Rotator cuff surgery

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I will be having surgery in January to repair my rotator cuff.

I have a hooked acromion that has caused impingement. (Born with it). Add in wear and tear to the rotator cuff. It is my dominant arm.

Wanting to know what I should have on hand to make recovery easier

The physical therapist gave me a flyer for an icing machine that pumps cold water through a wrap. Is it worth the expense?

Luckily I will have help.

Last edited:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

The physical therapist gave me a flyer for an icing machine that pumps cold water through a wrap. Is it work the expense?
A partner that is willing to help you shower, get your clothes on, go to the restroom, and drive you around. You are completely worthless/handicapped for a month+. Hate being a downer, but 2nd worst surgery behind fixing my broken nose.

I did a PRP shot on my 2ndd shoulder that needs work and it have done wonders.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

The physical therapist gave me a flyer for an icing machine that pumps cold water through a wrap. Is it work the expense?

My dad had that machine when he had his knee replaced. You can rent it. He actually found his knee felt better when he wasn’t using that so much. But obviously everyone is different.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

My wife had it last year. Best thing she did was buy these shirts that snap up the sides, so she didn't have to try to get her arm through a sleeve or pull the shirt over her head.

I hadn't heard about the icing machine.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My wife had it last year. Best thing she did was buy these shirts that snap up the sides, so she didn't have to try to get her arm through a sleeve or pull the shirt over her head.

I hadn't heard about the icing machine.
Reading the other posts, did you get in and shower with your wife or just scrub her down from outside?

• Funny
Reactions: legi

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Is it your dominant arm?

Some patients find sleeping in a recliner to be very helpful if they tend to toss and turn at night, Follow the exact post op surgery instructions given and have the number ready to call if you are feeling strange. Whatever you do, do not try to accelerate the timetable or push your recovery. This isn't a medical drama where grit produces results, you're just more likely to mess something up. Also report any odd interactions with the pain meds and possibly ask for some Zofran if you get nausea from pain.

OldEagle

Dec 15, 2017

I got the ice machine when I replaced my ACL. Basically a submersible pump that sits in a cooler and sends ice water through a wrap. It was fantastic. No mess.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I've had both torn cuffs worked on after major injuries, one twice and the other the surgeon said I had only one shot. Follow the instructions for rehab as Friendly Spartan spoke of. In time you will adapt. I can golf but I can not throw a ball or catch one above my chest. I can't hold my arm straight out and lift a glass of water, pitcher, pass a plate of food etc. You will sit and lie down in whatever is comfortable, everybody's different. Just do exactly what the surgeon and rehab folks tell you to do and don't cheat because it hurts.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I have two rotator cuff surgeries and need a third.
We all found our balance. You'll figure out what's best for you.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Depending on the condition of your rotator cuff, you might be better off with a reverse shoulder replacement. That thing is a miracle surgery...

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I had little issue. But mine was my non-dominant arm. My sister is very overweight and it's her dominant arm, she has been very dependent for 3+weeks. My other sister is an RN and has been caring for her. You may look into self-help devices if you're independent like myself. I never needed any help showering, drying, shitting or putting on socks. Practice doing all of these things with your free arm. If you can't you'll find things you need on Amazon. Like a shower scrunchy on a stick.

I bought an adjustable base bed and the ice machine. Highly recommend both.

I'm way better than I was before. I'm exactly 2 years removed. Had a full tear from an old injury, an impingement and spur. They moved the bicep tendon. Almost no pain now and can do push-ups without pain. Im 52 and 280 pounds so push-ups were hard. :)

Only pain I have is rare when doing PT for my middle back, but I'm almost 100% mobile now through all of these exercises. I would absolutely recommend the surgery.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I tore mine around 15 years ago. Slowly got better over time. I keep active so it didn’t lock like some people say but playing catch of any style with the kids was tough.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I had my non-dominant shoulder done in July 2020. A recliner is a definite need, probably for 2-3 weeks. Get used to laying on your back for a couple of months. Once you can finally can sleep on your non-repaired side, use a small pillow placed between your repaired side arm and stomach, it takes stress off the shoulder. Follow PT instructions religiously and don’t skimp on the exercises. Do them in the morning and the evening. I was able to drive in about 5 days. Showering wasn’t bad, you just let your arm dangle down. I would suggest getting a non-slip mat for the shower floor and a long-armed shower brush. I got the ice machine but didn’t use it as it was easier to just use gallon size freezer bag filled with rubbing alcohol/water mix. Keep two on hand so you can always have one available at all times. I was in the sling with pillow for 6 weeks, then another 2 just in the sling. Always keep some good medicine on hand, as you progress through your PT you will need them. I was able to start swinging a golf club in early November, hitting some balls mid-November and played a round at Thanksgiving time. You will be able start lifting light weights and should be at full strength in about 9 months. I am at full range and have no issues lifting weights, although I use dumbbells only. My physical therapist also told me to never do pushups again, it is a bad exercise for the shoulders and could cause issues again. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I’m getting worried reading the recovery times and limits

Did you have an open procedure or arthroscopic?

I had an impingement on my other shoulder a few years ago and it seemed fairly easy.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I'm sure they'll tell you this after the procedure, but be sure to move around and get some mild exercize the days following. My father in law died from a blod clot a few days after the surgery.

5thGenCyclone

Dec 4, 2011
Just had mine done in August. My 3 recommendations are get an ice machine, have a good recliner, and get a good wedge pillow for when you are able to return to bed. I'm only 36 and had a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, and bone spurs so a little more invasive than you might have, but I slept in a recliner with my ice machine on for 2 and a half months, do PT 3 times a week (not including daily exercise at home) and am still only about 25% "recovered" basically it's pretty intense but I'm still glad I did it. Best of luck!

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I’m getting worried reading the recovery times and limits

Did you have an open procedure or arthroscopic?

I had an impingement on my other shoulder a few years ago and it seemed fairly easy.
You definitely cannot rush the recovery time. Everyone is different on their recovery, just have to listen to your therapist as they are in contact with your surgeon with your progress. I had arthroscopic and only see one scar at this point.