Rules: When did MBB eliminate 3 second call?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was pretty critical of our bigs' defense on Lampkin while I was watching the game last night. How could they give up that many offensive rebounds to the guy? I rewatched the game today to figure out how he got such deep offensive rebounding position. My conclusion is that it is tough to keep Fatty Lumpkin off the offensive boards when he has a NIL deal with Kelty because he is pitching his tent in the lane all night long. As an example in their last four offensive possessions (not counting the desperation heave) he was:
1) In the lane for 7 seconds before the shot went up. He might have got a toe on the line early but even then at least 5 seconds.
2) not in the lane for more than 3 seconds.
3) In the lane for 5 seconds before the shot went up.
4) In the lane for the entire 9 second possession so conservatively in the lane for 8 seconds before the shot went up without even a toe coming close to out of the lane.

These weren't even close. Officials are going to miss this from time to time, but these guys weren't ever looking to call this. Terrible. It is tough to block out a 265 lb. guy when he never has to leave the lane once he gets in there.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I totally agree with you, however, they aren't going to make that call in that situation. Plus, if the guy has an active dribble, no matter how long he's in there, they aren't making that call.

Frustrating for sure.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I totally agree with you, however, they aren't going to make that call in that situation. Plus, if the guy has an active dribble, no matter how long he's in there, they aren't making that call.

Frustrating for sure.
He didn't have the ball in any of those situations so he didn't have an active dribble. This was just a sample of the entire game...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was pretty critical of our bigs' defense on Lampkin while I was watching the game last night. How could they give up that many offensive rebounds to the guy? I rewatched the game today to figure out how he got such deep offensive rebounding position. My conclusion is that it is tough to keep Fatty Lumpkin off the offensive boards when he has a NIL deal with Kelty because he is pitching his tent in the lane all night long. As an example in their last four offensive possessions (not counting the desperation heave) he was:
1) In the lane for 7 seconds before the shot went up. He might have got a toe on the line early but even then at least 5 seconds.
2) not in the lane for more than 3 seconds.
3) In the lane for 5 seconds before the shot went up.
4) In the lane for the entire 9 second possession so conservatively in the lane for 8 seconds before the shot went up without even a toe coming close to out of the lane.

These weren't even close. Officials are going to miss this from time to time, but these guys weren't ever looking to call this. Terrible. It is tough to block out a 265 lb. guy when he never has to leave the lane once he gets in there.

This feels like a rule you could enforce automatically with some sort of motion detector.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
The 3 seconds in the lane violation has always been sparsely called in college ball. It seems like it's only called when an offensive player assumes that a teammate is about to shoot but the shot gets passed up. Then the guy trying to get position for the offensive rebound stays camped in the lane and gets the violation.

The wording of the violation is almost as straight forward as anything in the rulebook.
Article 1 defines what the lane is.
Article 2 states that it is a violation for any part of the body of a player to be in the lane for more than 3 consecutive seconds while their team has control of the ball in their frontcourt (except during an out of bounds throw in)
Article 3 states that the count is suspended if the player has the ball in the lane and is dribbling or moving for an immediately shot attempt.

Honestly, I would not be surprised to watch a game replay and see 10+ violations on each team in many college games if it was enforced verbatim.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It has struck me this year that it seems pretty egregious. Like it’s not even a rule anymore.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The 3 seconds in the lane violation has always been sparsely called in college ball. It seems like it's only called when an offensive player assumes that a teammate is about to shoot but the shot gets passed up. Then the guy trying to get position for the offensive rebound stays camped in the lane and gets the violation.

The wording of the violation is almost as straight forward as anything in the rulebook.
Article 1 defines what the lane is.
Article 2 states that it is a violation for any part of the body of a player to be in the lane for more than 3 consecutive seconds while their team has control of the ball in their frontcourt (except during an out of bounds throw in)
Article 3 states that the count is suspended if the player has the ball in the lane and is dribbling or moving for an immediately shot attempt.

Honestly, I would not be surprised to watch a game replay and see 10+ violations on each team in many college games if it was enforced verbatim.
Seems like they will allow you to be there forever if you have one foot out of the lane. I understanding not calling if one is out and the other is on the line. Don't want players always looking down to see if they are on the line or have a toe in the lane, but you should be able to tell if half you body is there.

• Agree
Reactions: qwerty

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Don't ask why it isn't being called. Ask why we aren't taking advantage and doing the same things, until someone gets whistled for it.
We don't have bigs that can score in the paint. Jones is a prime example, getting blocked by defender or rim several times a game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Seems like they will allow you to be there forever if you have one foot out of the lane. I understanding not calling if one is out and the other is on the line. Don't want players always looking down to see if they are on the line or have a toe in the lane, but you should be able to tell if half you body is there.
To be clear in my examples above except for the comment about a toe possibly touching the lane line Fatty Lumpkin was entirely in the lane for the duration of the counts I took. I know that a lot of officials will reset the count if a guy puts a foot outside the lane. That wasn't the case here.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
It's crazy that you posted this today. I literally said to my wife during the game last night "I guess the 3 second call does not exist anymore".

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'm guessing the only time a referee will call this is if a coach is hounding him/her to watch for it. This is something I think the assistant coaches need to be watching for and relay to the head coach.
This. Coaches also need to be looking for it when watching the scouting video too, so the head coach can get on it early in the game. Particularly when it is giving a distinct advantage (like a guy camping out for offensive rebounds).

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
This is probably a dumb question, but why is this a rule? Would games just turn into wrestling matches under the basket every possession? As people have pointed out, it's rarely called right now and it usually doesn't have a lot of impact on the game, so I'm wondering if it really matters.

I mostly ask because, in general, I think that sports are better and more fun to watch when there are fewer rules that officials have to enforce.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That blatant missed foul call in the final seconds where Grill got slapped twice with Hollywood Higgins staring at it just feet away was bad too. The 3 second call stuff TJ and his stuff need to be in the refs ears on that so they pay better attention to it. Bet you Self and Huggins would have and it would have been enforced better.