Rushing the court?

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
Have the cyclone fans ever rushed the court after a cyclone victory? I don"t remember it ever happening.

CONEClone

Dec 16, 2009
Ames
When we beat the #1 team (Texas or Kansas) next year I would be the students will rush the court. :yes:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I think it may have happened when Barry Stevens' shot beat Missouri back in the spring of 1983...not sure because I was in HS and listening on a radio.

I don't believe it happened in the mid to late 80s when I was at ISU and I never missed a game...frankly, we went to Hilton expecting to win every game played.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Don't ever remember it happening while I was attending from 1997-2003. Then again, during that time we expected to win games, even if we were playing Kansas, so we wouldn't rush the court for a big win. We also didn't rush the court when we won our Big 12 Championships.

I can understand rushing the court if, say, we beat a top 5 Kansas team at home next year - in fact, I would expect it. But I would love to get back to the point where the expectation of winning those kinds of games makes rushing the court behavior that is beneath us (same with football).

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I remember seeing pictures of Stinson in a sea of people after the win to get the Cyclones to NYC for the NIT semifinals.

Last edited:

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Reactions: CyLoboClone

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was front row in the student section that game. We were going NUTS. When we rushed the court I got inadvertently elbowed in the face by Homan.....still hurts

I was also in the student section for the game, that place was going NUTS. Combining this with all the rushes we did in Football from 02-06, the Texas Bball game was my favorite. Mainly cause we rushed for any win in football. That and the Texas game was so dramatic at the end, I'd love to see a replay of the last 3 minutes.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I think it may have happened when Barry Stevens' shot beat Missouri back in the spring of 1983...not sure because I was in HS and listening on a radio.

I don't believe it happened in the mid to late 80s when I was at ISU and I never missed a game...frankly, we went to Hilton expecting to win every game played.

JO's #1 fan wasn't at the '83 mizzou game?????? you missed out man! of course they rushed the court - cyclones.com had video of it last year.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I was also in the student section for the game, that place was going NUTS. Combining this with all the rushes we did in Football from 02-06, the Texas Bball game was my favorite. Mainly cause we rushed for any win in football. That and the Texas game was so dramatic at the end, I'd love to see a replay of the last 3 minutes.

There was too much damn emotion in that game in the last 5-10 seconds, that I doubt many people even realized they were rushing the floor at first! ISU up by one, that foul on Boddicker kind of was a kick to the face, because you knew if he made both of them, Texas would win. The crowd was just so damn energetic that day, students were jumping up and down on the risers, screaming, yelling, etc. My ears hurt it was so damn loud. Than Boddicker missed both free throws, and after the second miss, Texas got the rebound, shot and missed, got the rebound again, shot and missed again and than the horn sounded. The second the horn sounded, it was like the flood gate opened and the crowd flooded the floor!

With Football, you kind of sit around for the last 30 seconds waiting; knowing you're going to rush the field. This game was just a spur of the moment, adrenaline/celebratory rush...the way it should be!

Just look at the last minute... http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2004/02/14/texas-77-iowa-state-78/play_by_play

Last edited:

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle

This was my first Cyclone game ever. I rooted for the dark side while growing up and when I finally knew I was coming to ISU for engineering I gathered up a couple buddies and went. Brandon Mouton looked unstoppable but the comeback was amazing. Easily the best game I've seen still to this day.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Man, reading those articles brought back some fond memories of Damion Staple for me. He never put up huge stats, but he was a big body who had productive minutes and a motor that just wouldn't quit.

I would love for this year's team to have him available.

isucyc

Mar 9, 2006
Don't you remember in 1956 when Iowa State beat Kansas and Wilt Chamberlain 57-56. The floor at the Armory was flooded with fans. Ask Gary Thompson about this. This was a great moment in Iowa State History.