C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
LINK
Toccara Ross has decided on her future.

Ross, the only senior on the Cyclone women's basketball team, said she will seek a medical hardship from the NCAA so that she can get a fifth season of eligibility and play next season. She will miss the rest of this season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee in a Dec. 21 game at Minnesota.

"I'll hang out, why not? I don't have anything else better to do," Ross said with a laugh. "It's going to be hard (to rehab), but I'll do it."

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"I'll hang out, why not? I don't have anything else better to do,"

Now that's a attitude that I like. Stay in school as long as they let you.:yes:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So how will the NCAA screw her...discuss.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis

Since they both play basketball at Iowa State they must know each other. Therefore, she has associated with him. Since he played on a team that had two people accept money and she has been within 10 feet of him, she must be considered a professional player and will not be allowed to play.

scubapohl1

Jun 1, 2006
Panama City Beach, FL

Boy isnt that the truth! While watching the beatdown between TX and ASU last night, they kept refering to the ASU kid who played minor league baseball before playing for ASU. All I could do was shake my head. How can the frigg'in NCAA call Lucca a pro and take a year from him when they turn around and let professional baseball players play football. :no:

OK so Lucca was the same sport but that doesn't explain how the NCAA screwed that snowboarder at CU saying he was a professional and couldn't play football.

You have to love the hypocracy!

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, the Jeremy Bloom deal was a load of crap.

Does anyone know why guys can play minor league baseball and then play college sports?

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Jeremy Bloom took endorsements to pay for his competitive skiing. Had he simply been paid by a team to ski, that would have been fine, but endorsements violated his status as an amateur.

Don't bother trying to understand the NCAA, it won't work.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I never really paid attention to how the NCAA dealt with these amateur/pro situations until the Bloom one. That was pretty bogus. Minor league baseball, that is fine, $$$ of gifts in bowl game fine, your teammate got paid? 1 year suspension for you. It seems pretty wishy washy, and just making their reputation drop with every screw job they do.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Wasn't the Olympics involved somehow?

In order for him to be able to train for and compete in the Olympics, he needed sponsors and endorsements. The NCAA said it was a naughty-naughty, but he could still play football if he didn't take any endorsements or prize money from the Olympics.

But back to ISU, I hope Toccara is given the medical redshirt; she plays with a lot of passion.

ISU3PtLand

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, Iowa
it wouldnt suprise me.. if anyone else remembers Katie Robinette got screwed and didnt get another year but some girl from mizzou did..NCAA just doesnt like us

This was a different situation. Katie transferred from Nebraska to Iowa State and under Big XII rules lost a season of eligibility. She had to petition the conference to get the year back, but was denied. The NCAA didn't have a hand in this one, but it sure felt like it.

If T is denied the medical hardship, I'll drive to Indianapolis myself and picket the NCAA!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Mizzou transfer referenced was also in an intraconference one. KSU was involved, IIRC.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The Mizzou transfer referenced was also in an intraconference one. KSU was involved, IIRC.

Nebraska was not happy about Katie leaving. They very likely led the push to deny giving the year back. KSU may have been more charitable.