Rus and Scates

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Really disappointed in WR recruiting and development. Noel looks like a good one, and X is an all Big 12 guy. Wilson is strictly a blocker. Shaw has regressed. Milton has regressed. Jackson saw the field last year and has since disappeared. Scates is a bust every season.

Maybe overall Milton has regressed, but honestly he's come on the last few weeks. Seems a bit unfair to group him with some others.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
speaking of receivers that have disappeared, what has happened with Daniel Jackson? He was the young guy to watch last year before he got hurt.
Yeah he probably deserves more snaps, would at least like to see him. WR is a huge unknown next year but perhaps guys like aidan bitter, D Jackson, and Noel are solid. We'll see.

Noel has already shown me he can run good routes up the middle get open, and make the catch. That's promising.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Maybe all the other guys were just flashes in the pan, but it seems to be that our offense is solely focused on getting the ball to a few receivers each game (other than getting Breece lots of carries), with options 1 & 2 being Xavier and Kolar. As for the rest, seems like one or two of them might get targets, and might even be a #3 option, if they're lucky (Allen, Noel for a game), but the O seems to be all about getting a few # of guys the ball, not necessarily taking what's open.

That was part of the beauty of the OSU game, Brock was able to distribute to many WRs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Maybe all the other guys were just flashes in the pan, but it seems to be that our offense is solely focused on getting the ball to a few receivers each game (other than getting Breece lots of carries), with options 1 & 2 being Xavier and Kolar. As for the rest, seems like one or two of them might get targets, and might even be a #3 option, if they're lucky (Allen, Noel for a game), but the O seems to be all about getting a few # of guys the ball, not necessarily taking what's open.

That was part of the beauty of the OSU game, Brock was able to distribute to many WRs.

Allen is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy under utilized.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'd kind of like to see Ezeriah Anderson get more playing time. At worst he's another big body to block for Breece.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Really disappointed in WR recruiting and development. Noel looks like a good one, and X is an all Big 12 guy. Wilson is strictly a blocker. Shaw has regressed. Milton has regressed. Jackson saw the field last year and has since disappeared. Scates is a bust every season.

Shaw and Wilson have been hurt. Maybe Jackson too? It's a position where our depth has been disappointing. Milton is good, but isn't the best blocker so it makes us more predictable when he's out there.

To me the disappointing part of the pass game includes the complete absence of Easton Dean.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
We have very few receivers who can get open. A lot of the pressure brought on Purdy is related directly to this.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'd kind of like to see Ezeriah Anderson get more playing time. At worst he's another big body to block for Breece.
Anderson (soph), Jackson (fresh), and Noel (fresh) are our three young top 100 or so receivers.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We have very few receivers who can get open. A lot of the pressure brought on Purdy is related directly to this.

I always appreciate the "behind the line" camera shot for this. It's easy to sit there and think "quit dancing around Brock" until you see just how not-open everyone is.

It seems like it's been this way for years and a combination of scheme and talent. You watch other teams play and they seem to get guys open in that 5-15 yard pass game with relative ease. With us, it just seems like Purdy is always throwing into tight windows and very rare do guys get open.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Either that or he is gone already. I don't recall him getting hurt and he has not played in weeks. The young man I am afraid isn't mature enough or doesn't get it. Good riddance if so.
He got in trouble so soon after arriving on campus, I was honestly surprised he was given another opportunity. Not mature enough to recognize opportunities he's been given.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I always appreciate the "behind the line" camera shot for this. It's easy to sit there and think "quit dancing around Brock" until you see just how not-open everyone is.

It seems like it's been this way for years and a combination of scheme and talent. You watch other teams play and they seem to get guys open in that 5-15 yard pass game with relative ease. With us, it just seems like Purdy is always throwing into tight windows and very rare do guys get open.
It is frustrating but you're right, we are either schematically flawed or talent devoid at the WR position sans Hutchinson. It did seem like there were guys getting open on Saturday, but I think Brock was too busy trying to buy himself time to look down field and see them. Why we can't just have a guys run more routes to the flats more often is beyond me. WVU made their gameplan around doing that until we softened up over the middle a bit, then just started to gash us vertically. They certainly don't have talent issues at WR like we do.

Help Support Us

Become a patron