Scheelhasse oc

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
How is that motion used, though? I can count on my hand the number of times the guy in motion has done anything other than do some cardio out there. I understand that the purpose is more to gauge what the defense is in, but I'll still contend that ISU has been woefully lacking in creativity on offense, including actually getting the ball to the motion guy every now and then.

To your post about the RPO, I'll only believe it's an RPO if the QB doesn't hand it off 99% of the time. At that point, the RPO just isn't being taught correctly and that goes back to a coaching/scheme issue.
I don’t know, how is that motion used? You don’t know what’s happening because you don’t know.

• Dumb
Reactions: cyclonehomer

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I know this has been said before, but please remember if we catch four more wide open passes then we have a winning record.
No, we don;t. I'm sorry but I hate that argument in sports.

Because you then presume the rest of the game goes EXACTLY the same way other than those 4 passes. Iowa could say, well, if you got those 4 passes, then we get OUR 4 passes or blocks to make a bigger run, etc.

Its a pointless argument and one that teams that lose games make. Its like, if I told my crush in 2019 I liked her in 2019 instead of screwing around, does she end up with me instead of some other guy she's currently with? Maybe, but maybe something happens and we don't end up together anyways. Or maybe we do.

My point is - you simply can't say I'm going to change 4 things and then expect that the rest of the game goes the same way. Things only went the way they did because those catches WEREN'T made. If they had been made, we have no idea what would have happened. Maybe we win. Maybe Iowa gets a pick six on the next play and they score 27 instead of 13. Its impossible to say.

Last edited:

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
We all know darn well that Nate could go to another team next year and be successful as an OC... but he has no chance to be successful as an OC under CMC.... none. Feel bad for him honestly. He never should have taken this OC job.
I'm not saying you're wrong but based on .... what? Guy's never been a OC. Do I think he could have success? Sure.

But I also would have much rather preferred an outside hire and a guy who has had more experience as an OC because that would have told me that Campbell was serious about being open minded about the offense and someone who could realistically say shut up coach, I'm calling the play, and get away with it.

Nate's promotion told me from the jump that this was an offense that essentially was going to look like this and that Manning was the sacrificial child.

I mean, looking at his resume, he was a assistant DFO, RB, RB, WR and running game coach now OC. So, again... I don't see the evidence to say that we all know he'd be successful. We very well could be. But he has no track record as a play caller to suggest that it'd be a sure thing.

Reactions: Drew0311 and Die4Cy

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't get it. He may be a great coach. However, can't we afford to get a proven guy who has done it before? I mean we are a major program. Go get a guy with a proven offensive scheme. I mean if you think about it, Nate has been learning from Manning. Do we really want the understudy of the guy we just fired?

Whomever said this nailed it. Wait that was me

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not saying you're wrong but based on .... what? Guy's never been a OC. Do I think he could have success? Sure.

But I also would have much rather preferred an outside hire and a guy who has had more experience as an OC because that would have told me that Campbell was serious about being open minded about the offense and someone who could realistically say shut up coach, I'm calling the play, and get away with it.

Nate's promotion told me from the jump that this was an offense that essentially was going to look like this and that Manning was the sacrificial child.

Just because they promoted in house does not mean that NS can't be an effective OC at this level. Manning was scapegoated, but somebody needs to force the issue on offense now. The style of play is 100% on CMC. 100%.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just because they promoted in house does not mean that NS can't be an effective OC at this level. Manning was scapegoated, but somebody needs to force the issue on offense now. The style of play is 100% on CMC. 100%.

You know that Nate wasn't allowed to actually be his own OC because our offense is the exact same crap as it was under Manning. The only constant is CMC. He stubbornly refuses to open the game up until he is desperate, but by then it has been way too late the last two weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
We all know darn well that Nate could go to another team next year and be successful as an OC... but he has no chance to be successful as an OC under CMC.... none. Feel bad for him honestly. He never should have taken this OC job.
Campbell is a convincing talker.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
One score games, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.......... I don't want any of these coaches to lose their jobs, nor do I think they should lose their jobs. But that football product that is on the field every week, is a vision/product of the coaches and should change. It looks like every game is scripted to end that way. I am no football expert by any means, but I refuse to think our players are not capable.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This week the offense either is opened up and we move the ball down the field, or the season is over. Is the way that I look at it. We have had three games with a data that shows that our current offense cannot score points on a consistent basis. Its time to try something different, hell how about the staff just watches the Chiefs today to maybe gets some idea's on how to get guys open downfield.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I still can’t get over using a timeout on 4th and short only to punt
I can, he's indecisive and questioning his own coaching strategies right now.

I'd say he was about 90% ready to go for it, thought about it a little harder, then realized if he doesn't get it the the most catastrophic thing imaginable would have happened......giving up 30 yards of field position.

Hence the timeout so he could think things over longer instead of making off the cuff decisions.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
He is doing the best he can, give him three more years to figure it out. At least he is not as conservative as Earle Bruce. ;)

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
I’m now of the opinion that Manning was just fine with leaving or actually left on his own. The results of this season lead me to that. You think our new OC can’t come up with different ideas, concepts, and schemes? He is running what Campbell wants and nothing will change until Campbell “allows” the change.

Reactions: xboxfever

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
No, we don;t. I'm sorry but I hate that argument in sports.

Because you then presume the rest of the game goes EXACTLY the same way other than those 4 passes. Iowa could say, well, if you got those 4 passes, then we get OUR 4 passes or blocks to make a bigger run, etc.

Its a pointless argument and one that teams that lose games make. Its like, if I told my crush in 2019 I liked her in 2019 instead of screwing around, does she end up with me instead of some other guy she's currently with? Maybe, but maybe something happens and we don't end up together anyways. Or maybe we do.

My point is - you simply can't say I'm going to change 4 things and then expect that the rest of the game goes the same way. Things only went the way they did because those catches WEREN'T made. If they had been made, we have no idea what would have happened. Maybe we win. Maybe Iowa gets a pick six on the next play and they score 27 instead of 13. Its impossible to say.
Duh. You mean the plays will change if we catch four more balls. That is your point? No kidding. It's about odds, trends, and would the game tilt our way with those catches? I say it would..