this age anyway.

I am sitting here calculating how you are getting from Madison to Estes in 9 hours when it is 12 from CR...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Also suggest Ouzel falls. Did that with our kids when they were in 2nd and 4th grade. Did gem lake, whatever it's called where you go to the pretty good sized lake well past Alberta Falls (The loch maybe?). Also finished that trip with a hike to cub lake, which ended with us watching a Moose with her two calves splashing around in the lake.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
he hates the carrier, always has. We'd lose our sanity letting him walk them on his own. Good to know though. Probably a terrible idea to do a 9 hour road trip at this age anyway.
This. This trip will be the first one where I don’t have a mule a damn kid up a mountain because the little is too big finally for one. I will not miss the people on the trail with the “aww that’s so cute! You having fun there little guy??” Then they want us to stop and have a small chat. Meanwhile his dad is sweating his balls off with burning legs wondering if he’s to big to be trout bait. “No *****. His amount of fun does not matter right now. Now get the hell out of the way so I don’t have to stop and start again or your going off this cliff.” Yes I realize this is a strong take. But if you’ve been there, you know.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Headed out to a cabin in Estes Park next month with a small group. I’ve done a lot of hikes in the park but am looking for some new ones to try. I’ve done Twin Sisters, Hallets via Flattop, Chasm Lake, Sky Pond, Emerald Lake. Thinking about doing Ypsilon but sounds like that’s dependent on Old Fall River Rd being open. Would love to do Longs but it always seems like there’s ice/snow up there when I’m out there and I’m not a technical guy. Will be with young kids so any smaller kid friendly hikes would be welcome as well. TIA

If you end up doing Ypsilon, take an opportunity to catch Chapin and Chiquita on the way. C-C-Y (as we called it when I worked at YMCA of the Rockies) was a great hike and not impossible to do three peaks in one. I always enjoy Lily Mountain when I've done it with family, with the trailhead off of Hwy. 7. Back to bigger hikes, Mt. Lady Washington gets you a great view of the East Face of Longs from the summit. Also, if you want to get a flavor of Longs but it's not yet peak season, you could hike to the boulder field or keyhole. Have fun!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you end up doing Ypsilon, take an opportunity to catch Chapin and Chiquita on the way. C-C-Y (as we called it when I worked at YMCA of the Rockies) was a great hike and not impossible to do three peaks in one. I always enjoy Lily Mountain when I've done it with family, with the trailhead off of Hwy. 7. Back to bigger hikes, Mt. Lady Washington gets you a great view of the East Face of Longs from the summit. Also, if you want to get a flavor of Longs but it's not yet peak season, you could hike to the boulder field or keyhole. Have fun!
Yes I was thinking the CCY. I got halfway up Lady Washington on one of my times up to Chasm but some park ranger with a couple llamas yelled at me and said to get below the tree line because it’s going to storm. He was right.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I am sitting here calculating how you are getting from Madison to Estes in 9 hours when it is 12 from CR...

Bad guess. and oh God it's that far, maybe not then. I should have known, I've done that drive before but stopped in Ames for the night.

Reactions: wxman1

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Has anyone one here done Pear Lake or Bluebird lake? I think you get there from Wild Basin TH. One of them you just go to ouzel falls and then keep going. They look intriguing to me.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
Perfect timing on this. I'll be taking my fam to Estes Park in less than a month. Was looking for the same thing. Say hello to those with Clone license plates. :)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Took us about 11:30 from SE Iowa, we took 80 out and then headed up to Cheyanne on the way out, MapQuest says its further, but a better road. On the way back took Colo. #34 over to the interstate 76. I felt that way was longer with more stop lights than the Cheyanne way.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Took us about 11:30 from SE Iowa, we took 80 out and then headed up to Cheyanne on the way out, MapQuest says its further, but a better road. On the way back took Colo. #34 over to the interstate 76. I felt that way was longer with more stop lights than the Cheyanne way.
I’ve done both. I feel like the latter is faster. You can go like 70 on that road because nothing is out there but cattle.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Headed out to a cabin in Estes Park next month with a small group. I’ve done a lot of hikes in the park but am looking for some new ones to try. I’ve done Twin Sisters, Hallets via Flattop, Chasm Lake, Sky Pond, Emerald Lake. Thinking about doing Ypsilon but sounds like that’s dependent on Old Fall River Rd being open. Would love to do Longs but it always seems like there’s ice/snow up there when I’m out there and I’m not a technical guy. Will be with young kids so any smaller kid friendly hikes would be welcome as well. TIA

Late July should have the Keyhole Route free of snow on Long's. It's not really technical (some spooky spots for sure), just more of a slog.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Estes Park is my favorite vacation place I've found so far.

I love RMNP, but Estes might be one of my least favorite CO mountain towns. It just seems more fake toursity, I guess. Kind of a weird layout, too. I like Breck, Dillon, Idaho Springs, Lake City, Salida/Buena Vista all more than Estes.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I’ve done both. I feel like the latter is faster. You can go like 70 on that road because nothing is out there but cattle.

We were driving a lot faster than 70 mph all the way out, I think I set the cruise at 80 on the way out, and we followed my oldest son on the way back, he has one of those fancy radar detectors and we were pushing 85 to 90 most of the way.

Once you get past Lincoln there is nothing there but open interstate.

Reactions: JM4CY

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

I like Highway 14 heading west out of Sterling, drive thru the Pawnee National Grasslands and not many stops, then drop down I-35 to Hwy 34 to Estes.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I love RMNP, but Estes might be one of my least favorite CO mountain towns. It just seems more fake toursity, I guess. Kind of a weird layout, too. I like Breck, Dillon, Idaho Springs, Lake City, Salida/Buena Vista all more than Estes.
Meh I travel for work. Cities and towns are a dime a dozen. Estes isn't far from Denver and the view is amazing.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

As a kid, my family rented a cabin for a week each summer in Estes through most of the 80s. It was a nice quaint little town back then. In the 90s, more people discovered it, plus when they rebuilt after the floods, I think they really ramped up the tourist attraction element.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We were driving a lot faster than 70 mph all the way out, I think I set the cruise at 80 on the way out, and we followed my oldest son on the way back, he has one of those fancy radar detectors and we were pushing 85 to 90 most of the way.

Once you get past Lincoln there is nothing there but open interstate.

there's a lot of Nebraska and none of it enjoyable.

Help Support Us

Become a patron