RV, Camper or 5th Wheel

What type of RV would you advise someone to purchase?

• RV - class A

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • RV - class C

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Camper

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 5th Wheel

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Might as well ask Apple vs Android or Ford vs Chevy. Lol.

For us the class A with a tow behind is our preference. We get to hangout in the cabin while driving (please make me lunch), large space for stays, and easily pulls a car. We use it 12-15 weekends a year and travel Midwest states.

I didn’t have use for a large truck, and wanted bigger than a class C. After using the class A, I don’t think I would change to the other options.

Edit: For those saying just use hotel rooms..... are there hotel rooms between Hilton and JTS? Uh-huh, thought so. :)

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and aauummm

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Good idea, with the dog thing, probably those two are your best option. Just tow a small car to get around.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Everyone has their own preferred method of travel. The wife and I have been retired for almost 12 years now and have traveled before retirement (motels, resorts, and restaurants) and after retirement (motorhomes). We do everything from weekend trips, tailgating, two month long trips with the granddaughter, trips to visit relatives all across the country, to full winters in Texas or Southern California. We always travel with our three cats.

After retirement we started the RV thing with a 30' Class C, towing a Honda CRV. Basement storage was limited and space inside was cramped with the cab taking up a large part of that 30'. We traded it for a 35' Class A with two slideouts, towing the Honda. We then traded that one in on a 34' Class A that has three slides. The floorplan is ideal for us as the TV is on the wall in the living room and opposite the couch and euro recliner, just like at home. The dining table is extendable and built into a credenza (buffet) below the TV. The captain's chairs swivel around to become part of the living room. We also like the ability to go to the bathroom, tend to the cats, watch TV, or grab a snack, all while moving down the road. 100_2888 resized1.jpg

The 34' Class A is an ideal length for us as it fits into our driveway for loading, unloading and maintenance and is easily maneuvered around our cul-de-sac. It fits into a lot of National Park campsites as well as state and local park campsites and private campgrounds that larger units would not be able to. We usually have no problems getting into and out of gas stations and shopping centers to buy supplies.

We chose gas motorhomes as it is hard to find a 34' diesel with the floorplan that we wanted. Also, I do my own maintenance which is easier to do on a gas model.

We tow either a Jeep Wrangler or Honda CRV depending on where we are going. Both are towed with four wheels down without modification to the drive trains. They are very popular towed vehicles for motorhome users as they are lightweight, economical and easy to hookup to the motorhome. On extended stays we do a lot of day trips and exploring off-highway which these vehicles are very useful for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cygrads and 2020cy

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
RV. Drive comfortably. Get tired, pull over, sleep. Set up camp if you want to, or simply park in a Walmart parking lot until you get where you want to be stationary for a few days. During football season you're ready to head back to Ames and park for 6 weekends.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: cygrads and aauummm

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Nice. What model do you guys have now?
Ours is an Itasca/Winnebago, Sunova/Sightseer 33c. Actual length is 34'-4". There are a few other models/brands that have a similar floorplan. Itasca/Winnebago has the exact same floorplan in their diesel models; Journey/Meridian 34y. The picture in my previous post was taken before I made some modifications to the interior. The TV was changed from 42" to 52" and lowered, the flooring was changed to luxury vinyl planks and the factory wall art was replaced.

https://winnebagoind.com/product-resources/product-information

Last edited:
Reactions: CTTB78

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Thanks to all. We will be going to the show next weekend in DSM and plan on renting a class A or C this summer to try it out.
Des Moines RV (RVOne Superstore) is building a huge new dealership in the Altoona Industrial Park. I am guessing from looking at their construction that they'll be open there this spring or early summer. They have complete lines and brands of Class A's, C's, B's, fifth wheels and lightweight travel trailers. They may rent them out also. I'm sure that they will have display models open for viewing, so there is another avenue to check out different units and right in our backyard basically.

https://www.rvone.com/desmoinesrv/

Reactions: cygrads

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
If your going to live in it for weeks at a time. Class A is the only way to go. Plenty of room and smooth driving.

If you will be driving a lot of miles you will want a diesel.

I own a bumper pull camper with a half ton truck. It's fine for camping a few hours from home on the weekends. But long trips I would want an upgrade.
I'm in the same boat. If going for long trips I would upgrade to 5th wheel or at least a 2500 pick up

Help Support Us

Become a patron