MLB: Ronnie Woo

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
This is a bit of an off-topic sports thread, but my parents recently went to a Cubs spring training game on Thursday in Arizona, and sat next to a guy who would randomly start chanting "Cubs" with "WOO" alternating. One of the ushers finally had to come over and say "Alright, alright Ronnie, if you keep that up we're gonna have to kick you out" with a laugh. They soon found out that his name was "Ronnie Woo", and judging by the surrounding fans' reactions, he was well known and well received.

I consider our family to be casual Cubs fans, so we don't know any of the deep, traditional lore surrounding the program... and I was wondering if any of the other Cubs fans on the board could enlighten me to what his backstory is?

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Doesn't he do that at every home Cub's game? I think sometime when you are watching them on TV, you can hear him in the background. I belive I've heard him on TV before and heard the announcers talk about him.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
He was there last year when my wife and I went to Cubs spring training. I think he does it around the stadium in Chicago too. He's pretty well liked I believe. It didn't really bother me.

IIRC, he goes by "Ronnie Woo Woo" rather than "Ronnie Woo."

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Ronnie Woo Woo has been around for many years, dating back to at least the 90s. We was known for shouting "Cubbies Woo! Sandberg Woo! Santo Woo! Dunston Woo! You name it, he chanted it. He's tried to make a living at it actually.

Ronnie "Woo Woo" Wickers Website

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Was at John Barleycorns last year for the home opener weekend. After the game Ronnie Woo Woo was there for three hours, never bought a drink on his own. I think that guy lives on freebies...

Lenny25

Jan 2, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
I first encountered Ronnie Woo, Woo in 1979 at Wrigley when I was there with my dad. He had a huge fro and was rolling with "Wille, woo,...Willie woo, Willie woo,...Willie woo. (Willie Hernandez) True Cub fans can feel the cadence. I still see him every spring training. He has been on the Cubs payroll for at least 20 years.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
As a Cubs fan I would love to see him banned from doing that. It's so annoying I can't even put it into words.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Ronnie will ride around Wrigley on his bike when there isn't even a game being played yelling "Woo". He has been an icon for decades in Wrigleyville.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Wow, I guess that I had no idea that this guy was an issue. I have been to several games at Wrigley and have never heard the man.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
He's awesome - an icon and a part of the atmosphere at Wrigley. I can't believe Cub fans don't like him. Yeah, it's just one thing - but he's never in one section long, and he's a character. He was a homeless man that started doing this and it caught on, and now Wrigley keeps him employed during the season and such. It's a great story, IMO.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
I've seen (& heard) this Woo guy a few times at Wrigley. He reminds me of that Smiley guy? You know, that guy you always used to see waving and pointing whenever you'd go downtown Des Moines on a summer night. Does anyone here know who I'm talking about?

Last edited:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Sorry but I soured on him when he was in the right field bleachers for like 4 innings one time and just kept yelling the entire time. It was horribly annoying and it just seems like a stupid gimmick. Good for him that he's making a living by sounding like an owl but come on...

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
A friend of mine and I took Ronnie out for dinner back to back summers after games...had a great time talking with him, hearing his stories...

My favorite one was when we asked why he does what he does, and he said that Harry Carry asked him the same question...and he said 'It don't cost nuthin' to be nice'

I have always loved that reply.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I've seen (& heard) this Woo guy a few times at Wrigley. He reminds me of that Smiley guy? You know, that guy you always used to see waving and pointing whenever you'd go downtown Des Moines on a summer night. Does anyone here know who I'm talking about?

Absolutely I know smiley. We always gave him a wave and a hello when we'd see him in the old loop scooping days. I actually saw him periodically in my older years driving around at more sensible times as well and he would still wave once he knew you recognized him! Its been several years now though since I have seen him...

Woo woo was at Sec Taylor once at a game I attended and I have to say the idea is 'cute' but damn that gets on your nerves after a while.