Royce white says he doesn't know about NBA

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Let me fix this for you:

He needs to go pro IF HES GUARANTEED MONEY. Let's figure this out. There's what, 30 NBA teams with 15 roster spots each. In other words, ~450 roster spots. Now, how many of those are filled with guys who will be coming back next year? Most. Room for rookies? Yes, the top ones drafted in the first round.

Sorry, but just because you have a young family and he needs to go pro, doesn't mean he should do it right now. In my opinion, most scouts like Royce, but at this point what he'll be doing wouldn't be guaranteed money.

As much of a dilemma this is, if Royce really wants the life of being a millionaire at this point, he should come back another year, gain more experience, dominate basketball even more and develop a jump shot. If he does these things, he will be a first round pick next year with *guaranteed money*.

Just because you get drafted in say the 2nd round of the NBA, doesn't mean you're going to make it. Ask Will Blalock about it.

This. Royce has frequently stated that basketball is not the most important thing in his life (although I am sure it is pretty close). He appears to love ISU, his education and will likely listen to his coach. I say, no way does Fred Hoiberg tell him to go pro right now. Jump shot, free throws, flying and I am sure other areas to work on that even we don't know or understand. Fred will advise him to come back for one more year. My gut feeling is that Royce will do whatever he is told to do. Most players who have a chance to go pro do it because it is by far the most important thing in their entire life that they have dreamed about since childhood. I am not sure that this is how Royce thinks about it. He stays......

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
One more thing about Royce and going to the NBA. Right now he's able to run the court, STUFF IT, or do some post up stuff (which I have to say has gotten better). He's not going to be able to do that as much in the NBA and he'll have to develop the jump shot to ensure he gets points in other ways as well.

There are guys in the NBA who are just as big as Royce, or close, and they are very strong. I mean, it's what they do for a living really outside of community work. Anthony Davis on UK? He's special because the length of his arms, but Royce owned him most of the day because he's a weak twig.

Royce is very strong, and far ahead of most college players, but the gap is going to narrow when he goes to the NBA.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Fizer and Brackins stayed until their Junior years so I believe Royce will be here until he is a junior as well...

Fizer and Brackins both had the 15 ft jumper capabilities but White does not...

That's true, but Royce is a better player than either one of them.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
why else would Fred have been bringing in another center. its pretty clear what will happen

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
why else would Fred have been bringing in another center. its pretty clear what will happen

Niang? He's a Power Forward (he's 6'7"). IMO if you look at it, Jordan Railey has gotten probably less than 10 minutes all year as a sophomore, yet Percy Gibson as a freshman gets wayyy more minutes even though Gibson is 2 inches shorter than Railey at the C position.

I'd be more apt to believe Railey is going to xfer out first. I think it's pretty clear that he's not going to be getting much PT unless he really, really improves his game.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Part of me thinks that Royce has already made up his mind and Fred knows it. RW is classy enough to know better than to make it about him during the season or right at the end of it. He will wait long enough before making the announcement that he's going.

RW has said that playing in the NBA is his dream and he has the chance to go chase it now. I totally understand why he doesn't want to wait a year

Cyclonz

Nov 23, 2009
Denver, CO
Gives me goose bumps when he says Ames gave him his life back - what a great college town with great fans and support. What a great coach to have to give him guidance.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
As much as I hate internet talent evaluators, I don't think there's many places that say Royce will be a first round pick. IMO after his performances, he's still a 2nd rounder for next year.

I haven't asked any scouts though what they think, have you? I think we're all guessing here. Again, if you want guaranteed money, you better make sure you're first round, otherwise it's going to be one of the biggest mistakes of your life.

The NBA is HIGHLY competitive and if you don't make a roster, you basically can play in the D-league making **** money or play in Europe making a..halfway decent living, but remember we're talking about basketball. Even if you make $80,000/year playing for a halfway decent club in Europe (You could be lucky and play for a very, very good eurobasketball team and get a few million a year, but that doesn't happen to every single player.), you're going to be "retired" from basketball in 10-15 years. You can't retire on that ****. Then what are you going to do that you don't have a college degree? Even if you had a college degree, you've been removed from your field for 10-15 years, that has probably drastically changed **** since you were last learning about it so nobody is going to hire you for that anyway.

Unless White was guaranteed by scouts and GMs to be a first rounder, I would advise the guy to come back and improve his game and work on his education more as much as I want to see the guy succeed in life and also be a multi millionaire. There is nothing worse than a guy going to the NBA too prematurely, then having to play in the minors getting paid jack ****

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Part of me thinks that Royce has already made up his mind and Fred knows it. RW is classy enough to know better than to make it about him during the season or right at the end of it. He will wait long enough before making the announcement that he's going.

RW has said that playing in the NBA is his dream and he has the chance to go chase it now. I totally understand why he doesn't want to wait a year
This isn't the case. Royce WILL go off of what Fred says. Fred will make calls and see. If Fred says he thinks Royce needs to stay, Royce will stay. Simple as that.

TyCy

Apr 28, 2009
Decatur, IL
How doesn't Royce know about the NBA?

It's professional basketball, duh. I would have thought all college basketball players were aware of the NBA.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
How doesn't Royce know about the NBA?

