San Francisco/Santa Cruz/Monterey

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We're heading out that way for a short get-a-way. The wife and I were out there many years ago and had a great time. We're bringing a teenage daughter with us this time. We've got a few things on the list and I'm not opposed to touristy things since it will be my daughter's first time out that way. But, since it's been probably 18 years, I'm sure a ton has changed.

Any must-see or must-avoid locations? We've done Alcatraz and I know my daughter won't be up for that, especially knowing that it takes up a good chunk of time. We'll mix in some city along with some outdoors. I know the beaches are too cold to swim, but what are the best ones for scenery? We'd like to check out some redwoods and hiking, but my wife is a bit limited with some foot issues, so strenuous hikes are a no-go at the moment.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Alcatraz is a cool tour, not a huge time commitment. You can take it on your own pace, and they have boats pulling up to the dock periodically to take people back. Take a trip across the bridge to Sausalito, check out Muir Woods for the redwoods. Monterey is a nice drive south. Good aquarium, 17 Mile Drive, Carmel, etc.

Big homeless issues, people pooping everywhere and plenty of shoplifting. Otherwise a cool city to visit, couldn't live there.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
I lived in the area (Salinas) for several years as a kid. Beautiful. The boardwalk in Santa Cruz is fun. Gilroy Gardens would be fun for early teenage kids. If you are going to go to a wharf, my advice is the fisherman’s wharf in Monterey. San Francisco is just too busy for us. We prefer the lower key lifestyle in Monterey. Carmel is cool to visit the mission and learn of the discovery and founding of the area, including the terrible treatment of native Americans. Also, the houses in Carmel are really cool too. Hope I can help. I will try to think of some other things that are nice and low key to do in the area.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I lived in the area (Salinas) for several years as a kid. Beautiful. The boardwalk in Santa Cruz is fun. Gilroy Gardens would be fun for early teenage kids. If you are going to go to a wharf, my advice is the fisherman’s wharf in Monterey. San Francisco is just too busy for us. We prefer the lower key lifestyle in Monterey. Carmel is cool to visit the mission and learn of the discovery and founding of the area, including the terrible treatment of native Americans. Also, the houses in Carmel are really cool too. Hope I can help. I will try to think of some other things that are nice and low key to do in the area.

We'll probably spend a day up in San Fran and the rest of the time in a more relaxed setting. We're definitely spending some time in Monterey/Carmel. We were out there initially because a friend of mine was married there, and I loved the area. We're planning on taking in the aquarium at some point since I didn't get a chance to the last time. Although, San Fran's aquarium also looked pretty amazing. Do you have any opinion if one better than the other?

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
The Monterey aquarium is world renowned but is also very expensive. It is along cannery row, which is also cool. I have not been to either aquarium. If you get the opportunity to head by the university area in Monterey, there is a great Crepe place called Monterey crepe company. I still make crepes to this day based on the ones we had there.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Currently live in SF, formerly in Oakland, and wife is from Santa Cruz. If you're in Monterey, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is amazing (skip the San Francisco aquarium in Fisherman's Wharf, it's small and pretty crappy). Take a drive and hike around Pebble Beach; maybe the only toll road I've ever seen that's tolled because it's so beautiful. For Monterey/Carmel, stay in Carmel-by-the-Sea.

If you're only in SF for a day, and it's your daughter's first time; do the touristy stuff. Drive across the Golden Gate bridge and check out Muir Woods (Muir Woods parking requires a reservation now), hike around Land's End, get lunch at the Ferry Building, maybe take the ferry to Alcatraz.

Three things to note:
  1. Don't leave anything in your car in the Bay Area. Income inequality is massive here, and where income inequality is large, property crime follows pretty closely. In SF, avoid the Tenderloin and 6th St in SOMA, lots of Fentanyl aficionados and people yelling at ghosts.
  2. Currently I'm in my house, looking at Mt Sutro shrouded in fog, bundled up in slippers and a hoodie. It's 55 degrees out right now. Summer doesn't really hit SF until September/October. Conversely, I was at my MIL's house last weekend, and it was 91 degrees in the Santa Cruz mountains. Bring layers and a coat.
  3. Be prepared for traffic. SF, Santa Cruz, and Monterey aren't far away on the map, but traffic does exist and will slow your drive a bit.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Do yourself a favor and eat at the Stinking Rose

edit: looks like they're closed because of the rona

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If you've got your teen in tow I recommend at least a drive past the Haight Ashbury neighborhood.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Currently live in SF, formerly in Oakland, and wife is from Santa Cruz. If you're in Monterey, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is amazing (skip the San Francisco aquarium in Fisherman's Wharf, it's small and pretty crappy). Take a drive and hike around Pebble Beach; maybe the only toll road I've ever seen that's tolled because it's so beautiful. For Monterey/Carmel, stay in Carmel-by-the-Sea.

If you're only in SF for a day, and it's your daughter's first time; do the touristy stuff. Drive across the Golden Gate bridge and check out Muir Woods (Muir Woods parking requires a reservation now), hike around Land's End, get lunch at the Ferry Building, maybe take the ferry to Alcatraz.

Three things to note:
  1. Don't leave anything in your car in the Bay Area. Income inequality is massive here, and where income inequality is large, property crime follows pretty closely. In SF, avoid the Tenderloin and 6th St in SOMA, lots of Fentanyl aficionados and people yelling at ghosts.
  2. Currently I'm in my house, looking at Mt Sutro shrouded in fog, bundled up in slippers and a hoodie. It's 55 degrees out right now. Summer doesn't really hit SF until September/October. Conversely, I was at my MIL's house last weekend, and it was 91 degrees in the Santa Cruz mountains. Bring layers and a coat.
  3. Be prepared for traffic. SF, Santa Cruz, and Monterey aren't far away on the map, but traffic does exist and will slow your drive a bit.

I generally don't leave much of anything in a car ever, but we'll be travelling light. Also, good info about the aquarium, I was wondering if the pics were deceiving.

We hit Muir Woods when we were out there and were debating doing it again. Reserved parking is new, though.

I learned my lesson about the temps the last time. We went to a night-time game at then SBC Park in shorts and t-shirts and froze our asses off. Probably the only time I've consumed hot chocolate in July in my life.

Thanks for the info.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We were just out there, started in SF and drove down to LA over the course of a week.

Alcatraz was probably my favorite thing we did. Do the 17-mile drive around the Pebble Beach area, it costs $10 but there are some amazing stops for views along the way, as well as Pebble Beach golf course. Point Lobos State Park just south of Carmel had some really neat hiking trails and scenery.

Help Support Us

Become a patron