Rule changes

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
What are everyone's thoughts after watching their first duels with the rule changes? It could be just the opponent, but there seemed to be a LOT more action, which is good. Will be interesting to see how this plays out against tougher competition.

The one thing I hadn't really thought that seems off is staying with 2 points for a reversal. There is often a fine line between a reversal and an escape + TD. However, scoring-wise that is now a difference of 2 points. JFrost had two or three yesterday that could have made that match more interesting.

Last edited:

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Personally I like the changes. Imo getting a TD is harder than getting a escape or reversal so I think you should be rewarded more for that. I also liked the faster track to bonus and Tech Fall. I can't think of any negatives that I saw.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I’ll hold judgment until we see how this works with real competition. Seems to me a lot of the scores were simply artificially inflated. ISU dominated a bad opponent, and results would have been similar under any rule set.

Reactions: ST8TAILG8R

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I’ll hold judgment until we see how this works with real competition. Seems to me a lot of the scores were simply artificially inflated. ISU dominated a bad opponent, and results would have been similar under any rule set.
This. The real real litmus test for the new rules will be the Iowa dual.

Last edited:

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
PS- when can we put the "duel" spelling to bed? Do people actually spell it that way in other areas of the country?

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
I like it. Don't think it will swing too many individual matches, but makes majors easier. Should change major to 9 points maybe so it still has some meaning.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
PS- when can we put the "duel" spelling to bed? Do people actually spell it that way in other areas of the country?
I honestly just typed it and didn't think about it. I was going to beg for forgiveness, but decided to look them up. According to Merriam-Webster it seems duel would be more appropriate.

duel​

1 of 2

noun

du·el ˈdü-əl
also ˈdyü-

Synonyms of duel
: a combat between two persons
specifically : a formal combat with weapons fought between two persons in the presence of witnesses

: a conflict between antagonistic persons, ideas, or forces
also : a hard-fought contest between two opponents

dual​

1 of 2

adjective

du·al ˈdü(-ə)l
also ˈdyü-əl

Synonyms of dual
of grammatical number : denoting reference to two
a dual pronoun

a
: consisting of two parts or elements or having two like parts : DOUBLE
families with dual incomes

held dual citizenship in France and the U.S.

a dual function

a dual exhaust system

b
: having a double character or nature

• Informative
Reactions: CyDawg23

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I honestly just typed it and didn't think about it. I was going to beg for forgiveness, but decided to look them up. According to Merriam-Webster it seems duel would be more appropriate.

duel​

1 of 2

noun

du·el ˈdü-əl
also ˈdyü-

Synonyms of duel
: a combat between two persons
specifically : a formal combat with weapons fought between two persons in the presence of witnesses

: a conflict between antagonistic persons, ideas, or forces
also : a hard-fought contest between two opponents

dual​

1 of 2

adjective

du·al ˈdü(-ə)l
also ˈdyü-əl

Synonyms of dual
of grammatical number : denoting reference to two
a dual pronoun

a
: consisting of two parts or elements or having two like parts : DOUBLE
families with dual incomes

held dual citizenship in France and the U.S.

a dual function

a dual exhaust system

b
: having a double character or nature
That said, browsing other articles, it does appear that dual is the more accepted spelling in wrestling circles. So whatever...interesting sidebar I guess.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
For wrestling, dual meet simply refers to how many teams are competing.

Most of the time, there are just two teams, competing head to head. Hence, a dual.

Sometimes, there are three teams at one event, alternating which team is going head to head with one another. Those events are referred to as a triangular.

At least that's how I've always understood it.

I've seen quadrangulars as well.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I just find it weird people use duel when all publications in wrestling use dual (ie national duals, dual meet, dual schedule, etc)... unless I'm missing something.

Help Support Us

Become a patron