It's professional basketball, duh. I would have thought all college basketball players were aware of the NBA.
Well the next superstar player that we get, nobody say anything about the NBA to him so he will stay 4 years....then go ahead an tell him! :spinny:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
He's not leaving....He's said multiple times that he has other passions besides basketball..this isn't a kid that is all into the big time like others (LeBron, Beasley, Durant). All projections have him as a solid first rounder for the 2013 draft, not 2012...

White is also a tweener, he won't be able to do the stuff he's allowed to now in the pros...plus he's undersized...do you honestly think he will match up with most big in the NBA? I don't.

We will have struggles next year with or without Royce...We will be more of a traditional team and will have to change things up to help cover up our worse three-point shooting.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went to a pick-and-roll offense with Royce and Lucious next year with the potential of Babb and Clyburn being cutters or getting screens for shots...going to be a different team next year and I expect even with Royce that we will stumble a couple of times.

With Royce I see a 5-6 seed..without Royce I see us as a bubble team.

C

CyBer

He's not leaving....He's said multiple times that he has other passions besides basketball..this isn't a kid that is all into the big time like others (LeBron, Beasley, Durant). All projections have him as a solid first rounder for the 2013 draft, not 2012...

White is also a tweener, he won't be able to do the stuff he's allowed to now in the pros...plus he's undersized...do you honestly think he will match up with most big in the NBA? I don't.

We will have struggles next year with or without Royce...We will be more of a traditional team and will have to change things up to help cover up our worse three-point shooting.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went to a pick-and-roll offense with Royce and Lucious next year with the potential of Babb and Clyburn being cutters or getting screens for shots...going to be a different team next year and I expect even with Royce that we will stumble a couple of times.

With Royce I see a 5-6 seed..without Royce I see us as a bubble team.

I don't think we will struggle as much as you think we will with Royce back.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but imo Royce played himself into the first round of the tourney. The Jazz GM, Kevin O'Connor was asked the other day about the importance of how a player plays in the tourney, and he was pretty solid on players playing their way up the draft board with their play.
I'm not a draft junkie, though, and it would seem this years draft would be a bit heavier than other years given the lockout keeping some players in college a year longer than they would have stayed otherwise.

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
That's true, but Royce is a better player than either one of them.

Brackins yes, Fizer? I don't agree. I think it's difficult to compare Fizer and Royce as they had different playstyles, but Fizer was a scorer. He was a monster his final year at ISU. If Royce turns into a guy that can hit those baseline/elbow jumpers, yes, I will concede he is the better player.

Royce has a lot to gain in another year in college. The money he can guarantee himself is insane. Look at it this way, if he gets drafted in the second round and they send him to D-League to refine his game (improve shots from outside the rim, free throws, being able to fly) he will make $18,000. That's it. No guarantee outside of D league salary. Now, if he takes that year to develop at ISU he gets zero money. But, if he works himself into a top 10 pick - which he will if he can get his jumper percentage to an acceptable range - he is looking at millions guaranteed for at least two seasons. If he does well, he is looking at likely near 10 million for 4 years.

Granted, he could also make some cash going the D-League route, as if he does develop fast he could be in for a huge payday after just 2 seasons. But, that is a riskier path.

Injuries could happen at either place. If it happens in D-League, he is in trouble. If it happens at ISU he can still finish his education under scholarship while he heals.

This could all be conjecture if he can go in the first this season. Then he needs to take the money.

It's all just opinion at this point, but I think Royce stays. The surrounding cast will be more dynamic next season. He will have a PG which will enable him to focus on directly scoring, raising his stock. As many have said, Royce likes basketball, but I think it's down the list a bit on his passions. If he sticks out one more year, he can be looking at $10 million in the next five years of his life. That is enough to step away, and pursue any dreams he wants. If he goes the D-League route, he is going to have to fight a lot longer to get near that money.

He'll get the advice he needs. Either way, I hope it works out. It's a win-win for us. If he stays, good for us and him. If Fred knows he going to go decently high, good for Royce and also good for us. Why? Because it shows players that Fred knows exactly what he is talking about. He is looking out for their best interests and is able to accurately guide them to solid career decisions.

The only negative would be Fred telling him to, that he is a first round lock, and he falls into the second round. That would be bad for everyone involved.

Love the coach. Love the guy. Love the team. It's a great time to be a Cyclone fan again. I wish all the best to Royce with his decision. It's been an honor to see him on the hardwood.

Reactions: mustangcy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
IMO Royce could use another year to work on some balance with his scoring, if he adds a consistent jumper he'd be deadly. With that being said, his stock is pretty high right now. He just went toe to toe with a UK (and UCONN) roster full of NBA talent and more than held his own. This tourney will either be what opened up the door for him to leave or was his coming out party to be a household name by the time next season starts.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I think a lot of you are thinking with your heart, not your head. I cannot believe he didn't play himself into the first round over the last month or so. A lot of guys develop the mid-range shot as their careers progress. Magic and Jason Kidd couldn't shoot a lick when they started their careers and they were guards. Royce has unique talent and someone will have an idea about how to put him to good use, even with his present shortcomings.

I love the kid and have never had so much fun watching someone grow up right before your eyes. He might be the most thoughtful and introspective athlete we've had at ISU so who knows, he may surprise me and stick around. But I would be very surprised. Good lord, he was something to behold the last two games! I will never forget watching him play in our uniform. Best of luck to Royce, whatever he decides to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyfan322