Roth IRA Withdrawl Question

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If you also have a 401K, another option is to borrow from that to be paid back over a chosen set of time. You won’t earn money from the investment lost while in repayment, but any interest on the loan you’d have to pay would be to yourself rather than a bank.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I understand it as you can contribute as usual, but the funds you pull can't go back in.

Is this not correct? If I pull $14k in contributions those are gone forever from the Roth.

I can contribute going forward, but the funds I pull will never be returned.

Is the bot wrong?

Others have said it, but stated a different way, it's only true in the sense that contributions to a Roth have an annual cap.

If you are already socking away the annual maximum, any cash you pull out can never technically get put back, because it's considered a new contribution and subject to the annual contribution cap. You can't go over the cap to put back money you have taken out.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Seeking help from financial fanatics…

I was given a loan from my company which allowed me to purchase shares in the company. I have an agreement with my employer that I don't actually make any payments while I'm employed. The shares are worth more than the loan at this point but the company controls when I can actually sell them. They are shares I own outright (but with the loan) and not stock options. If I leave the company and they don’t allow me to sell, I may need to pay off the loan myself. The loan itself is about $35k +/-.

I could keep paying the loan to the company in the terms as-is, but the payments are higher than I'd want to take on in the short term.

Here are the options I’m considering:

1) Pull from my Roth IRA contributions. I'm well below the 59-1/2 age limit but as I read it, I can pull contributions at any time tax-free and penalty-free.
2) Private/Personal loan from bank. Interest rates for this are in the 9-10% range.
3) HELOC - We have plenty of equity and great credit. Rates here are better than private loan, but still in the 7-8% range.

My questions:
A) Am I correct that I can withdraw Roth contributions without issue? (Setting investment growth issues aside).
B) What else should I consider? Which options are best?
You received restricted shares in exchange for a loan, correct? So how much are the shares above the value of the loan? If you sold the shares, will you have capital gains to pay on them? If the margin isn't great, can you just walk away from the shares and cancel the loan? With the restrictions, do you really own anything other than a promissory note? This would make a great Dave Ramsay phone call

Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
But we also don’t know his full situation, so it’s hard to say “do this” with a high degree of confidence.
Agreed. My original draft was just to confirm the Roth withdrawl of contributions is ok. I expanded it to see if I was not seeing the whole picture.

I totally understand there are massive qualifiers on the advice given that I'm not sharing the entire picture here.

Mar 21, 2021
But we also don’t know his full situation, so it’s hard to say “do this” with a high degree of confidence.
Yes. And caveat emptor always applies, incl. when 'purchase price' is zilch.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Is that really "catching up"? The funds you pull are gone. If you can pump up your contributions later that still doesn't replace what was taken. That opportunity is gone.

$35k @ 9% over 20 years is $196,000 of tax free money at the end.

Better be some good stock to beat the market even with tax implications.
Thanks for stating it this way. It was helpful to see this in writing. I knew by pulling out Roth I'm sacrificing future gains, but it hits harder when you see that big number in writing.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You received restricted shares in exchange for a loan, correct? So how much are the shares above the value of the loan? If you sold the shares, will you have capital gains to pay on them? If the margin isn't great, can you just walk away from the shares and cancel the loan? With the restrictions, do you really own anything other than a promissory note? This would make a great Dave Ramsay phone call
Exactly right. Share value is 4-5x the balance on the loan. I've owned the shares for just shy of 2 years, so shouldn't be an short-term capital gains, as I understand it.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Exactly right. Share value is 4-5x the balance on the loan. I've owned the shares for just shy of 2 years, so shouldn't be an short-term capital gains, as I understand it.
Very nice margin indeed

Your worst option is pulling from the Roth. You are giving up 100% tax free gains AND potential annual average growth of 9-11%

I think the best option is when exiting the company, get a HELOC to pay off their loan. Then, sell the needed shares to payoff the HELOC. Also, consider converting the rest into mutual funds instead of single shares.

If I am mistaken and they somehow are able to continue to restrict your movement in those shares despite not employed and owing nothing on them, HELOC still feels like the best option.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is that really "catching up"? The funds you pull are gone. If you can pump up your contributions later that still doesn't replace what was taken. That opportunity is gone.

$35k @ 9% over 20 years is $196,000 of tax free money at the end.

