Roth IRA Withdrawl Question

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
It's not something I would encourage anyone to amend a return for, and if we're being honest it's also not something I'm sure the IRS even tracks. The IRS already gets that information via form 5498 filed by the custodian of the IRA which tells the IRS the amount contributed in the year and also what the value of the account was at the end of the year.

I've not encountered any issues with clients who hadn't previously reported roth contributions reporting tax free distributions on their return.

Whether you've kept track of the contributions or not, the key is to be able to support the tax free distribution with evidence that you in fact contributed the money.

Fair enough - I stand corrected. That's a good point about the 5498 going to the IRS. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I've been led to believe. I haven't yet had a client in this situation, partly because I remind them to report the contributions, and partly because I'm usually able to come up with a better option than withdrawing their contributions. Unfortunately, in this case, there might not be a better option for you.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
I think you have the answer to number two with what you are asking, never take out a "loan" again on an investment if you , don't want to/can't, afford the payments out of current budget.

PS. Hoping you the best in your new job search.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think you have the answer to number two with what you are asking, never take out a "loan" again on an investment if you , don't want to/can't, afford the payments out of current budget.

PS. Hoping you the best in your new job search.
I appreciate the advice and I agree with you in principle. The lesson for me is just a simple "don't owe your employer money." This is a forgivable loan arrangement. So the compensation incentive is you buy shares in the company, with a loan from the company, and the loan is forgiven over time. So, I wouldn't pay anything other than the taxes on the loan forgiveness (IRS treats it as income).

I ran through the "what if" scenarios when I took this job. Those included me wanting to quit some day. Back then, I figured "Eh, I'll just sell the shares back and be fine." What I didn't realize/appreciate is that choice is not mine.

If I could do it over again, I would've negotiated some sort of "quit clause" into the contract where this scenario is spelled out. It's a good life lesson and it won't be a financially crippling one; just uncomfortable.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Chizek coins are irreplaceable and should be worth a fortune.
I’ll cut you a deal and sell you mine for 500k. Don’t let this opportunity pass you up. You have 12 hours to say yes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have a feeling that your soon to be ex employer will not want you to own the shares. Many have a deal where you have to sell them back and generally not at FMV, it will be like 10% below or so.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I’ll cut you a deal and sell you mine for 500k. Don’t let this opportunity pass you up. You have 12 hours to say yes.
I already have a fortune (2 Chiz coins). I don't want to be greedy and deprive some other person of the opportunity.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
I’m sorry this does not respond to your original question, but I’ve never heard of a situation like this and have some questions. Is this a publicly traded company? If not, how do you value the stock? If the company offered to sell you this stock with a restriction that you couldn’t sell it when you want to and you had the cash in your checking account, would you buy it? If you didn’t have the cash and had to borrow the money from your bank, would you buy it? It seems like you are tying a lot of your future well-being to your employer.