San Diego - recommendations?

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
My wife and I will be taking a getaway trip to San Diego in a couple months. We are staying in the Imperial Beach area. Anybody been there and have any recommendations on things to do or places to eat, etc?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
La Jolla Shores and Cove are pretty cool places to check out if you can get there. One of my favorite places to eat is in Little Italy - Filippi's Pizza Grotto. I believe it was in Imperial Beach where I ate at this awesome burrito joint by the beach, but sadly I don't remember anything else. Lots of great places to get good Mexican food in Old Town. It's a neat area to walk around too.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
http://www.cheeseshoplajolla.com/link_pages/menu.html

The Cheese Shop in La Jolla. My wife and I go to Del Mar every other year and we always make 2-3 stops at this place while we're in town. It's a perfect quick lunch spot and the turkey, jack and avocado is what dreams are made of. If you're up for an adventure, right next door is a place to go on an ocean kayaking tour through caves and such. La Jolla is just a neat place to do something like that and eat some lunch and relax.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
Also, IMPO, avoid Ocean Beach. We went to the OB Noodle House and it was just okay and I thought OB was a dump and just a bunch of burned out surfers. Del Mar racetrack is a cool place to take in horse races (Bing Crosby is one of the founders of the track). Balbou Park is a neat place to check out too.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Can't say i've been to the imperial beach area. Mission beach is nice.

San Diego zoo and safari park definitely have a lot worth seeing.

Balboa park has a lot of interesting museums.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I got back last month after our first trip to SD. Don't know if you drink but I'll add some of those as well.

Keep in mind that we had a rental car for 2 days and did Uber the rest of the time.

Since I was forcing my wife to go to so many craft beer places I thought we'd start with something she liked. Drove up to Temecula and visited a few winery's. Had an excellent lunch at a place called The Goat & Vine.

Didn't eat anywhere fancy the whole time we were there.

Breakfast
Kono's Cafe-Excellent. Right on the water. Huge portions.
The Mission(J street)-Food was good but my god they have a homeless problem in this area.
Snooze-Excellent

Lunch or Dinner
The Taco Stand-Lajolla-Be prepared to wait in line but very good
Oscars Mexican Seafood-Fish Taco's. The best I've ever had.
Pizza Port OB-Good pizza/Great beer-Very casual

Things to do
Really enjoyed going on a 3 hour sailboat (Sail San Diego)
Zoo
Midway
La Jolla Cove

Bars/Breweries
4 star-Toronado Bar, Modern Times,Stone
3 star-Belching Beaver, Rip Current,Societe,BottleCraft

Things to skip
I wouldn't go back to Coronado

If you go to the zoo it includes a bus ride around the park. DO THIS!!!! We didn't and ended up walking about 20 miles.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Went to San Diego almost 8 years ago, the two things I really remember were the zoo and the USS Midway.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
You can also check out the "Top Gun Bar" where part of said movie was filmed. The owner of this fine establishment was in the movie for a split second. JK, that place is a dive, but worth a visit. It's called the Kansas City Barbecue.

Oh yeah, Balboa Park is cool and and the Hotel Del Coronado is worth a visit, IMO.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Been to San Diego twice and unfortunately only remember going deep sea fishing one day. While it was a blast, and would do it again in a heart beat, not sure if that's a "couple's" thing.