Better be some good stock to beat the market even with tax implications.
Agreed. That's why I put "catch up" in quotes.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Roth contributions can be withdrawn at any time without tax or penalty, but it's important that you've documented those contributions on previous tax returns. Some DIYers neglect to report Roth contributions, and since it doesn't affect their taxes in the given year, it can go unnoticed for a long time. If the IRS doesn't have a record of your contributions, but now they have a 1099 for a big withdrawal, you're going to have a big headache.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Roth contributions can be withdrawn at any time without tax or penalty, but it's important that you've documented those contributions on previous tax returns. Some DIYers neglect to report Roth contributions, and since it doesn't affect their taxes in the given year, it can go unnoticed for a long time. If the IRS doesn't have a record of your contributions, but now they have a 1099 for a big withdrawal, you're going to have a big headache.
Interesting. I hadn’t thought of this angle.

Would my Roth account be enough to show documentation of contributions vs earnings?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Thanks for this. I always wondered why that line even existed in my taxes.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Good point and easy to overlook. If your Roth contributions go back far enough make sure you are documenting your annual contributions. I ran into a situation where my brokerage didn't have records from over 10 years ago of my Roth IRA contributions enabling me to easily differentiate contributions vs. gains when I made a withdrawal. Fortunately, I didn't have the monies transferred directly from my paycheck (2 employers ago) and I still do business with the same bank. So I could track contributions from that end.

• Informative

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Good point and easy to overlook. If your Roth contributions go back far enough make sure you are documenting your annual contributions. I ran into a situation where my brokerage didn't have records from over 10 years ago of my Roth IRA contributions enabling me to easily differentiate contributions vs. gains when I made a withdrawal. Fortunately, I didn't have the monies transferred directly from my paycheck (2 employers ago) and I still do business with the same bank. So I could track contributions from that end.
Wow, good to know. I don’t know that I’ve been documenting Roth contributions in my tax documents, either. Sounds like I need to get into that practice.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Interesting. I hadn’t thought of this angle.

Would my Roth account be enough to show documentation of contributions vs earnings?

I'm not sure about that. That'd be a good question for a CPA or certified tax preparer. It probably depends on how well it's documented by the custodian, but even with that, I think you'd probably need to file some amended returns.

I'm a Financial Advisor, so I help keep people on the right side of the law proactively, but I'm not an expert on dealing with the IRS to correct past mistakes. If you haven't documented Roth contributions in the past and decide to make a withdrawal for this situation, I would highly recommend engaging with a professional tax preparer to help you fix it.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm not sure about that. That'd be a good question for a CPA or certified tax preparer. It probably depends on how well it's documented by the custodian, but even with that, I think you'd probably need to file some amended returns.

I'm a Financial Advisor, so I help keep people on the right side of the law proactively, but I'm not an expert on dealing with the IRS to correct past mistakes. If you haven't documented Roth contributions in the past and decide to make a withdrawal for this situation, I would highly recommend engaging with a professional tax preparer to help you fix it.

It's not something I would encourage anyone to amend a return for, and if we're being honest it's also not something I'm sure the IRS even tracks. The IRS already gets that information via form 5498 filed by the custodian of the IRA which tells the IRS the amount contributed in the year and also what the value of the account was at the end of the year.

I've not encountered any issues with clients who hadn't previously reported roth contributions reporting tax free distributions on their return.

Whether you've kept track of the contributions or not, the key is to be able to support the tax free distribution with evidence that you in fact contributed the money.

Reactions: Tailg8er

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Seeking help from financial fanatics…

I was given a loan from my company which allowed me to purchase shares in the company. I have an agreement with my employer that I don't actually make any payments while I'm employed. The shares are worth more than the loan at this point but the company controls when I can actually sell them. They are shares I own outright (but with the loan) and not stock options. If I leave the company and they don’t allow me to sell, I may need to pay off the loan myself. The loan itself is about $35k +/-.

I could keep paying the loan to the company in the terms as-is, but the payments are higher than I'd want to take on in the short term.

Here are the options I’m considering:

1) Pull from my Roth IRA contributions. I'm well below the 59-1/2 age limit but as I read it, I can pull contributions at any time tax-free and penalty-free.
2) Private/Personal loan from bank. Interest rates for this are in the 9-10% range.
3) HELOC - We have plenty of equity and great credit. Rates here are better than private loan, but still in the 7-8% range.

My questions:
A) Am I correct that I can withdraw Roth contributions without issue? (Setting investment growth issues aside).
B) What else should I consider? Which options are best?
Have you considered paying back the company in installments while you're still working for them? I mean, from what I understand, they won't accept the payments, but you could put them in an escrow account every month anyway. That way when/if you finally do leave the company, the pay down of the loan won't be nearly as burdensome.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Have you considered asking your company to amend the stock loan payments to fit your desired budget? If it is a no or low interest loan why hurry to pay it?