Rueben vs. Patty Melt

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I'm considering one of these for lunch tomorrow. From what I've seen these two sandwiches are very similar. Both seem to leverage a marbled grilled rye bread against a beefy center. I am leaning towards to the Reuben due to the inclusion of Russian dressing, but the carmelized onions do make a compelling case. For those of you who have had experience with these two similar, but strikingly different sandwiches: what should I get?

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Patty Melt is a safer choice as virtually no restaurant can screw up a patty melt. There is an art to the Reuben and a bad one is really bad.

Reactions: chadly82

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I'm considering one of these for lunch tomorrow. From what I've seen these two sandwiches are very similar. Both seem to leverage a marbled grilled rye bread against a beefy center. I am leaning towards to the Reuben due to the inclusion of Russian dressing, but the carmelized onions do make a compelling case. For those of you who have had experience with these two similar, but strikingly different sandwiches: what should I get?

I would definitely go with the reuben. Corned beef trumps a tasteless ground beef patty every time and the sauerkraut is the icing on the cake. However, this leads to another debate. You mentioned Russian dressing. Many, if not most Reuben's I've enjoyed had thousand island dressing. So, which is correct?? Which dressing truly encapsulates the spirit of this classic sandwich? I must stay true to my convictions and say that only a Reuben with thousand island dressing can be considered a fine dining experience. Thoughts?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Just want to throw this out there... The restaurant I used to work at served hamburger patties with 34 grams of fat. Just an FYI.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would definitely go with the reuben. Corned beef trumps a tasteless ground beef patty every time and the sauerkraut is the icing on the cake. However, this leads to another debate. You mentioned Russian dressing. Many, if not most Reuben's I've enjoyed had thousand island dressing. So, which is correct?? Which dressing truly encapsulates the spirit of this classic sandwich? I must stay true to my convictions and say that only a Reuben with thousand island dressing can be considered a fine dining experience. Thoughts?
Thousand Island is a type of Russian and the only one I've ever had on a reuben.

I like the reuben better, but I'll echo what the others have said: a bad reuben can be really bad. Higher risk, but also higher reward if you get a good one.

kas4cy

Sep 11, 2011
Iowa City, IA
A Ruben is a beautiful thing. One of the best sandwiches on this planet. Patty melts are hard to screw up, and far far less satisfying. Go with the Ruben.

Cyclonefanatic: Home of the most ridiculous threads since... whenever CF started.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Has the sauerkraut on the reuben proven to be "problematic" for anyone? It's one of my biggest concerns.

I think it can be if the kraut is too moist because then it ruins the whole sandwich because it can be soggy. I think the best approach is to have bread, cheese, meat, kraut, meat, cheese and bread to hold the juices in.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

Patty melt is a greasy mess...but oh so tasty